IT.COM

advice The truth hurts. Let it. Learn from it. Grow.

NameSilo
Watch

The Group

VIP Member
Impact
The first time I asked for a valuation from the community on one of my first domain names, I was shut down. I hated it. It felt awful and I fought the whole way trying to stand my ground. Even though I was wrong, I didn't want to admit it to myself. My ego had taken over and I thought I had re-invented the wheel with registering domain names. Sound familiar? Anyone? ;)

I want to thank those who told me the truth - because that is exactly what I needed to hear when I was first starting and even to this day. When those names didn't do well, I was able to reflect, open up and really take into consideration what the general consensus was on the domain names.

What i'm getting at here is that if you are new to the community and to domain name investing or even if you have been around for a while with no success - do not be offended or let your ego take hold when the vast majority of replies are not to you liking when it comes to valuating your domain names. Take the advice with a grain of salt and apply it to your next purchase. The objective isn't to shut you down, it is merely to inform you and save you a lot of money. A lot of us started by spending money on domain names of no value - we've all gone through that cycle at one point or another. Breath, take the advice, ask some questions and learn. Most importantly, remember, it's all about staying positive and setting goals :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A lot of us started by spending money on domain names of no value - we've all gone through that cycle at one point or another. Breath, take the advice, ask some questions and learn. Most importantly, remember, it's all about staying positive and setting goals.

This just made me little positive after my first stupid buy :)
Thanks

•••
I'm a seasoned business guy having started over 20 businesses, however I'm having difficulty understanding certain aspects of this industry? Take the appraisal aspect for example...I've discovered that domain appraisals are all over the place with no apparent rhyme or reason. This post is titled "Perfect Description", and if a particular domain describes your business/brand "perfectly" the appraisal process doesn't recognize it. Take for example, "FirstCarMemories".com What I do know is, this domain describes my business perfectly. While it has three words (good descriptive words I might add), and 16 letters total, appraisals don't seem to take this into account? I've accumulated over 450 domain names over the last 12 months, 90% of which apply to brands/businesses I'm developing. What I've learned about GoDaddy's appraisal program is that it's a joke!
I think all my domains together appraise for over a half million dollars, while other appraisers don't even appraise my domains for what I paid for them, or approximately 4K.

As another example, I own the domains, "Bulloney".com, "BullShitHappens".com, "BSHappens".com, "FakeNewsHappens".com, "Awesomenot".com etc., and I know very well these domains are good for political satire and commentary. Frankly, practical and business common sense tell me these domains have value beyond what I paid for them, but some of their appraisals come back at ZERO....another joke!

What Gives?

Bulloney!

•••
Frankly, practical and business common sense tell me these domains have value beyond what I paid for them, but some of their appraisals come back at ZERO....another joke!

What Gives?

Welcome to Namepros. There is no easy answer. The appraisals are all guess work, quotes are all guess work, selling prices are all guess work. You need to study, there are tons of threads here explaining various scenarios. Some are zero or what you paid to register them. Don't waste time believing automated bot's that give estimates on Godaddy or like Estibot.

If you look at Namebio and shortnames you can see what names sold for at a both wholesale, retail and auction platforms. But like stocks past performance does not mean any guarantees of future performance.

Some names were shill bidded up, and have changed hands between numerous parties and some have fallen in value.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/bidding-on-your-own-names-at-namejet.1030874/

There are so many factors and categories- some of which depend on trends- like Drones, Marijuana and Bitcoin is the current trend, thousands registered- a few will sell most will not and be dropped after a couple years. You have "brandables" made up invented words or 2 short words for example that sell on like Brandbucket normally all of the non LLLL.com for $1500-3000. I don't recommend them though as if you read the past years portion of the "Brandbucket experience" thread you will see their game of owners and insiders being favored in the search. It's pathetic, and 50,000 names too- start on page 298.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/brandbucket-experience.793278/page-298

"Liquid domains" vary all over and markets change. LLLL.com's random non chinese interest stuff that include vowels and V- worth now $150-200, whereas 6 months ago they were $250-300. Chinese LLLL "Chips" with non western letters like XYTP.com are now $900-1100 (if you generalize). CVCV if it is a good name like Lola . com sold for 1/2 million earlier this year. 3 word names- normally have the lowest value. 2 word names, some are not worth reg fee. Some are worth alot if they can be turned into a brand, that someone else wants. Who would have guessed the word "Ethereum" and would be a trend? There is a post about $10 million asking price right now for it. ETH just sold, I don't recall.

If you wholesale 2 word names they sell from $15-60 it seems. One dictionary words dot com's are the most valuable and vary all over the place in values depending upon who is selling them.

Then to add to more confusion- you see huge price swings like this:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/le...of-owners-bidding-in-auctions.1030988/page-10

Then if you read the end of this thread the great dictionary word black dot com is first offered for 10 million, then a few months later for $750K, then back to 1.8 then 2.9, go figure.

So there is a bit to dig into.
What gives? = "whatever the market will bear".

Enjoy.

•••
The biggest mistake made is buying too many domains. Buy a few and sell them before buying more.
I've already done that. I didn't even recognize is as an error, but the scales are dropping from the eyeballs already. Thanks.

•••
Hi. Thanks for your post. It got me even more motivated then i was before getting into this thread.

