IT.COM

status-monitor Suggestions for the Marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Ok @Kenny. I appreciate the reminder. I haven't actually posted here in a very long time. So it wasn't my first port of call. Anyhow, this is how I think these Domain Sales Forums could be improved....

The first 4 forums should be COM/GTLD(excl com)/ccTLD/nGTLD. This covers about every domain in the world. They could each have Auctions/Fixed Price/Make Offer/Bargain Bin sub-threads or combined. Probably only .com might need the threads separately but probably all others could be combined as one. After that I would have all what I call Specialty Threads, like Brandables etc and all the others below these four. Alternatively, Bargain Bin I would include as the 5th thread in the above list, covering all domains, like now. I would add a Crypto thread to these Specialty Threads. And I think maybe these Specialty Threads could be thinned down somewhat. I think that Specialty Thread Domains should not be allowed to be posted to the major top 5 threads. The biggest cuplrit here is all the Crypto threads polluting the general population. And might be a short term burden on moderation until posters got used to the the fact.

This is only a rough outline of how I see the Domain For Sale Forums. I think it would make the navigation of these forums easier to understand and more logical. IMHO.

I would be prepared to assist in any way you would let me help. Except I don't think I have the right temperament to be a moderator. But I would help out in moving Crypto threads to their own thread initially, if it would help out with the initial workload. For a short fixed period of time. My guess would be maybe a month.

If there is anything I haven't covered or has been on your wish list for some time not mentioned here, I'll be happy to discuss.

I was surprised to see all these previous posts in this Comment and Feedback thread. Although it made it easier for me to post. I just hope this thread isn't mirrored with the original post somehow, and cluttering it up even more :)

rgds
stu

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
OK. This seems to be better :) Maybe the original thread might need some cleaning?

rgds
stu

•••
So like

COM (Non Postable)
- Auctions
- Fixed Price
- Make Offer
- Bargain Bin

GLTD (other) (Non Postable)
- Auctions
- Fixed Price
- Make Offer
- Bargain Bin

ccTLD (Non Postable)
- Auctions
- Fixed Price
- Make Offer
- Bargain Bin

nGTLD (Non Postable)
- Auctions
- Fixed Price
- Make Offer
- Bargain Bin

Specialty Domains (Non Postable)
- Brandable
- Crypto Currency
and so on
- Emoji

I think this is the most clear, workable and most comprehensive layout, even if some of the forums might be a bit thin on posts. If you wanted to save on forums. Then I'd combine all the Bargain Bins and put Bargain Bin below nGTLD, and combine Auctions/Fixed Price/Make Offer into 1 thread for GTLD and for ccTLD and for nGTLD. Saving about 10 of the first 16 Forums.

rgds
stu

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, stu. We're definitely working on improving the marketplace. :)

•••
Let me know if I can be of any assistance :)

The reasoning for separating out .COM domains is because it is by far the largest segment that we all seek and sell. It is so very important not to have this cluttered with all the other stuff.. IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
You would need a map or a guide to post in the correct place.
The buyer would have to visit 5 separate sectors times 4,, it would be a nightmare.
The forum has to have filters, that's all. No need for 20 categories to post or find anything.

•••
@-EM- The forums which are global threads for all domains are a complete mess. IMHO. There needs to be some logical separation of these forums into categories. And the obvious categories are by the TLD groups.

The guide is very simple. If you have a .COM for sale you post in the .COM forums (3 forums which are already separated). If you have a gTLD (non-com) for sale you post in the gTLD forum. If you have a ccTLD you post in the ccTLD forum, and if you have a nGTLD you post in the nGTLD forum

What I'm proposing in my shorter version of the above is only 3 more forums which are needed to categorize the TLD groups. I can understand there might be some reluctance to adopt the full idea of what I'm proposing, which was why I suggested trimming this down to just 6 forums.

I don't think anybody is going to be searching 20 forums. A lot of people only want to see .COM domains though. They are not interested in viewing all the domains in all the TLD categories to do this. They are not interested in scrolling thru every post of every domain.TLD on the planet to find those .COM domains.

I don't think many people are interested in searching thru all the different TLD groups at the same time. As you are suggesting. If they need to look for say .CO or .TV, they'd search thru ccTLD group only, and not be disturbed by all those multitude of .COM posts.

The forums have filters now. But they don't address these issues.

@Mods - I haven't covered my proposed Specialty Domains in much detail yet. but obviously Domains Wanted is of a similar character as Bargain Bin and probably might be better suited placed as the last forum before Specialty Domains. Or placed dead last after the Specialty Forums. I am supposing if there are any other forums like that. They should be mostly obvious to spot and move accordingly.

Last edited:
•••
"I don't think anybody is going to be searching 20 forums.
Exactly, this means there will be less sales.
Filters do the job better, for example if some is interested in com an io, just by putting those two filters will make the marketplace show only those two tlds. In this case the cusomer/user will visit less sections.

•••
"I don't think anybody is going to be searching 20 forums.
Exactly, this means there will be less sales.
Filters do the job better, for example if some is interested in com an io, just by putting those two filters will make the marketplace show only those two tlds. In this case the cusomer/user will visit less sections.

