Dynadot

information The US Government no longer supports .com domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameInbox

Top Member
Impact
US Government agencies and organizations take notice: .com is out, .gov (and .mil) are in.

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) released guidance last week, updating existing requirements for Federal domain names—including .gov or .mil domains—and marking another critical move in delivering trusted interactions to visitors of official government sites.

Does this mean USPS.com will have to move to USPS.gov? Quite possibly.

gov-domains.jpg

Federal agencies must use government domains, such as .gov and .mil, for all official communications, information, and services.
As of April 2021, .gov domains are free of charge to all eligible registrants, including agencies. Agencies should register new domains, reuse existing domains, and retire unused domains to meet their operational needs; clearly communicate information; and deliver trustworthy and recognizable public services.

The official web site to register .gov domain names as an approved agency is Get.gov

Source: https://domaingang.com/domain-news/the-us-government-no-longer-supports-com-domains/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will it be possible to get some dropped ex-gov .COM, .ORG domains ???
Maybe some even with emails :xf.wink: Like @DomainSpace.me had picked up
" Some of the employees are still using email addresses associated with this domain for things such as Apple accounts and other business accounts. "

Is it a good step or just wasting time and money ?
Colorado may spend $2 million to switch to .gov.
https://coloradosun.com/2022/12/19/colorado-government-domain-extension/

Any thought on it.
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
While switching to .gov seems like a good plan moving forward, dropping instead of redirecting the existing domains would be plain stupid... so totally possible.

•••
They can sell the .com domains easy.
But I agree with them the switch is very proper for such GOV websites.

•••
They can sell the .com domains easy.
But I agree with them the switch is very proper for such GOV websites.
Thanks

p.s. Oh, @iTesla
Now You have brandable impact number :xf.wink:
1676215171887.png

Last edited:
•••
usps will stay on .com, I guess

•••
This is clearly a very sound move on the part of the US government, and hopefully will actually spread to cities and states as well.
This would help improve the security of communications with government entities.

For the USPS, this would especially make sense.

Hopefully, for any previous .coms being used, they will be blocked from being sold or further used at this point, to help eliminate potential mischief from the transition.

•••
•••
Yes, they offer commercial services, so it's only logical.
Yes, USPS is a combination of commercial and government services. However, since there is direct government oversight, and has a federal-employee workforce. Security is very important for the postal service, and having the .gov may make sense IF this provides additional protection.

•••
About USPS, I just now noticed:
wedeliverforyou .com

is taken, but not dev
USPS slogan :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Is there a list of most important .gov websites in the world?
Thanks.

•••
•••
Does this mean USPS.com will have to move to USPS.gov? Quite possibly.
Whois says the usps.gov is 'ACTIVE' which only appears to be returned when it's setup...

1676382628489.png

•••
It is very concerning that an easily overlooked domain renewal can have impacts on businesses and even government agencies if someone picks it up after expiration, as was pointed out in the OP where I was tagged. It can be a huge security risk, and should not be taken lightly. I think by forcing any and all government agencies to use .gov domains would be a huge step in the right direction.

•••
•••
•••
I don't have enough information to prove the true purpose of this initiative. But I would guess that perhaps they were able to prevent potential abuse or fraud by strictly limiting the registrant requirements.

For example, if example.com is now an official government website, then criminals might be able to use theexample, examples, examplee, exampel, etc. as similar or misspelled words to commit fraud. Once they have control of the root server, then they can deny registration to fraudsters and they only need to focus their efforts on advertising popularity. IMO

•••
•••
It makes sense for government agencies to relocate to .gov, but if a government agency is using some other TLD at the moment then it should be used to redirect to .gov or have its records deleted, and it should not sell for the foreseeable future. If someone else gets their hands on the domain there's nothing preventing them from using the traffic to promote spam, spread malware, or used it to create an email address to scam people.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back