IT.COM

Strange domain name registration request from China

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arca

Top Member
Impact
I received this notification from someone at chinadomainregistry.net (does not resolve):

Dear CEO,

(If you are not the person who is in charge of this, please forward this to your CEO, because this is urgent. If this email affects you, we are very sorry, please ignore this email. Thanks)

We are a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in China.
We received an application from Huadu Ltd on June 12, 2017. They want to register "MYDOMAIN" as their Internet Keyword and "MYDOMAIN.cn "、"MYDOMAIN.com.cn " 、"MYDOMAIN.net.cn "、" MYDOMAIN.org.cn " 、"MYDOMAIN.asia " domain names, they are in China and Asia domain names. But after checking it, we find "MYDOMAIN" conflicts with your company. In order to deal with this matter better, so we send you email and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China or not?

Best Regards,

NAME | Service Manager

China Domain Registry (Head Office)

8006, Xinlong Building, No. 415 WuBao Road, Shanghai 201105, China

Tel: +86-2161918696 | Fax: +86-2161918697 | Mob: +86-1582177 1823

Web: www(dot)chinadomainregistry(dot)net

MYDOMAIN = a construction industry .COM domain I own that forwards to a for sale page with a BIN of $1495. The name is an exact match for a number of actual construction companies using other extensions or longer version (e.g. MYDOMAIN+Services.com). But my domain simply forwards to a one page sale page, so there is no company on the .COM.

Are they asking me for permission to register the matching domain in .CN and .ASIA extensions? Anyone else gotten this kind of email? Would you respond or just ignore it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thanks! Don't know why I didn't just do a search for it... Never saw this kind of scam before and since they weren't asking me to click any links or buy anything, I thought it was real. I guess it's more effective when they target actual companies that would mind if a Chinese company started operating on a matching domain in another extension (I wouldn't mind if they started a company matching my domain - just another potential end user for my .com name).

•••
I first got this email about 10 years ago. Good register my brand is my thoughts add me some value to the dot com. I recently read a thread here that played along right till the end was interesting read to see where it all went. But yup they will just keep finding the 1400+ extensions to sell to you.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back