IT.COM

question The Power of Social Media...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
As a domain name investor, what has been your experience in using social media platforms to sell/promote your domain names?

Do you regularly use Facebook, Twitter, or Linkedin?
Has one worked for you, and if so which one?
Do you believe in the power of social media?

We use, and have bee using Twitter for some time. Although sales have come from using Twitter, it has certainly increased exposure to our brand/portfolio.

That has got to be something, right?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi @DefinitelyDomains , I have been using Twiiter, FB and LinkedIn for some time now. I can see a definite increase in auction/domain views via Twitter and possibly LinkedIn, but FB groups are a waste of time IMO. I cannot conclusively say that social media has aided in selling any of my names.

•••
Don't forget videos / YouTube... good place to test.

•••
Don't forget videos / YouTube... good place to test.

Good point. YouTube isn't something we have tried (yet) but can certainly see the potential in creating short videos for our premium names.

•••
Hi @DefinitelyDomains , I have been using Twiiter, FB and LinkedIn for some time now. I can see a definite increase in auction/domain views via Twitter and possibly LinkedIn, but FB groups are a waste of time IMO. I cannot conclusively say that social media has aided in selling any of my names.

On Linkedin. One "Tactic" was pretty cool that I saw in action. Some guy I wasn't connected to had @myname and mentioned me in an article he wrote about why a guy like me with no exployees has over 12,000 connections?!?! lol

very odd or jealousy? anyways. I liked this ninja technique.

imagine you have a domain. you are not connected with that the executive you want to reach out to.

as maybe when you try to connect they don't accept?

or you just haven't gotten around to it. simply @TheirName and Linkedin will notify them that they were mentioned on some Linkedin article.

obviously curiousity killed the cat. Who wouldn't want to check it out when they are notified like this.

"You were mentioned in an article."

anyone else do this? pretty slick.

would this be considered a form of spam? and would this risk yourself for URDP TM lawsuit for reaching out in this way?

wouldn't want to take a risk.

•••

hey Pierre. on Twitter does both # and @ work?

•••
Hey @Avtar629 , yes @ for specific accounts and # for hashtags

•••
what do you mean, how can i sell my domains

•••
The advantage of Facebook messaging is that you can bypass email spam filters that will normally block unsolicited messages. However, Facebook places limits on the number of messages you can send out in a short time. Even then you are dealing with end users who operate on a free platform and probably have a reg fee domain. Their budget for a better name is likely going to be $XX.

I have also used Youtube mail since I have .TV domains but again same result - free platform so end users see no need to pay for a domain.

•••
We use, and have bee using Twitter for some time. Although sales have come from using Twitter, it has certainly increased exposure to our brand/portfolio.

....it worked enough for me to follow you now ( @domainsaugmentd )
I have made a tiny, feeble attempt yesterday with an emoji domain ( ⛴ to ), but it's def. an avenue to explore. I mean, Princess Cruises, they should love this stuff, non?
OK see you on twitter

•••
The advantage of Facebook messaging is that you can bypass email spam filters that will normally block unsolicited messages. However, Facebook places limits on the number of messages you can send out in a short time. Even then you are dealing with end users who operate on a free platform and probably have a reg fee domain. Their budget for a better name is likely going to be $XX.

I have also used Youtube mail since I have .TV domains but again same result - free platform so end users see no need to pay for a domain.

What about hashtagging on FB? maybe not for finding or getting buyers but to boost views of your listing??

I think some would bid because of the amount of views?

And tips for effective hashtagging your domain auctions!

Last edited:
•••
What about hashtagging on FB? maybe not for finding or getting buyers but to boost views of your listing??

I think some would bid because of the amount of views?

And tips for effective hashtagging your domain auctions!
As a curiosity, how many views, shares and likes you guys have for a certain domain when you're trying to market it at twitter? I know that depends how many followers you have, but I think everybody has some data. Also, the likes and shares are coming from endusers or domainers?

•••
As a curiosity, how many views, shares and likes you guys have for a certain domain when you're trying to market it at twitter? I know that depends how many followers you have, but I think everybody has some data. Also, the likes and shares are coming from endusers or domainers?

Good question. I've assumed that hashtagging there are no walls or boundaries.

Associating your domain via hashtag. ( I'm assuming) gets your domain seen by random people depending on what keywords twitters subscribe to getting feeds of?

Pretty cool really

And you can find all domainers on Twitter make an online list on PC and copy and past to each domain auction post.

