Domain Empire

.mobi ssi.mobi: Appraisals Please

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I rarely do this, but I just acquired this domain and wanted to see what the community thought about it, and where you would peg the value at.

And, none of you better say 0.00-reg fee, or I'll kick your ____ :santa:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
nice one

Its a premium LLL and has a crap load of acronyms (I counted 80 or so). Very easy to remember, I would say 4-500 min reseller but I would hold onto it as they are appreciating monthly.

good luck, Gary.

•••
•••
$300-$500 reseller
$500-$2k end user(more in the future :)

•••
Nice name :)! What's your plan? Develop or resell?

$300 for a very quick sale! I suggest you hold on this one. It's a keeper imho.

Good luck with it.

•••
Hmm, I'm very surprised by your valuations. I paid $1000 on the aftermarket, and I thought I got an incredible deal. Here's my reasoning:

1. SSI is mainly searched in the U.S. by people looking for disability benefit information, or for Lawyers to help them on their case (hint: high KW value).

2. It has 5600 OVT (March), and about 40,000/month Wordtracker. Some LLL.mobi's that have no searches at all, but just sound good, are selling for mid $xxx, so I feel this is worth much more for this reason alone.

3. As someone here pointed out, it has dozens of other acronym meanings in addition to the disability meaning (Lots of potential end users).

Thanks for your opinions though, I appreciate it. I'm still happy with this investment, and still think I did a killer deal. $300 on the aftermarket is a joke for this domain when xyz.mobi would fetch almost as much.

Last edited:
•••
garrett200 said:
I rarely do this, but I just acquired this domain and wanted to see what the community thought about it, and where you would peg the value at.

And, none of you better say 0.00-reg fee, or I'll kick your ____ :santa:

Not even worth $0, you'd need to pay me to take it off your hands :hehe:

Seriously, it's a nice name. I'd say between $300 to $450

•••
Wow, amazing. Maybe this belongs in the "drunk reg" category if I paid triple what it's really worth. Everybody keeps posting the same thing, so I must have been off my rocker. This may have been a real miscalculation on my part..... :'(

Scratching my head to think that zong.mobi is worth triple this, and donations.mobi is worth 13X

•••
garrett200 said:
Wow, amazing. Maybe this belongs in the "drunk reg" category if I paid triple what it's really worth. Everybody keeps posting the same thing, so I must have been off my rocker. This may have been a real miscalculation on my part..... :'(
Looking at it from a development perspective, how would you capitalize on the search volume? Will you build an info site for Supplemental Security Income, Server Side Includes or something else? How will that be monetized? These are the questions worth asking beyond just search volume, whether it is an aftermarket purchase or hand reg.

•••
If I were to develop, it would probably be an info site about how to get disability benefits, hopefully with a bunch of lawyers clamoring to run their ads on my site, knowing that the term gets searched 40,000 times per month, mainly by their potential clients.

But then again, remember that I'm off my rocker :alien:

Looks like I may have to develop it to recoup my miscalculation on price....

Last edited:
•••
When I regged my LLL.mobi names during landrush (when they were $75 per) I looked at SSI.mobi vs SSO.mobi and went with SSO due to mobile application. SSO (widely used acronym for single sign on) has an obvious mobile use, I couldn't find one for SSI.

I haven't really seen any increase on offer value for good LLL.mobis period btw. Turned down a $300 offer on Sedo yesterday for 'FTI.mobi'. It would make absolutely no sense to sell a name like that on Sedo and pay 10% commission when it could just as easily sell on a forum, commission free, and probably for more.

•••
10% of the purchase price is a joke, it should just be a flat fee for all domains. For this transaction I believe they got over $100

•••
garrett200 said:
If I were to develop, it would probably be an info site about how to get disability benefits, hopefully with a bunch of lawyers clamoring to run their ads on my site, knowing that the term gets searched 40,000 times per month.