I have learned many many important things and tools for life while serving the army. Let me share a little experience I had during my trainings..its long, but It has a moral, i promise:

4 months after i was recruited we had this kind of "field week" which i cannot really detail much about it.. But one act was really unforgettable: it was about 4.00 am, the sun was still asleep, our officer who was in charge threw a smoke gas into our "tent" to wake us up.. My balls was freezing as hell and I just wanted to bury myself.. After we checked everybody had woke up we took a walk for about 5 km. then we stopped. Infront of us - 800 meters of dried river (it was in the desert). Across it there was a 600 meter-high hill. The other side was almost invisible. Then the officer spoke: "good morning. Can anyone tell me where are we heading?". One soldier replied: "To the other side of the river, I assume". "That is incorrect", said the officer. "Anyone else?". I was shocked. I thought to myself oh dear lord is he aiming for the top of the hill?. "To the TOP of the hill!" He said with a devilish smile. He then added quickly: "and how are we going to get there?" --- silence. No one dared to give him an idea... But he already knew the answer - " by C R A W L I N G. 20 fresh, spoiled (well, Im talking about myself now) soldiers who sipped hot cocoa under the cozy blankey only 6 months ago are now facing a vast, ruthless, muddy, rocky, thorny, merciless 1.4 km-long road. You name it. I almost pee'd in my pants i remember.. " DOWN TO CRAWLING-STATE" he shouted, oh and we went down... I can still smell the sand haha. I didnt believe it was possible for a human being to do it. Guess what. I DID. 02:24:51 (hours) is the time it took me to make it to the top. I finished last. Every cell in my body was fighting me to stop in every single step i did. But i fought back. And I WON. Didnt recognize myself after looking in the mirror, but it didnt matter to me. I dont care i finished last. TO ME I FINISHED FIRST.

FOLKS, EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Ive learned it through my own flesh. And i can tell you now.

This is why i keep study domaining. I am 100% sure I will succeed in this at some point. And im confident enough to say ill succeed in life, at one time or another. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

Thanks for reading, hope it will help some desperate folks around here and keep their head up!

* My sincere appologies for any grammar mistakes made!
Excellent!

•••
Excellent!
Hi. Thanks for your post. It got me even more motivated then i was before getting into this thread.

I have learned many many important things and tools for life while serving the army. Let me share a little experience I had during my trainings..its long, but It has a moral, i promise:

4 months after i was recruited we had this kind of "field week" which i cannot really detail much about it.. But one act was really unforgettable: it was about 4.00 am, the sun was still asleep, our officer who was in charge threw a smoke gas into our "tent" to wake us up.. My balls was freezing as hell and I just wanted to bury myself.. After we checked everybody had woke up we took a walk for about 5 km. then we stopped. Infront of us - 800 meters of dried river (it was in the desert). Across it there was a 600 meter-high hill. The other side was almost invisible. Then the officer spoke: "good morning. Can anyone tell me where are we heading?". One soldier replied: "To the other side of the river, I assume". "That is incorrect", said the officer. "Anyone else?". I was shocked. I thought to myself oh dear lord is he aiming for the top of the hill?. "To the TOP of the hill!" He said with a devilish smile. He then added quickly: "and how are we going to get there?" --- silence. No one dared to give him an idea... But he already knew the answer - " by C R A W L I N G. 20 fresh, spoiled (well, Im talking about myself now) soldiers who sipped hot cocoa under the cozy blankey only 6 months ago are now facing a vast, ruthless, muddy, rocky, thorny, merciless 1.4 km-long road. You name it. I almost pee'd in my pants i remember.. " DOWN TO CRAWLING-STATE" he shouted, oh and we went down... I can still smell the sand haha. I didnt believe it was possible for a human being to do it. Guess what. I DID. 02:24:51 (hours) is the time it took me to make it to the top. I finished last. Every cell in my body was fighting me to stop in every single step i did. But i fought back. And I WON. Didnt recognize myself after looking in the mirror, but it didnt matter to me. I dont care i finished last. TO ME I FINISHED FIRST.

FOLKS, EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Ive learned it through my own flesh. And i can tell you now.

This is why i keep study domaining. I am 100% sure I will succeed in this at some point. And im confident enough to say ill succeed in life, at one time or another. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

Thanks for reading, hope it will help some desperate folks around here and keep their head up!

* My sincere appologies for any grammar mistakes made!
I don't know if you're still around LoneDeRanger, but I just read your post from 2015. I never served in the Army or any other branch of the armed services for that matter, but I was blessed with a "gene" called "Believe in Yourself" I've started, managed owned and NAMED businesses in a variety of industries. The first hurdle I needed to overcome a few years ago is "your domains suck" and you'll never make it in this industry. To a certain extent my names did suck, but I persevered and my portfolio of a little over 1,000 domains no longer sucks. I don't own any what would be considered "Premium" domains, but I do own domains startups and rebranders need:xf.wink: I'm still around much to the chagrin of many of my critics, but if it weren't for their challenge I may have given up. I believe in myself enough that my critics only add to my motivation. I just luv it when someone tells me "you can't do that" or "you're bad for our industry" I've never been bad for any industry I've ever worked for...to the contrary, I add value wherever I go and the domain industry is no different. Anyway, thanks for your post and I agree 100% with your words; "FOLKS, EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE."

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back