IT.COM

advice The importance of letter-casing in a domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Something that constantly drives me insane with domain names and branding is when a domain is displayed in all lowercase letters.

For example this company is clearly called Milea Truck Sales & Leasing but with its domain displayed in all lowercase, which of these make sense and best support the brand/company Milea Truck Sales & Leasing?..
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Something that constantly drives me insane with domain names and branding is when a domain is displayed in all lowercase letters.

For example this company is clearly called Milea Truck Sales & Leasing but with its domain displayed in all lowercase, which of these make sense and best support the brand/company Milea Truck Sales & Leasing?..
Read More

Hey from a programers standpoint.. This is most likely a result of automation...

People posting one or two Names -> will likely hard code it into whatever post or page they are creating when they type it..

When you have a machine dynamically creating lists and such, without a way to distinguish between words it's not as simple as you would think to sepperate them...

On paper it sounds easy, but imagine your a site with 2million 3 million domain names... -> and that number changes daily... To start formatting all those names by searching possible word combinations in the dictionary you would have to cross refferance every domain with every single word in the dictionary... plus stuff like ... skateboardshop.com might turn out like Sk At Te Boards Hop unless it's provided the intended words... there are many sub words that can be generated if done automatically through programing.

Computers dont speak the english language they just do what theyre told. so if the program says Data location 0 = domain name data location 1 = extension name. Thats what gets put on the page...

furthermore the data comming from the top... is going to be all lowercased as it's just a string of text... theres no reason to have any characters cased differently in their database, so unless it's manually changed then thats that.

Last edited:
•••
I agree that letter casing is nice from an aesthetics point of view, but there can be exceptions when characters can be confused for another such as the letter i and the letter L.. what do you do when you have a domain called AllIdeal.whatever. Have to get creative.

Like many nuances in domain names, case by case basis.

On the example from the OP post, actually I think the all-lowercase is the nicest. Single-character upper-casing in a phrase domain can be touchy because it's followed immediately by another uppercase, thus back-to-back capital letters. Yuck.

•••
I agree that letter casing is nice from an aesthetics point of view, but there can be exceptions when characters can be confused for another such as the letter i and the letter L.. what do you do when you have a domain called AllIdeal.whatever. Have to get creative.

Like many nuances in domain names, case by case basis.

On the example from the OP post, actually I think the all-lowercase is the nicest. Single-character upper-casing in a phrase domain can be touchy because it's followed immediately by another uppercase, thus back-to-back capital letters. Yuck.
Yea again going back to my to my grounding in nodejs land but ....

camelCase (lowerCaseThenUpperCase) is the best imo
then PascalCase (I kind of like this for domains)
then last but not least kabob-case which is just not even relevent in domaining

Last edited:
•••
then last but not least kabob-case which is just not even relevent in domaining
Lol, yes that would really screw things up.. turn us into a mental-case trying to find the actual domain. Agreed, Pascal for domains. All upper-case for a short single word can have good impact too.

•••
Agree. We manually edited all our domain names on our website coz some domains just wouldn't make any sense if not used with the correct capitalizations.

•••
I prefer the non capitalised version if it's right next to their logo and the logo makes it clear what their name is. mileatruck.com is perfectly easy to read on that truck..

I think that the ManhattenLaminates.com example looks quite clumsy, especially when it's prepended with www. Kind've unprofessional looking with the casing the way it is.

Might be an unpopular opinion.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back