Dynadot

discuss The domain forwarding experiment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
I remember reading a while ago that @MapleDots forwards his domains to his site/s - not sure if your still doing this? I could not find the thread to check if it was 1 site or multiple ones either.....

So I have decided to forward all my domains to my website contact us page and have removed them from Afternic, Sedo and DAN.......will keep it up and running for the rest of the year and see how it goes......I do need to speed up the page though, it's a bit slow atm.....

Anyone else do anything similar? Did you try it and stop? Had/have success from it?

Interested to hear you thoughts.......

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In theory it looks good I guess, but running on the assumption all your domains are being typed-in.

Discoverability is key, so you would losing the search function buyers had at secondary markets by removing them completely. You can still use forwarding to your own thing and have domains listed though, eg Sedo, Afternic.

By your method, domains that aren't being directly found could be done so indirectly by if you allow visibity or access to your whole portfolio on the landers. Eg, on my landers it's easy to figure out the main portfolio site if the buyer so desired to explore.

Good luck, hope you some worthwhile results.

The other thread;
https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...oint-1000-domains-to-an-online-store.1157660/

•••
If it is for keeping analytics code for all domains then i have developed a single page (as i am developer myself) where it checks where the visitor is coming from and then after kissing the analytics, within 1 second domain redirects to it's landing page of Sedo/Afternic. This way i am able to keep track of the visitors in analytics.

If you did it because you want people to contact you directly, then you did the right thing. I do not want to deal directly, so not giving any chance to anyone to contact me to buy domain. I do not even accept offers on afternic or sedo. BIN or Leave :)

Best of luck!

•••
In theory it looks good I guess, but running on the assumption all your domains are being typed-in.

Discoverability is key, so you would losing the search function buyers had at secondary markets by removing them completely. You can still use forwarding to your own thing and have domains listed though, eg Sedo, Afternic.

By your method, domains that aren't being directly found could be done so indirectly by if you allow visibity or access to your whole portfolio on the landers. Eg, on my landers it's easy to figure out the main portfolio site if the buyer so desired to explore.

Good luck, hope you some worthwhile results.

The other thread;
https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...oint-1000-domains-to-an-online-store.1157660/
Thanks for link, it's a good read - big difference is that he has 1000's of domains and also top quality 1 word .ca domains which I do not.......

I only have a couple of hundred so showcasing my whole portfolio is not really something I feel the need to do as it scattered across various niches, also it would be nice to be seen as someone who is not holding 100's of domains for resale......

I don't like Sedo and Afternic (Godaddy) commissions would prefer to pay much less and if they are harder to find so be it - puts me in a position where I can decide how to communicate with people from the off.......similar to Efty but without the fees.......

@MHExplorer - I have analytics set up for the site so will be able to keep an eye on where the traffic is coming from and the contact page has a form of a business email contact, hopefully they reach out as I like talking to people :xf.smile:

•••
Tried it. I found for me it's better to keep them listed at multiple places for impulse buys, because otherwise...they stop. These buyers either: never do anything with it, forward it to another business of theirs, or are other investors. This type usually won't bother to make efforts to buy your name without a listed price and a easy purchase presented to them, and they're a significant percentage. If you don't want these type of sales, and only want top-dollar, then that particular buyer will contact, but expect loooong droughts

Last edited:
•••
Tried it. I found for me it's better to keep them listed at multiple places for impulse buys because otherwise...they stopped.
That is a very good point......

Will see what happens between now and the end of the year

•••
Mine are listed on the godaddy marketplace and forwarded to my online store, so I use both.

I have done numerous experiments and for ME it works best when the end client does not know I am a domainer.
You can type in www.red.ca to see it in action so too the person clicking in it looks like I am using the domains to get traffic to the online store which is exactly right.

So red.ca goes to shop.mnm.ca/?enter=red.ca

I have another topic called Incognito Domainer where you can read about that.

Notice I use the word enter now whereas before I used the word domain and a clever person that inquired immediately knew I was a domainer because he said most common folk do not even know the word domain. So I changed it to enter so it looks like red.ca is an entry point to the online store. When someone inquires and says it looks like I am not using the domain I answer by saying, what do you mean, it is used to sell products and redirect people to the store. So now an end user is not only buying a domain they also have to convince me to give the domain up that I am using for business traffic. Since I no longer publish my domains they can never tell that I own more than one.

For me this works, but results are different for everyone.

Last edited:
•••
Since changing them and deleting from all marketplaces I have had 2 email enquiries on 2 domains which I am ignoring, the plan is to wait until people make firm offers above a certain price point and then engage - no offer = no reply......let's see how it goes.......

I have directed half of them to the contact page and half to the home page

•••
If it is for keeping analytics code for all domains then i have developed a single page (as i am developer myself) where it checks where the visitor is coming from and then after kissing the analytics, within 1 second domain redirects to it's landing page of Sedo/Afternic. This way i am able to keep track of the visitors in analytics.

You can resell this piece of code or make a SaaS, many domainers complain not being able to track users for landers pointing to afternic. Let me know, I'll be happy to buy :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
Problem is your host doesn't accommodate. If you get 20 gig in a day you will not see it as you're now a problem. Any moderate success is a forced upgrade on hosting. Domain biz vs sites. The problem you really have is making money out of the often targeted traffic.

Last edited:
•••
Problem is your host doesn't accommodate. If you get 20 gig in a day you will not see it as you're now a problem. Any moderate success is a forced upgrade on hosting. Domain biz vs sites. The problem you really have is making money out of the often targeted traffic.

20 gig shouldn't be an issue unless you're using a very basic hosting package. Ask your host for traffic limits.

Better to upgrade to a vps or a dedicated server though. The upgrade on hosting is nothing compared to the saved commission.

•••
20 gig shouldn't be an issue unless you're using a very basic hosting package. Ask your host for traffic limits.

Better to upgrade to a vps or a dedicated server though. The upgrade on hosting is nothing compared to the saved commission.
My sites do a lot more but you need dedicated hosting over any from of shared hosting to even experiment not real fair use.

•••
You can resell this piece of code or make a SaaS, many domainers complain not being able to track users for landers pointing to afternic. Let me know, I'll be happy to buy :xf.grin:

Anyone who needs help with this can send message and we can discuss.

•••
I redirected my 40 names (at the time, now 50) to one website with general ads. It was for one month while I was learning about the different domain name marketplaces. The result was a slight increase in traffic and $ 50 extra ad revenue.

•••
I tried redirecting all traffic to my XR related names to a 3D virtual interactive environment for over a month (Mozilla Hubs). I did end up getting one sale but they were an obvious prospect already using the name on .org. People might be more likely to buy if they think you have an intention to use the domain.

I also tried redirecting incoming traffic to my Efty marketplace page rather than the landers, but I stopped that because I thought it more useful to get landing page traffic data.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back