NameSilo

Spoof email from ebay

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just to warn others about this email. Sorry if it's been already posted.

Dear eBay user,

We regret to inform you that your eBay registration has been suspended for an indefinite amount of time due to the violation of our site policy below:

* Shill Bidding, deliberate - The deliberate use of secondary User IDs or other eBay members to artificially raise the level of bidding and/or price of an item. Please remember that family members or housemates should not be bidding on each other's auctions.

If you believe that this action may have been taken in error, or, if you feel that your account may have been tampered with, please respond to this message so that we can provide additional information and work with you to resolve this issue.

Please provide us the necessary information in order to prove the ownership of the account, by logging directly to our safe and trust link.
https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

After responding to the message, we ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated. Emailing us before that time will result in delays. We apologies in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you for your cooperation as we review this matter.

If you have received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is a violation of eBay policy to represent oneself as another eBay user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. eBay is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Best Wishes,

eBay Trust and Safety
eBay International AG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These type of emails are very common. It's called phishing.

•••
They can't even make it look real :o. In this email what is fake? i know its fake as i dont have a 2nd account of whatever it said, But how can you tell it's fake, I could tell because of the link it took you too a sign in page where the login was set up all diffrent. :sick:

•••
Oki Thanks for the replys, Just learned eBay use you're i.d too :blink:

Thanks

Chris

•••
How do they make it look like it is the ebay site with a ebay sub-domain??

•••
The url you see in the email is different from the url that you are sent to when you click the link. They usually get a domain like ebaylogin.com or secureebay.com to make it look like the real thing.

•••
How they can trick the browser with a diffrent url??

•••
I've received many fake phisting eBay scam emails in the past. I usually receive them after I list an auction and include an email address to send questions to in the listing, however the email I put in the auctions is not the one listed on my account so it's a dead giveaway when I receive one to that email. I report everyone I receive to the [email protected] email and always receive a reply back within a couple of minutes confirming it wasn't sent by eBay and they are taking action against them. :talk:

I hate idiots like these who are always out trying to scam people! >:( :yell:

GJ Online said:
How they can trick the browser with a diffrent url??
They don't trick the browser, they just put in a different link in the hyperlink but do the text that shows up for you the real eBay address so if you don't put your mouse over the link or take a look at the source then you'd think it's real. They do that to try and fool their victims who are less experienced that don't look at the source and just fall for their scam.

•••
So surly this is real?? I am a bit of a noob at these scam things!

•••
GJ Online said:
So surly this is real?? I am a bit of a noob at these scam things!

It's a scam. You can put in a different link in the hyperlink than what actually shows up when you look at the email. For example I can put in a link to eBay.com to have it display but when you click it will actually take you to NamePros.com like this >> eBay.com

That's what they do in the scam phising emails that the scammers send out, they put in a real legit eBay link to display but a fake site link in the hyperlink so when you click it takes you to a different site than what displays when you look at the link. The way to tell if it's a real link or not is to hold the mouse over the link or look at the source. The above link is going to be real if you hold the mouse over because it was taken from the email itself and not the source.

When you click the link in the email then it will take you to a fake phishing eBay site that's about a clone of the official eBay site, however when you enter in the password and username then the scammers have your account info. They can then login to your account and make bids, view your bank and credit card information, and your sensitive data in your account.

This is a very common scam and eBay has setup a page warning members about the scam here, http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/

Last edited:
•••
ahh! I got the first part but I didn't get the second!

•••
I can't see your problem komp. I think this is an original Ebay message because the link is going to Ebay's website login page.

So what's the "catch"?

•••
snoopi said:
I can't see your problem komp. I think this is an original Ebay message because the link is going to Ebay's website login page.

So what's the "catch"?
It goes to the eBay page because it was just copied and pasted from the email, but if you view the source and copy and paste that then you'd see the fake link in the source. :gl:

eBay will never send you an email and ask you to confirm your sensitive data. If there's an issue with your account then they will send you a message via the My Messages system on eBay so it shows up in your account. :talk:

Last edited:
•••
They just change the anchor text of the link you receive in your email.. simple as that ! :)

•••
LOL, I get atleast 2 of the eBay ones per day, but I don't mind because G-Mail gives a big red warning at the top of the message stating that it may be from someone other than who they claim to be and warning about following links.

