IT.COM

Stay away from Register.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If you are thinking about grabbing a 75 cent domain at Register.com, think again.

1. Domains cost $38 per year!!!!! 75 cents for the 1st year then $38+ after that

2. Customer service sucks. I talked to 2 women and they both sounded like they were on drugs. Also, they seemed "bored" and could care less about their job. In contrast, Godaddy hires young, upbeat men who are passionate about their job.

3. They offer no real benefits that you cannot get at Godaddy, Network Solutions, Moniker.

My first impression was to avoid them. Has anyone else felt the same way?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I double that - they are criminals.

•••
The biggest problem is their constant obstruction to your retrieving the auth codes.

•••
i think the 1st user post was saying the truth......

•••
If you are stuck with register.com you can use this code to renew the domain for $10 instead of $38:

AuthReq10

•••
i got a 99cent domain recently from there, and it sets you up for "auto renew" with your creditcard, and the only way to get that removed is to call their number and speak with their support.
I haven't called them yet, but plan on it. I think this why that do that, so people forget to call and have the crap removed.

Stay away. far away.

•••
Your request for an Auth Code has been received and your information will be validated for security reasons. If your request is approved, you will receive your Auth Code by email in 4-5 days.

To cancel this request, please call one of our Customer Service Representatives at 1.877.318.7563.

Thank you.

-
4-5days?!

•••
Good luck, but expect to receive this BS:
Dear ####,

You recently requested an auth code to transfer your "###############.com" domain name.
Your request has been processed and at this time it has been declined due to recent suspicious activity in your account.

Register.com is committed to providing the most secure and reliable domain services for our customers.
We have implemented specific security measures to help prevent unauthorized transfer of domains to another registrar.
The type of suspicious activity that could have caused your request to be declined includes:
- Multiple failed attempts to login to customer's account
- Recent changes to the account holder's name, email address, or login ID
- Attempts to access the account over the phone without authorization
- Recent changes to the accounts password
- Domain name lock not removed
- Recent changes to billing or credit card information

To receive your auth code, please call one of our customer service consultants at 1.888.734.4783. They will confirm you to the account and then fulfill your request.

Thank You,

Sandy Ross
EVP, Customer Service
Register.com
:td:

•••
I didnt get that yet. I dont know if you can cal a 1800 from outside the US anyway.

•••
You can call 1-800 but is will be charged at normal rates.

All of the original registrars are expensive and unfriendly. They exist solely to milk as much as they can from people who have always been with them.

What I hate is buying domains at auction knowing I have to deal with such registrars to transfer out.

Fortunately the trend is to offer you a $10 renewal when you ask for the auth code.

•••
called register yesterday used there toll free number - was waiting for around 17 mins

the rep @ register was very friendly no issue's getting the auth from her..

•••
They also did bad things with me !
I wait for 5 days and after that they sent me wrong auth code
It's so bad !
:(
so I can't transfer my domain now !!! :O

They are making transfer process become very difficult/ provide wrong auth code = violate ICANN rule !!!

I think this is the time to report this to ICANN
http://www.icann.org/en/contact
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board

http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/crocker.htm
[email protected]
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/chehade-en.htm
Mr. Chehade is President and CEO of ICANN
[email protected]
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/chalaby.htm
[email protected]

I'm sure that there have so many people met this case at "registrar" register.com
If you meet similar case, you can report it to ICANN !

Please read this topic
http://domainnamewire.com/2013/06/1...iling-to-provide-transfer-authorization-code/
Registrar may lose accreditation for failing to provide transfer authorization code

PacNames didn’t provide AuthInfo code within 5 days, according to breach notice.

ICANN is threatening to cancel accreditation of New Zealand domain name registrar PacNames Ltd for the registrar’s failure to provide a domain transfer out code.

In a breach notice dated June 10 (pdf), ICANN says PacNames has repeatedly failed to provide copies of written communications between the registrar and the registrant of AnimeInfo.net.

It appears that the domain registrant is upset over not receiving an AuthInfo code to transfer his domain to another registrar. ICANN claims Pacnamaes filed to provide the code within 5 days.

PacNames also owes $1,000 in past due accreditation fees, according to the letter.

In other compliance news, a couple domain registrars have recently cured their breaches. Both Dattatec and DomainSnap have cured their breaches.
- See more at: http://domainnamewire.com/2013/06/1...iling-to-provide-transfer-authorization-code/

•••
i did not think about it before read your post.

•••
All of these reasons are true. Stay away. There are too many good places to get domains.

•••
are they cheaper than godaddy? If No, then why do people use them?

•••
wow.. I only used crapy registrar like 1and1 Networksolutions and Register to take advantage of their cheap $0.50 to $1 domain deals. But.. After 60 days.. Sorry im out of here! lol

•••
Yep. I fell into that trap as well. Went for a cheap domain and then found out the renewal price later. I just let my domain expire with them. It wasn't all that important to me anyway.