Some CEOs even have Twitter accounts.

I'm assuming if you @ say a potential end user it will say on that person account .

Avtar mentioned you.

I guess at that point all that matters is you having an account name that will make them curious enough to check who mentioned them.

People get "Triggered" easily these days. I'm working on this idea now. I'll update later.

•••
Working on a project now where I am absolutely convinced Twitter is where I will get in front of the end users I want. Problem is that those people also have thousands or tens or thousands of followers and are following only tens or hundreds of users. Trying to get noticed without spamming is the challenge. I am fortunate in that it is a hot topic at times and picks up momentum this time of year it seems so I can hashtag it and my twitter page will come up with it which is also the dot com for it. It has been hashtagged itself by others off and on for a few years. Complete newcomer to Twitter but kind of figuring it out and think it will be a valuable tool in some kinds of domain names and not very useful with other kinds of names. That might just be my thinking, I don't know but I don't think it would be as useful for something like weatherradarmaps or sumptilicious or 56878 as it would be for like georealestate or something else. I am trying to get in front of endusers and not other domainers or brokers for the most part right now.
I think facebook in this instance is a waste of time tho I think it could have it's use and benefits for other names. That thing is a real maze to me though and for another deal I will want to try and get in front of end users I do think it will be the platform, along with email to find end users vs twitter so I think it depends on the name your are trying to promote as to which platform to use.

•••
Instagram could also be a great option too.

Photo of your domain? Be creative? Then hashtag the relevant topics of your domain ?

And YouTube.

I hear for backlinks the "ninja" way is YouTube.

People are paying people on fiverr to create YouTube videos for them just so they can have backlinks from the most trafficked website on Earth !

•••
Selling to other domainers, social networking is great.

Selling to end users is a very low shot in the dark unless you are reaching out directly to a company through social as a last ditch effort if eMail is unsuccessful.

•••

Selling to end users is a very low shot in the dark unless you are reaching out directly to a company through social as a last ditch effort if eMail is unsuccessful.
The only issue is that you can't know for sure if your end users are coming from twitter or from some marketplace. I only know for sure about only one end user sale coming from twitter. Also, I have probably 10 or so domainers followers and 1k others and my best performers tweets are getting 3.5k views and around 50 shares and likes, so that creates visibility. It's hard to know the effect of social media but we need to use everything to reach end users.

•••
The only issue is that you can't know for sure if your end users are coming from twitter or from some marketplace. I only know for sure about only one end user sale coming from twitter. Also, I have probably 10 or so domainers followers and 1k others and my best performers tweets are getting 3.5k views and around 50 shares and likes, so that creates visibility. It's hard to know the effect of social media but we need to use everything to reach end users.

Email. Less trouble.

•••
Email. Less trouble.
This is the case for EMD's or some domains for which you have an exact en user in mind...for brandable or other two word's with less searches, social media should do a better job.

•••
Even then you are dealing with end users who operate on a free platform and probably have a reg fee domain. Their budget for a better name is likely going to be $XX.

Indeed social media is the place to be for $xx sales, have at it gents.

•••

I get the point you are making and tend to agree as a whole. In my case I have the possibility of multiple end users who I think the value of the name would be just as important for.
I hope to drive interest and competition and I think that is, along with other reasons, why twitter will be a better tool to reach the end users for my goal. An email may bring me $x,xxx where the whirl of twitter could generate $xx,xxx in my mind. I may be pissing in the wind but I am not that long into it and I also realized starting out it could be a year or two project though I am hoping on a couple months. I am trying to generate interest and catch the proper eyes without spamming. The whole thing is a learning process which makes it interesting and somewhat challenging at the same time.

•••
also you can use stumbleupon and reddit , it will better helps :)

•••
Social Media is Important Promotional factor. It's very useful for Increase traffic, Product branding. Facebook, twitter, Pinterest, Stumble Upon, LInkedin, Google+, tumble Useful Social Media Factor.

Thanks.

•••
The power of Twitter, especially those with followers in the millions. In particular Trump. Imagine one twit from him in regards to gTLDs or emoji domains.

They say if his account got deleted Twitter would lose 2 bil from its market cap.

•••
i think that social media are more useful to grow up your reputation and let know people about this.
Like another say, they are good if you reach other domainers or like a last attempt if endusers can't see your email.
More often than not, endusers want to keep socials (except linkedin and few others) just for personal matters so they are a bit disappointed it you reach them there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back