Dynadot

The scamming moves from the internet to my phone!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I got a phone call tonight. It was from a number that had only 8 digits in it. The guy had a Russian accent. He told me that I had been granted a grant from the Governmental Grant Association. $5000, to be exact. No strings attached; I didn't have to pay it back. I just needed to verify my bank name. They wouldn't need anything else from me. At this point in the conersation, I asked the guy to repeat this back to me because I couldn't hear him well. He then accused me of speaking French. I said no, I speak English. "Oh, well you need to take English lessons because your English isn't very good." I said, "Maybe we should take English lessons together because I'm having trouble understanding you." He said to me, "I don't speak English. I've been speaking Spanish."

COULD THIS GET ANY WEIRDER? I was laughing so hard.

Then he asked if I was an American citizen. I said that I was a proud US citizen. He said that was actually why I won this grant -- because I'm a good citizen and "way smart." I talked about being a citizen for a while, and then he asked me if I was giving him the runaround because I had kept him on the phone for 15 minutes, and I didn't seem very interested in my grant.

Eventually, I said a bank that I am not a member with. The guy said, "Good, good, now I believe the routing numbers on your check are blah, blah, blach" (Clearly, once they get a bank name and know your location, they can get the routing number.) "That's all you need from me, right?" I asked. "Yes, yes. Oh wait, what are those numbers after those numbers? I didn't write them down." Me: "Ohhhh! So you want me to give you my account numbers? You think that I'm a complete idiot. I gotcha. Never call this number again."

It really scares me to know that there are people out there who fall for this stuff. Geez. But it entertained me for a few minutes. I still can't believe that the guy tried to tell me that he wasn't speaking English. I think they need to train these guys a bit better :)

-Allan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
:lol:!

Very interesting story:D.

I remember getting occasional calls saying "This is **** Vacations. You have won a free, all inclusive trip to *********!"

These people have nothing better to do, I guess, other than annoying the **** out of us :notme:!

True_Snake

•••
I know some of these guys think they are actually working a legit job but I love hanging up on them.. we don't get many because we're on the Do Not Call list but occasionally...

•••
hehe my friend rang up a pizza shop and asked for whalebone and lion meat pizza...
she rangup about 6 times lol

•••
Whalebone and lion pizza :D.

Yep, people do fall for these foolish stuff. Gotta be careful, Why don't these guys be like normal people, get normal jobs and stuff yuh know.

•••
I remember once, when this lady called about long distance rates, and asked where I called the most. I said "I call all over the world". She's like "Well we have great rates.. blah blah." I asked about rates to the moon and she hung up!

:lol:

Yes...My life story:D!

True_Snake

•••
I'm sure there are people out there that are careless enough to fall for that
One should always have a keen mind!

•••
I wish theyd call me... sounds like you had a hell uva time lol!

•••
If you ever get a call from a female, ask her is she is good looking. Then before she answers say it doesnt matter that you and your buddy just got out of prision after 10 years and ask her to come over for a little party, just the 3 of you.. :P

•••
:lol:
I recieved a phone call from someone. The person on the phone was obviouslly a real person, but didn't reply to anything I said. She said something under the lines of this:

Hi. I am from the *** *** corporation and we believe that someone in your household has entered a competition which you have won. You have won a guaranteed share of £10000 (ie: anywhere from £1 to £10000). Please phone 09********.

I put the phone down straight away because, no-offence anyone who has fallen for this, I am not a dumbass! Everyone knows that (definitely in the UK) 09 numbers are chargeable at the owners rate, and usually EXTREMELY HIGH as well!

Its nice to know that there are some sensible ppl in this world though! Well done Allan :)

•••
Reminds me of the Nigeria scam I receive every day. Like, I was chosen to transport 26 million dollars from Nigeria to the US, I get half if I help. If you respond, turns out you have to pay some $1000 fee to get it done. Once you pay it 26 mil is gone :D

•••
Crazy story, Allan.

Maybe you or someone could answer this. The scammers were just seeking to get your routing number and bank account number, right. Yet everytime we write somebody a check, that information is there for the taking. How come banks don't warn us to be careful who we write checks to?

•••
Part of it is due to the protection for the consumer that is granted to prevent check fraud. For instance: heavy fines and/or jail time for anyone who forges/alters/modifies or in any other way abuses the knowledge you pass on in the form of that little piece of paper.
We aren't granted the same protections if we just give out our bank account # over the phone.
Smallest of differences can have the hugest of impacts (Like the huge differences b/n the protection you receive paying for something with a credit card vs. paying for something with a debit card).
That's at least part of my take on it, but at the same time, I think the banks put at least a little bit of faith in people not to be this stupid.
But yes, all they needed was the name of the bank to get the routing # (You can find these lists online) and then the "#'s after those #'s....", well, that's the goody basket ;)
Some speculations above, but trying to apply knowledge to come to a conclusion.
Others might be able to better answer/fill in gaps as well.
-Allan

•••
Yep, we all have to be careful about scammers.They're everywhere.

And they're really trying newer and newer ways to get your routing number and the checking number and once they know that, they can wire transfer your money to another country which makes you hard to get it back..

Allan, your story is really inspiring, thanks for sharing with us.
We all have to be careful.

•••
I once got a call where it started like a normal conversation "hello.... *static* oh sorry, my cell phone is kind of bad..." and he goes on to talk about his carpet cleaning guys, but in the end it turned out to be a recording, but all because of that opening line with the staticy cell phone, I stayed to listen :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back