IT.COM

STADIA - New Gaming System!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Apparently there's a new cloud gaming system, Stadia, that is supposed to be releasing that's supposed to be better than Playstation and XBox. Have y'all acquired names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
New gaming system, eh?

Looks like they took the name of an old brand of tennis shoe and recycled it. :xf.grin:

stadia shoes.jpg

•••
There are too many domains registered for them to go after individuals they suspect are infringing on their many brands, especially in 2019.
It seems Google didn't get the memo ...

EPIicuk.jpg

image source: udrpsearch.com

•••
Definitely keeping this is mind, but they cannot stop gamers, live streamers, special parody laws, stores selling the products and services, affiliate networks, gaming clubs/clans, etc. On the contrary, I would think they would want to encourage this. They're fully aware of the age of domains and they would have snatched up all the domains they wanted for this too, I would imagine. Also, 'stadia' is a normal word, not newly made up.

Yes they can stop if you if they want to. They can take the name from you if its trademarked. It also doesn't matter if "Stadia" is a normal word, so it Apple and Orange and they are both trademarked.

Its all about usage and whether you are infringing or not, if you are registering a Stadia name to show Sports Stadiums, then you will be fine. If it is trademarked and you are registering it to for a gaming/game/Stadia Controllers etc website, then that is showing bad faith. I would stay away from them, these names dont end up having much value long-term if you look at past similar niches.

•••
There are too many domains registered for them to go after individuals they suspect are infringing on their many brands, especially in 2019. Yes they have the money to do it, but it would be a waste of time, money, and resources. I've heard of the stories from 1-2 decades ago but I just don't think they would in this day and age. They can't simply take the domain but can file complaints and lawsuits. If it were only that easy, you would have many companies trying to acquire domains, claiming some sort of infringement. I think it's OK now. This isn't 1999-2007.

Its not just about whether you can register name and get away with it, its about doing the right thing. Imagine you had spent millions on your brand and people start infringing on your business trademarks. As we have seen many times in the past on here, it doesn't do much for people's reputations when they are start dabbling in TM names. It may not even be a TM, so it may be ok, but its worth checking.

Yes, I could probably go and register a name with Toyota, Apple or IBM in it, is it the right thing to do, not its not, just because I can do it and get away with it, doesn't mean I should. If you saw someone shoplifting and not getting caught, is it ok for you to go and do it?

I think it's OK now. This isn't 1999-2007.

That is the wrong attitude to have, a TM is a TM, doesn't matter what year it is.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Apparently there's a new cloud gaming system, Stadia, that is supposed to be releasing that's supposed to be better than Playstation and XBox. Have y'all acquired names?

I have StadiaGroup,com for a while and a received $500 high offer last year on it which was politely rejected by me :)

•••
•••
mess up your stadia clothes while sitting on a stadia barstool eating from stadia dinnerware while playing stadia games:ROFL: p.s while drowning your sorrows because they confiscated your stadia domains :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
We will agree to disagree on this one. :xf.wink: You are right, they wont go after a 13 year old fan boy, but it doesn't make what hes doing right, he is still infringing, just on a smaller scale, mainly because he doesnt know any better.
This is an absolutely invaluable constructive conversation we had. I think this was important for all of us domainers. I do thank you for sharing your thoughts. You did have very compelling points and I do thank you for challenging what I shared. This is all very interesting and it's really good to learn about.

•••
This is an absolutely invaluable constructive conversation we had. I think this was important for all of us domainers. I do thank you for sharing your thoughts. You did have very compelling points and I do thank you for challenging what I shared. This is all very interesting and it's really good to learn about.

I totally agree with you :xf.smile:

•••
Why argue over a keyword which is a dictionary word?

STADIA if not used with Google and it’s trademarked keywords is totally fine as long as registrant isn’t taking undue advantage of Google’s goodwill and somehow trying to profit from it.