But then again, remember that I'm off my rocker :alien:

Looks like I may have to develop it to recoup my miscalculation on price....
If you mean it was a miscalculation in terms of the wholesale market then maybe you are correct but if you build it and it pays you regular money then you have done well. For the dev idea you have described I think it is a great name, a short common acronym that has good search results and is easily remembered.

•••
I like to think I am wrong with my appraisal above. BUt I havnt noticed many sales above 500 to other resellers (I hope to see a lot more though).

gary-

•••
scandiman said:
Looking at it from a development perspective, how would you capitalize on the search volume? Will you build an info site for Supplemental Security Income, Server Side Includes or something else? How will that be monetized? These are the questions worth asking beyond just search volume, whether it is an aftermarket purchase or hand reg.

Exactly.

Michael :)

•••
buckshotdots said:
I havnt noticed many sales above 500 to other resellers

Well, you have now. :sold:

I really thank you all for your opinions, but if I had to do it all over again, I would pay the $1000 again, I think it's worth every penny.

Last edited:
•••
i would say that most people that will be applying for ssi would probably go to a full-sized computer since this is a major life decision ... i don't see it as a very strong mobile application

second, presumably (though i know there are many exceptions) people that are applying for ssi aren't going to have the most up-to-date cellphone and web access plan

these 2 things make it a weak choice as an ssi portal (which doesn't mean it won't work as an ssi portal)

however, it is very nice LLL.mobi with lot's of other acronyms

it will earn your investment back and more i'd say

•••
Taken from SSA.GOV:

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and

It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.
If they can access the page from an internet enabled mobile device, they shouldn't be applying for it in the first place. :P

•••
Lasher said:
Taken from SSA.GOV:
If they can access the page from an internet enabled mobile device, they shouldn't be applying for it in the first place. :P
The reality is often these people are assisted by friends or family who do most of the research and legwork.

•••
scandiman said:
The reality is often these people are assisted by friends or family who do most of the research and legwork.

Fair comment, and I was really just being a smart-a$$ so shame on me.

I do think there has to be a much better use for such a strong letter combination though.

•••
garrett200 said:

Scratching my head to think that zong.mobi is worth triple this, and donations.mobi is worth 13X

It's approx. worth - undeveloped / "Quick Sale" - 27.50% - 33.775% of what you paid for it, IMHO (who did you purchase it from, and when did it transfer)? :gl: :talk:

Have both zong.mobi and donations.mobi exchanged hands for the amounts that have been discussed here in the .MOBI Forum™ (if using them as sold comparables for your purchase price)? :blink:

Best of Luck.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Donations.mobi was said to be auctioned for 3-4K as I recall, and the owner of zong.mobi claims to have received a low xxxx offer. I cannot verify these sales, however, but there are threads about both of them still relatively new here on the forum.

In regards to your first question, I purchased it in a private deal on Sedo. I took possession of the domain yesterday.

•••
Lasher said:
Taken from SSA.GOV:

That was my first thought. It doesn't fit the mobile application and targetted users well in your scenario. I would give it a $300-$500 value as well.

•••
Lasher said:
Taken from SSA.GOV:

This argument is really not valid. Most people applying for SSI have been working, and got disabled either while on the job, or from a chronic disease.

Someone else argued here that these applicants could not afford a mobile device, which is also crap. This is not welfare, most of these people are or were employed.

Also, the vast majority of SSI applicants are not blind.

Sorry, but I just don't think some of you know what you're talking about when it comes to this subject.

Maybe this is why the domain has a higher value to me. My mother fought this system for 12 years to finally be approved due to a terminal illness, so I know a lot about it. And I also know how many lawyers would give their left arm to have ads running on a domain like this. :imho:

To sum this up, I think you guys have made me come full circle and realize that I am the best person to own and develop this domain!!

Last edited:
•••
garrett200 said:
To sum this up, I think you guys have made me come full circle and realize that I am the best person to own and develop this domain!!

Then you paid the right price for it :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back