IT.COM

domain TeenWolf.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nucreations

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
I own it. I don't think MTV ever owned it. If they did, they would have not let it go.

•••
I own it. I don't think MTV ever owned it. If they did, they would have not let it go.
Eventually there will be a remake and they will want it ,or sue u for it . If you ask for not too much like 5 grand you might get it eventually ,but i dont know if you should approach them

•••
I wonder if they had ever tried to acquire it from the previous owner.

•••

Looking at older screenshots of the domian, it looks like it pointed to the MTV site, though I can't be certain their parent company ever owned it.

•••
Eventually there will be a remake and they will want it ,or sue u for it . If you ask for not too much like 5 grand you might get it eventually ,but i dont know if you should approach them

Who owns the trademark? Is it still active?

Often these names can be used, providing the owner makes clear it's an unofficial fan site.

As for a remake, the TV series still appears to be running. If Viacom did own it, I'm surprised they let it drop.

Last edited:
•••
Who owns the trademark? Is it still active?

Often these names can be used, providing the owner makes clear it's an unofficial fan site.

As for a remake, the TV series still appears to be running. If Viacom did own it, I'm surprised they let it drop.

I guess if it's a fan site without any commerce it should be fine to use the name.

Or do you feel the fan site might be ok selling only licensed merchandise?

•••
I guess if it's a fan site without any commerce it should be fine to use the name.

Or do you feel the fan site might be ok selling only licensed merchandise?

I'm not sure how things would work with regards to selling merchandise. It's best to find out for sure first if the name is actually trademarked or copyrighted. If it's not I'd imagine you'll have a lot more options.

•••
Orion Pictures used to own the service mark but now Viacom owns it.

The patent office shows Viacom owning the "Service Mark". No mention of trademark though.

•••
There is currently an active TM on "Teen Wolf"

•••
I wonder if they had ever tried to acquire it from the previous owner.

As of 2014, it appears this domain was owned by MediaStorm, a video advertising company that rebranded to Maude. MediaStorm worked with EyeView in 2014 on about 20 advertising campaigns, including TeenWolf. Article HERE

The CCO (Chief Creative Officer) was assigned to the WHOIS. According to his LinkedIn page, he left the company in March of 2016. I assume he let this domain drop, and didn't have his work email forward so nobody saw the renewal notice.

•••
As of 2014, it appears this domain was owned by MediaStorm, a video advertising company that rebranded to Maude. MediaStorm worked with EyeView in 2014 on about 20 advertising campaigns, including TeenWolf. Article HERE

The CCO (Chief Creative Officer) was assigned to the WHOIS. According to his LinkedIn page, he left the company in March of 2016. I assume he let this domain drop, and didn't have his work email forward so nobody saw the renewal notice.

Great detective work @Grilled and I like your inference. Which sounds so plausible, that I think there is a very high chance that it's correct.

•••

Lol, nice one dude... Should start your down domain detective agency :)

•••
Great detective work @Grilled and I like your inference. Which sounds so plausible, that I think there is a very high chance that it's correct.
Lol, nice one dude... Should start your down domain detective agency :)

Thanks @deez007 & @barcher - Perhaps just a domain detective group, or thread? I enjoy researching these type of "puzzles" but often times, results aren't guaranteed. I'm not even sure the benefit to this type of work; at this point, it's just coming up with new formulas to uncover information.

I used a similar search principal for this as I did for Fidel.com. (1) Find previous domain owner (2) Search LinkedIn for Owner (3) Noticed the exit date of domain owner from affiliated company. (4) Inferred renewal notices went unmonitored.

IF domain owner didn't update their LinkedIn, it would have been hard to reach this conclusion without contacting the previous owner for questioning directly. AND this is just one theory of domain detection. The detective group should have a SOP to uncover info, or else it's a lot of speculation and random searches. Once you have one piece of info, you have to know where to apply it to uncover more, like algebra. I'm sure there are much better detectives lurking around than me.

Say my theory of TeenWolf is correct. How does this help the sale of the domain? Is it worth contacting the previous CCO or marketing company for a contact within MTV, or would the lapse in domain renewal reflect poorly on the marketing company meaning they might not be inclined to share any information? Like... what next?

•••
•••
What should I expect?
a lawsuit

That would explain the lawsuit I got in the mail...

upload_2017-1-21_17-54-39.png

... kidding. After reading the above post, my brain envisioned this Halloween costume / Process server's attire.

OP, jokes aside tread carefully - ViaCom has a Word Mark TM attached to the following goods and services:

upload_2017-1-21_18-6-28.png

•••
make sure its not parked and maybe a landing page with baby wolves. If the name is used for something other than TV or a show it may help.

example. you can own apple.com if you are selling the fruit. but if you used it to sell computers you are screwed.

•••
Just have a page showing different growth stages of wolves outlining the "teen" stage saying its a very important stage in the growth of young wolves, blank page nothing but text. They'll find it sooner or later and they can't udrp you for malicious intent because...well you were using the site as a general purpose information site about wolves. They can't claim it as anything fictional because ...there is clear science and fact behind your words and its not meant to entertain..only inform.

•••
Such a cool name. Makes me nostalgic for the Michael J. Fox movie. Too bad about the TM. Maybe someday they'll abandon it and you'll be in the clear to do whatever. Wishful thinking. :]

•••
I'm pretty sure a teenage wolf would be fully grown :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Another possible option could be approaching the WWF or like minded wild life associations. That would steer clear of TM/SM infringement, and it could be quite attractive for them in utilizing it to draw deeper awareness of their cause. Although the Grey Wolf population is stable, organizations like the WWF are constantly seeking vehicles to develop their following/support.

It would probably result in a far smaller payday than an entertainment company/fan club of the movies or television series, but it could provide a decent roi while moving a domain from your inventory that treads on the border of a potential SM violation and suit.

•••
I bought the movie and sequel just the other day for $3 seen it as a kid and thought why not something to watch one rainy day. I did see there is also a TV Series.

•••
Back