Always research the company and try and find out the renewal price before grabbing those deals. :)

Chad

•••
lol I know the renewal fees are just expensive as Networksolutions! Im used to register names everywhere then transfer them to GD or NC :)

•••
$38 year renewl at register.com

That's correct. It is $38/yr unless you renew early. The office paid for 10 years back in 1998 and when 2008 rolled around, they paid every year while we tried to transfer it out of there but we never did get the auth code after trying 3 times.

Then we forgot to renew it in May 16 of 2012 but caught before the 30-days were up and that cost $90 + registration fees were around $20 for another 2 years.

The guy was very nice on the phone and talked me into renewing for another 2 years instead of transferring it to Namecheap with the rest of our domains. Maybe I'll get lucky and get it out of Domain Jail the next time around.:rolleyes:

Or, maybe not if that discount code works, Thanks!

•••
Cheap Domains - Major Agrrivation

Plain and simple, I the domain owner requested that they SEND THE AUTH CODE No other register plays the security bullshit games that they do to DELAY a domain from being transferred away! NO I WILL NOT REFER ANYONE TO THIS COMPANY. :yell:

•••
The "Unfair" advantage of Register.com

How I got my auth code from register.

I logged in to their site.

Unlocked the domain.
Did not change any aspect of the contacts or ownership. Doing so can be used as reason (ICANN permitted) to delay granting the auth code and or depending on the expiration date, creating further delay and thus completely denying the transfer.

A week following my online request for an Auth code:
--
:bah:You recently requested an auth code to transfer your domain name.
Your request has been processed and at this time it has been declined due to recent suspicious activity in your account.

Register.com is committed to providing the most secure and reliable domain services for our customers.
We have implemented specific security measures to help prevent unauthorized transfer of domains to another registrar.
The type of suspicious activity that could have caused your request to be declined includes:
- Multiple failed attempts to login to customer's account
- Recent changes to the account holder's name, email address, or login ID
- Attempts to access the account over the phone without authorization
- Recent changes to the accounts password
- Domain name lock not removed
- Recent changes to billing or credit card information

To receive your auth code, please call one of our customer service consultants at 1.888.734.4783. They will confirm you to the account and then fulfill your request.

Thank You,

Sandy Ross
EVP, Customer Service

--

Note: Because I purchased a domain for under their cost (.50 cents) I now understand what I was dealing with: The legal team and CEO of marketing at Register have studied and implemented every lame marketing retention delay tactic and have also reviewed every detail of ICANN rules, making use of all to legally delay or deny the transfer of domains.

Called 1.877.318.7563 three times and after being on hold for 15:00 minutes and then after the CS agent asked me for all my info and I asked him for my auth code he then explained: "only the billing dept. can issue you the auth code and they are closed now, you must speak with the billing dept which is open 8:AM to 5 PST M-F":!:

I experienced wait times of 15 - 20 minutes on those calls.
Two of them disconnected while I was on "torture hold" listening to "Sandy Ross" the CEO of the company as he vomited in my ear about the "unfair" advantage of Register's "Gorilla Marketing Program".

I was on hold for exactly 19:00 minutes before being connected to the agent who responded to my verbal auth code request with "the code is long and it will be better if I email it, I will need to place you on hold while I generate one"

On hold again this time for 9:00 minutes after which the agent returned and told me that the auth code had been emailed to me. I checked my email and indeed it was there.

:gl:I immediately entered it in the winning registrar's site to make sure it was a working code. It was accepted and a few hours later I received another email from register. My fingers are crossed and I will re-post if they reject the transfer, but right now all looks good.

We are saddened to see you go and would like to offer you an exciting offer to remain a Register customer. Renew for only $15.95 when you use Invitation Code: RENEW77 today. Doing so will provide you with peace of mind that your domain name is safe with a company that offers free live phone support 24/7 and is here to help you build your business online.

Needless to say I was not "excited":wave:

Last edited:
•••
I double that - they are criminals.

After all I have read you are the most right. Thanks to the OP for the information.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

If your request is approved

If my request is approved???!!! Are these clowns crazy? Once I register a domain it is mine and I decide what registrar I want to stay with. I think this company got to a so poor level of acceptance by domainers that the only way they have to make a profit is trapping people with the half a dollar offer to then slave them to their insane fees.

>:(

•••
lol! and when you have domains on "auto renewal' you can't turned it off yourself. You need to call them!

TIP: open another account, Push all your domains to the other account.
Now that all domains has been pushed out.
Remove your credit card information! - Just in case!
(they won't let you to delete your payment information if you have domains on auto renewal)
Then go to the new account and transfer back the domains to your real account.
You will get an email with validation link.
Now you can turn off the auto renewal and domain lock!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back