IT.COM

new gtlds The .Blog Bait & Switch

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
My interpretation is this: we yanked your domain and aren't going to let you have it or bid on it until we find a way to make more money from it. After all, we have to recoup the $19M we spent to buy the TLD.

I had no problem with the $250 fee. I also had no problem with the likely scenario of paying more at auction (I appreciate a good name and might have gone as high as $1,000). But telling your customers one thing and then doing another is a dick move.

http://chrisschidle.com/the-dot-blog-bait-and-switch/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I knew there was a reason that I liked .coms. All this sort of stuff puts me off registering anything else. I don't like the way they have let the price of .nets creep up either.

I guess it's .coms only for me, with maybe the odd xyz for some feeder sites.

•••
They paid $19M for the extension, I think they are realizing there is no real way to make their money back other than to hoard the premium names.

•••
I knew there was a reason that I liked .coms. All this sort of stuff puts me off registering anything else. I don't like the way they have let the price of .nets creep up either.

Yup, don't buy new Gs.

They paid $19M for the extension, I think they are realizing there is no real way to make their money back other than to hoard the premium names.

Exactly! :)

•••
Found a funny now that .BLOG has gone availlable...

Checked some names that are generaly taken in ALL tld's, the "Premiums"...
€ 132.200,32 registration and .... (drumroll) € 132.200,32/year
Yeah, nop!

•••
.blog is like the rest of the new extensions, greed comes before making them popular

•••
I don't see how the can even think this is good business...
Ok, it should be a higher price than .COM to make their money back...

although...
[QUOTE Wikipedia]In 2011, it was estimated that there are more than 158 million identified blogs, with more than 1 million new posts being produced by the blogosphere each day.[/QUOTE]
at $10/year and maybe $150 for premiums and $500 for ultra-premiums (reg-fee, not renewal) they'll make their money back in at most 3 years

thoughts?

•••
WordBlog.com's have never sold for big money, now you put a high premium, and high renewal on them, you are not going to get any better results.

I can't believe how much time so people have wasted on this extension.

If these people want to price their keywords at $125K it is their right, just as it is your right to look the other way.

In all fairness the GTLD's were meant to be released based on the fact that all good .com's were taken, and people needed affordable choices. The right stops were not put in place to stop $125,000 annual renewal type abuses for whatever reasons.

•••
WordBlog.com's have never sold for big money, now you put a high premium, and high renewal on them, you are not going to get any better results.

I can't believe how much time so people have wasted on this extension.

If these people want to price their keywords at $125K it is their right, just as it is your right to look the other way.

In all fairness the GTLD's were meant to be released based on the fact that all good .com's were taken, and people needed affordable choices. The right stops were not put in place to stop $125,000 annual renewal type abuses for whatever reasons.

if you ignore the single 400k outlier, the highest sale is $30k. Most sales less than $10k. Not a great niche.

If you think you can make money by buying premium renewal .blog domains, think again.

•••
"We're very reasonable on the pricing, so people will be able to consider renewing."

"Pricing is really hard. I think it's a calculus that everyone goes through in this phase, where you want to find a price point where people take it seriously and you're not so low that they're attracting a tonne of speculators, but you're not so high that you're out of reach of normal people."

-Matt Mullenweg

https://www.namepros.com/blog/interview-we-talk-blog-with-wordpress-creator-matt-mullenweg.972066/

Reminder tip @Haris100

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back