IT.COM

.info Strange transfer request of .info

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I received a strange domain transfer request for one f my .info domain, I think it should be some kind of fraud or scam trick trying to steal my domain.
however, as I know, if you want to initiate a .info transfer you have to input an auth code in the first place then the supposed winning registrar would be able to start a transfer process, right?
why this registrar can just sent me a transfer request without auth code? or do they really know the auth code? :alien: if they know, how come?

here is the transfer request email:

Attention: [ asdf1234asdf ]

Re: Transfer of [1234asdf4321.info]

Domain Robot has received a request from
[Domain Transfer / Domain Robot]
on [2005-09-09] for us to become the new registrar of record.

You have received this message because you are listed as the Registered
Name Holder or Administrative contact for this domain name in the
WHOIS database.

Please read the following important information about transferring your
domain name:

You must agree to enter into a new Registration Agreement with us.
You can review the full terms and conditions of the Agreement at:
[http://domain-robot.org/.....]
Once you have entered into the Agreement, the transfer will take place
within five (5) calendar days unless the current registrar of record
denies the request. Once a transfer takes place, you will not be able
to transfer to another registrar for 60 days, apart from a transfer
back to the original registrar,in cases where both registrars so agree
or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs.

If you WISH TO PROCEED with the transfer, you must respond to this
message via one of the following methods (note if you do not respond
by [2005-09-19], [1234asdf4321.info] will not be transferred to us.).

Please go to our website
http://.........
to confirm.

If you DO NOT WANT the transfer to proceed, then don't respond to
this message.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
just do not reply:) nothing can be transfered

•••
I think it should be some kind of fraud or scam trick trying to steal my domain.
Could be, but it is more likely that they will let you keep the domain and just steal your money. I imagine this would be followed up w/ an "Urgent!" notice stating something to the effect of: "Don't loose the domain name transfer that you have requested. For your domain name's safety and to secure your ownership, go to [Registrar], follow these steps, click on the link in this email and enter the information your registrar has given you into the box. Than follow the Continue link from the page to make sure that your contact information is up to date" Oh, and, BTW, don't forget to include your PayPal email address. Tx and welcome!

•••
It looks like some sort of scam, just a warning to abnyone, delete any such messages

•••
But the question is how can the (thief) has a valid auth code to to initiate a transfer request? if I want to make a transfer request for a .info domain that I have to get the auth code in the first place, and it looks like the thief has got a valid auth code? that is the worst part I am concerning about now.

•••
yesonline said:
But the question is how can the (thief) has a valid auth code to to initiate a transfer request? if I want to make a transfer request for a .info domain that I have to get the auth code in the first place, and it looks like the thief has got a valid auth code? that is the worst part I am concerning about now.
Are you sure that the registrar, (or initiator), has the AUTH Code? In my above scenario, there would be another step to get this info which would only dupe the uninformed- the individuals that these kind of scams are fishing for and targeting. The only way they could retrieve this info, if, they do, indeed, have the AUTH Code, would be through the use of some very sophisticated hacking and if they were going to all of that trouble, why use an email scam that would only be targeting individual .info domain names?

•••
can't you start any trasnfer just by buying one at godaddy? make sure all your domains are register-lock status so they don't get stolen!

•••
why you would not contact your registrar and ask what does this mean?

•••
If you think that's bad, these companies actually snail mail me letters saying to transfer my domains to them, the letters usually state that my domain is expiring and send us your CC# and we'll automatically renew it.

•••
just leave it as is. e-mail the e-mail address you got the request from maybe?

•••
Yes, but this could run into troubles josh.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back