Domain Empire

Summary of CQD.com controversy ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Siddharth W

Established Member
Impact
Wondering if anyone who has Followed the Whole 50 Pages+ Thread of CQD.com controversy can Write a Short Summary.
Thanks in Advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Owner's email got hacked so the scammer was able to taken control of the domain and pretend tot be the owner in emailcommunication.

The domain got sold for 26k to James through Escrow where the thief pretended tot be the real owner and cashed the cheque.

Netsol pushed the domain to James. Thats about when the real owner noticed what happend.

James and Netsol were at first unwilling tot return the domain to the rightfull owner. Thats where a NP member stepped in, Investigated the shit out of the deal and finally NetSol gave up and returned the domain to the owner.

Thats about it, leaving out all the drama :)

•••
In addition to the previous comment.

- It was actually returned to the original owner as soon as she called (without notifying James). But then James called and they “investigated” and gave it back to him. Then eventually they gave it back to the original owner.

-there were lots of horses (sadly mostly dead horses), hurricanes, and accusations.

- this was actually the second time her domain had been stolen without her knowing.

- if you skip over the really long legal arguments it really is an interesting read.

•••
•••
In addition to the previous comment.

- It was actually returned to the original owner as soon as she called (without notifying James). But then James called and they “investigated” and gave it back to him. Then eventually they gave it back to the original owner.

-there were lots of horses (sadly mostly dead horses), hurricanes, and accusations.

- this was actually the second time her domain had been stolen without her knowing.

- if you skip over the really long legal arguments it really is an interesting read.
So, Real Owner means the person who got hacked ? And Then what about Money? Did the Real Owner payed the 26k to James(New Owner) ?

•••
Yeah, real owner is the one that got hacked. No money has been send to James for compensation as far as I'm aware...

•••
Yeah, real owner is the one that got hacked. No money has been send to James for compensation as far as I'm aware...
Wow. I hope that's not the case. I hope that he got his money back.

•••
Wow. I hope that's not the case. I hope that he got his money back.

Who was going to give him his money? The hacker has the money, Escrow.com not paying him back.

•••
•••
What's the chances one domain name will get stolen twice?

I believe the same hacker had control of the domain and her e-mail throughout both transactions. The first was actually cancelled through escrow by the buyer and his agent and the domain was returned when they realized that some of the whois- info did not match the escrow account completely.

From how I understood it she had no clue this other attempted sale even took place until after James bought it and she was sent a cancelled escrow screenshot for 19k as opposed to the 25k James paid. Someone also included a screenshot of WHOis showing the transfer out with the first attempted sale in the thread.

•••
Who was going to give him his money? The hacker has the money, Escrow.com not paying him back.
It was a cheque that was cashed that was issued by Escrow... so I assume there is a paper trail. It would need to go to court to get the money back though obviously.

Last edited:
•••
It was a cheque that was cashed that was issued by Escrow... so I assume there is a paper trail. It would need to go to court to get the money back though obviously.

You are making the extremely large assumption that any of the money is left or even accessible. Even if they do catch the hacker it's extremely unlikely most or even some of the money could be recouped quickly.

•••
You are making the extremely large assumption that any of the money is left or even accessible. Even if they do catch the hacker it's extremely unlikely most or even some of the money could be recouped quickly.
You're making the assumption that the money is long gone. I'm not making the assumption that it can be recouped quickly by any means.

I said what I said based on a cashed traceable check from Escrow.com to a bank account with a name associated with it. Whether they have the exact dollars that they stole in their bank account isn't really a concern until you know who they are. This person may well have other assets that can be siezed in order to recoup the funds. It's not outside the realm of possibilities that this hacker has a house, a car, a job, a bank account or other means to pay back what doesn't belong to him if convicted of fraud.

Last edited:
•••
You're making the assumption that the money is long gone. I'm not making the assumption that it can be recouped quickly by any means.

I said what I said based on a cashed traceable check from Escrow.com to a bank account with a name associated with it. Whether they have the exact dollars that they stole in their bank account isn't really a concern until you know who they are. This person may well have other assets that can be siezed in order to recoup the funds. It's not outside the realm of possibilities that this hacker has a house, a car, a job, a bank account or other means to pay back what doesn't belong to him if convicted of fraud.

I may mix it with another case, but wasn't the hacker an ex-associate of the domain owner? In that case it wouldn't be difficult to track the person.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back