I have a predated, an old registered domain name with keyword STADIA and I’ll be happy to put up a fight against any corp, if they decide to come for my assets :)

•••
It is here everyone. They are quickly moving forward with this new gaming platform. There are many more gaming websites popping up. Some that has started early on like what @PE-Steve started www.ShareStadia.com and there are others that are popping up like what user @Garant started www.StadiaTalks.com, and I will be launching my own www.GlobalStadia.com which even has a March 26, 2015 registration date and was a thriving website before.
Thanks for the shout, it sure is! Over 1k unique in a few hours today just from the Google Stadia Connect event. Sup guys 🙂

•••
Just sold 6 Stadia domains. Can't disclose the amounts. Sold the following domains and made really good,

StadiaLiveStream.com
StadiaGold.com
StadiaVault.com
ShopStadia.com
StadiaPay.com
StadiaPowered.com

Still have a few more good ones for sale. More may be gone soon. Let me know if you're interested :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
•••
Feel free to have a look :xf.wink:

Trademark laws still apply, whether you are making millions off someone trademark or $10 off the trademark, its still wrong, thats all I'm saying. I would feel just as guilty stealing $100 as I would stealing $1000 off someone,m its the moral issues just as much as a legal issue.

I cant see any value in the names anyway because of who it is, its just a minefield and you wont be selling them to end-users anyway, development would be your only option IMO
I get it, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. A single game can make billions (i.e. Call of Duty, etc) with millions of people playing the game console, buying skins and add-ons, starting clubs, etc. May be out of your realm hahaha but yeah it's a new thing ppl do. There's a huge market in gaming. Even the U.S. government heavily invested in gaming to encourage ppl to join the military, VR / Simulated training, etc.

Last edited:
•••
I can't believe in 2019, we still have these type of threads. Do you really think a UDRP is costly to..........Google?

•••
Keep in mind, this is Google,

all they need to do is blacklist any site / name they don't like others using - therefore the name becomes useless and worthless if its at the bottom of a google search - LMFAO

bad investment

•••
As we have seen many times in the past on here, it doesn't do much for people's reputations when they are start dabbling in TM names. It may not even be a TM, so it may be ok, but its worth checking.

As you already may know, registering a TM is not necessary. Your business name, product name, brand name can still be protected by trademark laws. A registered TM allows you to establish a recorded date of first use, and that is helpful, but it's not necessary.

That's why when you want to reg a domain, you should not stop at a TM search. You need to still search google to see if any businesses are using the name.

They don't need an actual registered trademark in order to win a dispute.

A good example of this "Realtor". The National Association of Realtors has the trademark to that name. It's not an actual word but has been accepted as an actual word in today's English, but it's not really a word. Just like many people say "Kleenex" for the word tissue or "Q-tip" for the word cotton swab.

However they never registered it with the USPTO. There are a handful of companies that have a TM registered for "Realtor" but they are not in the real estate biz. they are TM's for brand names of shoes, clothing, etc.

But if you register a domain wit the word realtor in it, and it is obvious it has to do with real estate, expect a C&D letter, at the very least.

Last edited:
•••
I have StadiaGroup,com for a while and a received $500 high offer last year on it which was politely rejected by me :)
Oh wow, I would have taken that. Great domain!

Registered On:
2015-02-02

Expires On:
2020-02-02

•••
While we are taking about trademarks, can you trademark a word?

OT:
Streaming games is just another way for the big corps to take peoples money. I always buy the physical copy so I can trade it in.

•••
I will make it short for the slow learners.
Assume for a minute Google is not going to file a UDRP against you.
is there somebody who is going to buy your names or perhaps your plan is to collect them ?

Every domain name has a registration date that is usually show in the whois record for everybody to see.
If you just registered a name good luck trying to convince a UDRP panel you did not register that name because the recent announcement by Google but you had the same idea at the same time :xf.rolleyes:

It's funny that people are even showcasing their names, as if they were daring somebody to do something.
At least this thread has educative value and exemplifies how not to do domaining.

•••
You have your own opinion and it's greatly appreciated. It sounds like you're bitter for being late

What Kate posted isn't an opinion nor is kate bitter about "being late".

Being late for regging domains that could land you in legal trouble with inarguable the world's most deep-pocketed monster isn't really anything to be shameful about. lol

Some people only learn the hard way. I was once that way. But when I started getting C&D letters and being contacted by attorneys, that fixed me right up.

Last edited:
•••
I have
StadiaOffice(dot)com
StadiaTechnology(dot)com
30 views in two days .

•••
stadiagroup.com has been around for several years and has been on gd for a couple of months.the last time i checked it was the only stadia that had a bid.

•••
Wow, ShareStadia.com is a really nice website. Nicely done! I was reading a bunch of articles on your website. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I bookmarked the site. I love it.

I had sharestadia.com in my dynadot account on march 19 but decided to buy StadiaAI.com and StadiaArena.com :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back