IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch
Have you ever flipped a regfee name for $x,xxx that you didn't buy from an aftermarket or dropped list? A name that you just thought of and looked up, it was available, you registered and it ended up selling in 4 figures? If you have, which one? How did you make the sale?

Big sale regfee names are always entertaining to read about :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good Thread Tom....

I'm also looking forward to know high valued handreg domains.

•••
Yes flipped an expired domain I regged for $0.99 for $2,400.

•••
Registered dropped domain for $15, sold for $1000 about four months later

•••
Would be great if you guys could share the actual domains so we can see what the quality was

•••
Will never share the domain, but let me say I had one I had regged way back when and when I retired, sold for $xx,xxx.

•••
For various reasons I cannot share the name.

•••
Great thread and idea. Will keep bookmarked. All my $X,XXX have been from the aftermarket so soon a hand reg will be reported on this post!

•••
Back in time, 2008, i handregged a .in ($3.99) domain when .in registry started open registration, and sold for low $x,xxx 1 month later.

•••
Bla bla the names and .com .net ??

•••
This is like, who won the lottery. These sales are rare and/or speculative

•••
Great thread.. Excited to see regfee domain selling strategy (if someone sharing it) :)

•••
some xx years ago (cant disclose ya know) i regged something (i cant disclose what that was and i also cant disclose the reasons why i cant disclose what i regged) in .xx extension (absolutely cant share, dont ask) and sold it xx minutes later (this is top secret info, i will be jailed if i tell ya) for a secret amount of money (i cant disclose the currency and how many X's there were after a currency sign but ya know there were many X's just as always with my regfee regs)

PS i cant share my name, my gender, age and nationality, location, height, weight, IQ, can only say I tell nothing but truth and I did not vote for Obama...
i'm not even sure i'm allowed to use English here at all cause as a rule i'm required to speak Morse code to my buyers and wear hijab while talking to them over skype... will report my next sale on xx-xx-20xx, check this thread often and keep your mouth closed - we are all in a very dangerous business..

•••
Sold Zumera dot com which I hand registered for $1,995

•••
xxxxxxxxxxxx.com $2,500-$3,000

Not disclosing for personal reasons, but this one happened 6 months into my domaining career.

This one pretty much just fell into my lap. I didn't have it listed anywhere at the moment, then I was contacted through GD domain buy service w/ a $500 offer. I figured the guy was committed since he paid $70 just to send the offer so I countered at $3,000. After a few days of negotiation he accepted one of my counter offers between $2,500-$3,000.

It wasn't some typical hand reg fyi, it was one where I saw it was available and I had it registered 15 seconds later. There are definitely some hand reg gems out there.

This is the sale that pretty much got me hooked to domaining.

Last edited:
•••
Hand registered 2 names and few months later sold it in following range,

One name was sold for $xx,xxx
Other names was sold for high $x,xxx

•••
More people sell hand registered names for very nice profits than you think...

Great thread!!!

•••
Great thread! So far...any $$$$ sales have been from aftermarket sites. Hoping that some of my hand reg's will be my pot of gold though! Curious where people are selling those hand reg's? Brandable sites, afternic, sedo?

•••
I think this kind of sales were more frequent some years ago, when the domain industry were younger and not so crowded.
Now i see "too many" domainers (especially beginners) and also considering the web evolution (i think we're going to talk about web 3.0 soon), the value and, most important, the appeal of the "generic" domains dropped drastically.
Those of you who remember years like 2007 - 2008 (when i started), it was way easier to manage a profitable domain sale.

My domain was a .in one, with the word "india" in it.
Registered at the end of November 2007 (sorry, checked better now) It was enough to post on some forums (most of them are dead now, i think i didn't post it on here for example, if i remember well, the "push-to-auction" thread weren't allowed years ago) i had this domain for sale on Sedo, and few days later (around Christmas) i received the first offer.
The auction reached low $x,xxx and ended just in time to wish a good domaining year to me (and it was!).

I remember i did it again the same, and received a offer on Sedo within 1 day (another .in with "india" inside), auction ended high $xxx. Also i remember i was able to catch dropped domains for reg-fee and flip them for high $xx - low $xxx within days or sometimes hours. I remember i won a Snapnames auction for a LLL.info for $120, and received an offer like 5 hours later for $300. This wasn't so rare as it is now.

Then the 2008-2009 crisis. During last years a lot of people have been attracted by all those $xx,xxx sales and joined this industry, and i'm not sure this is healthy right now.

Indeed i'm quite sure, guys, all these $x,xxx reg-fee sales we're talking here aren't so much recent.

•••
I've been domaining since 2005, while things have changed a bit, it is very possible to make money. One can flip a reg fee name, if not now in the future. Yes there are more beginners, that's not such a bad thing. Just look at the big fish w/ 10k names, they shouldn't have ownership, "we", the collective, newbies, small and medium sized domain holders can at the very least break even, and w/ luck patience and timing make a nice tidy profit. Yes, some will lose money too. But what I wouldn't have given to have regged the 6 figure names back then.

•••
I've been domaining since 2005, while things have changed a bit, it is very possible to make money. One can flip a reg fee name, if not now in the future. Yes there are more beginners, that's not such a bad thing. Just look at the big fish w/ 10k names, they shouldn't have ownership, "we", the collective, newbies, small and medium sized domain holders can at the very least break even, and w/ luck patience and timing make a nice tidy profit. Yes, some will lose money too. But what I wouldn't have given to have regged the 6 figure names back then.

Seems many missed the boat for hand regging names that are now worth lots of money. In todays market, as cut-throat as it is, being a beginner requires much more strategy.

•••
I have actually done it on numerous occasions.

Back in 2005 I hand regged a lot of .co.in/.in. Within 3 months I had sold more than 40 of them for more than $1K each. 26 of them were the Indian States.

Have done it quite a few times since but only once this year.

•••
While I have never sold a hand regged name for x,xxx a while back whois.cc was on the drop list and I thought about picking it up bet held off on it, someone else ended up picking it up at reg fee and sold it for $5,100 3 weeks later, oh well you live and learn I guess

•••
ah yes...another thread: the ones that got away. Names you let drop (by accident) or let slip through your fingers.

•••
Seems many missed the boat for hand regging names that are now worth lots of money. In todays market, as cut-throat as it is, being a beginner requires much more strategy.
There will be new things that come up in the future that no one has registered right now... registering future techonology/ideas etc will always be the key to flipping hand regs

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back