I think users are going to visit only the forums they want to visit when I mentioned "of course nobody is going to visit 20 forums" (when the real limit in my proposal is really 6+ Specialty Domains). They will still be selective, to say .COM's at auction. Not necessarily all .COM Auctions, Fixed Price, Make Offer, Bargain Bin together. I for one, never look in the Make Offer thread, for example.I'm not interest in seeing them at all.

From what you are saying. It seems you are proposing only 1 Forum and using filters to find what you want. I don't think it's going to be an easy task to create filters for all tlds. that sounds like an almost impossible task. Although maybe this could be cut down radically. I suppose you'd also need multiple filters, so you could filter by Auctions, Fixed Price, Make Offer, Bargain Bin, Domains Wanted, each "Specialty Domain" Filters etc. Filters by date. Maybe others. This sounds like it could get complicated very quickly. Don't get me wrong. I think the use of judicial filters where it would be more user friendly to the member would be welcomed. But, IMHO, I wonder if it is natural, or even practical, to run the entire system with filters. That's quite a major overhaul, and major cultural change for members.

Last edited:
•••
@-EM- So, just to be clear because you mentioned 20 forums, when my proposal had already been reduced to 6 in the same post. This is the current state of my proposal...

COM - Auctions
COM - Fixed Price
COM - Make Offer

GLTD (other) - Auctions, Fixed Price, Make Offer

ccTLD - Auctions, Fixed Price, Make Offer

nGTLD - Auctions, Fixed Price, Make Offer

Bargain Bin - All TLDs

Specialty Domains (Non Postable)
- Brandable
- Crypto Currency
and so on
- Emoji

Domains Wanted - All TLDs

Not much work on Specialty Domains done yet.

@Mods - Tell me if I'm off track and I'll stop posting. Or maybe you have some suggestions or discussions. It's a bit lonely here :)

Last edited:
•••
@Mods - What timeframe are you expecting to complete this improvement in the marketplace?

•••
We have a few ideas but we can't share them yet. Please feel free to continue discussing it, and we'll keep reading for consideration. ;)

No ETA yet, but we'll announce it once we have one.

•••
We have a few ideas but we can't share them yet. Please feel free to continue discussing it, and we'll keep reading for consideration. ;)

No ETA yet, but we'll announce it once we have one.

This sounds like a pointless exercise. If we are not going to get any feedback. Like "you like this idea, but not this idea". So when are we going to be able to give you our opinion about the changes you are planning? No ETA almost sounds like no urgency either. So this thread could go for literally years. I think you are asking too much for us to keep posting suggestions without feedback. IMHO.

•••
in domains wanted section, you shouldn't allow the same member to have more than 1 active thread for the same type of request

ie: looking for LLLL.com

also, threads older than 6 months with no update from OP, should be closed in that section

this will prevent new and existing members from posting to obsolete threads.

imo...

•••
So like

COM (Non Postable) 4
- Auctions
- Fixed Price
- Make Offer
- Bargain Bin

GLTD (other) (Non Postable) 4
- Auctions
- Fixed Price
- Make Offer
- Bargain Bin

ccTLD (Non Postable) 4
- Auctions
- Fixed Price
- Make Offer
- Bargain Bin

nGTLD (Non Postable) 4
- Auctions
- Fixed Price
- Make Offer
- Bargain Bin

Specialty Domains (Non Postable) 3
- Brandable
- Crypto Currency
and so on
- Emoji
19 subsections.
It is unnecessary.
I see you have already made up your mind, so there is no point keeping this up. I'll move on.

•••
19 subsections.
It is unnecessary.
I see you have already made up your mind, so there is no point keeping this up. I'll move on.

how many forums would you have in your proposal and what would they be called?

•••
in domains wanted section, you shouldn't allow the same member to have more than 1 active thread for the same type of request

ie: looking for LLLL.com

also, threads older than 6 months with no update from OP, should be closed in that section

this will prevent new and existing members from posting to obsolete threads.

imo...
This is close to how we should be handling it already, but we may need to make a daily checklist to better execute on it. Thanks for bringing this up, I'll look into it.

So when are we going to be able to give you our opinion about the changes you are planning?
We aren't looking for feedback on what we have planned at this time. We already know what we need to do and it's a matter of doing it. However, if new ideas or suggestions come to light that can be incorporated, then the development team will likely do that.

No ETA almost sounds like no urgency either.
We're actively working on it. "No ETA yet" meant that once it is closer to completion, we will have an idea of when it will be ready and then provide an ETA. We aren't going to make guesses at the date that could be way off. ;)

Thanks for your suggestions,

•••
We aren't looking for feedback on what we have planned at this time. We already know what we need to do and it's a matter of doing it. However, if new ideas or suggestions come to light that can be incorporated, then the development team will likely do that.

So it's fixed in stone already. You don't need our help. I don't really see how we can provide useful ideas and suggestions, when we have no idea what it is we are going to get. I think I"ll wait until we see what you are proposing before making any more substantive suggestions. Because we may be completely 100% off with our suggestions, wasting our time and thought processes. Barking up the wrong tree, comes to mind ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back