Dynadot

Someone reg a domain on my to-reg list

NameSilo
Watch

DeeJay23

Established Member
Impact
I am a neophyte in this domain industry. For starters, I have a list where I type down all the domain (.com's only) I wish to register when I have the budget in-place.

Earlier, as I was about to register the domain name relating to edge computing, a 2-word domain, it was already unavailable! I have it on my to-reg list sitting for more than a month. Well, lesson learned, what you have discovered to be available might be registered by others. As per whoIs search, it was registered on Nov.28, 2017 and a landing page was made that the domain now accepts offers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I leave funds in my registrar account so that I can grab a name as son as I see it if I want it. Sometimes it can be a matter of seconds that can lose you a really good name.

•••
Think positive, you just saved money :)

•••
I never come back it is a on the spot decision as a newbie however your best to study. If it is good it bugs me to much if i leave it behind that so end up back hours later to register it. (often gone)

Last edited:
•••
Don’t type anything into a registrar until you are sure and ready to buy. Several of mine got grabbed the same day I typed it into the registrar.

•••
It happens to me all the time. You can only reg everything with unlimited budget :xf.grin:

•••
It happens to me all the time. You can only reg everything with unlimited budget :xf.grin:
Or if the TLD is actually yours! :D

•••
unfortunately, budget restrictions.. (TT.)

•••
I leave funds in my registrar account so that I can grab a name as son as I see it if I want it. Sometimes it can be a matter of seconds that can lose you a really good name.
I have some "good" names still up for registering.. Hopefully no one will discover it anymore. :D

•••
Happens to us all, i think most domains have a list of possible regs

•••
Happens all the time.

There is a flip side though.

How many times have you regged a name and then looked at it the next day and realized it was not a good one.

I hesitate all the time, and sure I lose some names, but it keeps the bad regs to a minimum.

•••
Happens all the time.

There is a flip side though.

How many times have you regged a name and then looked at it the next day and realized it was not a good one.

I hesitate all the time, and sure I lose some names, but it keeps the bad regs to a minimum.
Realized this as well! So what I'm doing is always looking at my list and contemplating if it is worth to be registered or not. Then if I doubt a name from my list, I just erased it.

•••
I browse recently deleted new gTLDs two times daily. If I find a "gem" I tend to take it right away, because they will often be gone within one or a few hours otherwise.

Like you mentioned: Lesson learned!

•••
Quality domain names available to register are few and far between so if you find it you buy it.

Prioritize what you want to acquire and grab 'em as best you can.

•••
Prior to registering a domain name, ensure whether you want to opt for the domain name you have selected and them complete the process till checkout, so that the domain doesn't remain in your to-reg list and some other person grabs it.

•••
I have had a domain that was available for multiple years being scooped up within hours of me searching for its name in a registrar.

I now operate under the assumption that all searches are somehow available to someone, and you should scoop it up the minute you realize you want it.

In your case one month is a long time for something to potentially be taken.

•••
•••
As well as others registering the name while you get funds in place, some registrars (or their employees) might be 'front running' - monitoring searches for good names that you don't reg straight away.
There's a discussion on it (and how to avoid it) here:
www.namepros.com/threads/handregs-that-someone-grabbed-minutes-before-you.1049587/
Now, now... This is new to me! Registrars do that?! Tsk3.. And thank you for pointing the thread, I'm currently reading it.

•••
I have had a domain that was available for multiple years being scooped up within hours of me searching for its name in a registrar.

I now operate under the assumption that all searches are somehow available to someone, and you should scoop it up the minute you realize you want it.

In your case one month is a long time for something to potentially be taken.

It is called domain front running and it was a big problem years ago.

I have my suspicions that some of the smaller registrars or their employees still do this.

•••
You should not be using a Registrar Whois service. These whois lookups are often compromised. I use gWhois.org. Not only is it probably the best independent whois out there. But I have also never heard of any lookups being compromised.

•••
You should not be using a Registrar Whois service. These whois lookups are often compromised. I use gWhois.org. Not only is it probably the best independent whois out there. But I have also never heard of any lookups being compromised.
how about who.is ?

•••
not the same but almost

So Went to reg a name I thought of today..turns out I was beat by 1 DAY LOL.....Reg'd yesterday! Anything can happen.

It was a hyphenated one too!

•••
how about who.is ?

I haven't tried who.is for a very long time. So I cannot comment. But the mere fact they have some kind of relationship with Name.com would be a warning sign for me. But it could be there is nothing to worry about.

•••
Back