•••
I always said Gmail is soo smart :hehe:

•••
Chris said:
snoopi said:

So what's the "catch"?
It goes to the eBay page because it was just copied and pasted from the email, but if you view the source and copy and paste that then you'd see the fake link in the source. :gl:

eBay will never send you an email and ask you to confirm your sensitive data. If there's an issue with your account then they will send you a message via the My Messages system on eBay so it shows up in your account. :talk:

Thanks Chris :tu:

•••
i received the following message today myself first one of this type I have got:-

Congratulations! You've earned the honor of joining the eBay Silver PowerSeller Program. Come and join us. When you join the PowerSeller program, you'll be able to receive more of the support you'll need for continued success. So, why wait? Join now!

PowerSeller icon next to your User ID in recognition of your hard work.

PowerSeller Priority Support via email webform and phone support at Silver level and above.

Exclusive offerings on the PowerSeller portal--check in frequently to see updated program benefits and special offers!

Discussion Board for you to network with other PowerSellers.

Free PowerSeller Business Templates for business cards and letterhead.

Regards,
eBay PowerSeller Team

If you agree with this rank please Become an eBay Power Seller within 24 hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eBay sent this communication to you because of your outstanding feedback, high sales, and compliance with eBay marketplace policies. If you would not like to be invited to join the PowerSeller program, follow the directions above, click "Member Sign In", and then click "Decline" at the bottom of the page. Please note that it may take up to 10 days to process your request.

Copyright © 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.
eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

headers are as follows

Return-path: <[email protected]>
Envelope-to: [email protected]
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:33:12 -0400
Received: from [206.191.0.239] (helo=mx3.magma.ca)
by EDITED.EDITED.com with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
(Exim 4.51)
id 1DgLHc-0004m3-HY
for [email protected]; Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:33:12 -0400
Received: from mx3.magma.ca (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
by mx3.magma.ca (8.13.0/8.13.0) with ESMTP id j59BXBuZ003288
for <[email protected]>; Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:33:12 -0400
Received: (from buster@localhost)
by mx3.magma.ca (Magma Relay Server) id j59BX77S003282;
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:33:07 -0400
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:33:07 -0400
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Private Message From Ebay Accounts Management !!!
X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail 7.0.323 [267.6.6]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="=======AVGMAIL-42A8683F11D0======="

•••
If i was new to ebay i probably of clicked it and gave my details, So i suppose it works alot,

But also EBAY WILL ALWAYS USE YOURE ID

Just found this out.

Chris

•••
Yeah, eBay will always use your ID when contacting you, thanks!

•••
I get literally at least 5 of those ebay/paypal phish scam emails a DAY. I always try to track the ip and f**** them over..they need to be taught a lesson

•••
There are some extremely slick variants on the basic scheme. My favorite one is when the phishing site spawns an image the size and position of the IE address bar, which pastes an image of the "real" URL over the address bar itself. I was looking at what I knew to be a phishing email, and couldn't figure out the catch until I moved the IE window to one side and noticed that the "address" lagged behind the IE address bar when I moved the IE window.

If any of the explanations above are not absolutely clear to you, then, as a general rule, do not click on links you receive by email. If you think you have received something important from paypal, ebay, your bank, etc., then type the URL into your browser manually.

I'm with creativeweb... if I don't get at least two phishers and three Nigerians a day, then I assume something has gone wrong with my email.

•••
•••
jberryhill said:
if I don't get at least two phishers and three Nigerians a day, then I assume something has gone wrong with my email.
lol

•••
Kodeking said:
The url you see in the email is different from the url that you are sent to when you click the link. They usually get a domain like ebaylogin.com or secureebay.com to make it look like the real thing.

those phishers have nothing better to do!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back