IT.COM

Some newbie's (silly?) questions...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello everyone,
I just joined NP community and I already found a lot of interesting discussions and professional people here. I'm new to "domains" world, but I'm very curious and I hope to learn a lot from you... and maybe get some satisfaction myself in the future :)

After all that reading, I have some newbie's questions, hope they are not too boring or already well answered elsewhere (sorry for my english, too):

1. after buying some domains (with the hope to sell them later at a better price) is really advisable (or needed) to put them in parking at SEDO (or similar company)? If the name is not so searchable (like DHJK.com, just an example) is parking worth it? Do parked domains lose some value just for being parked and/or because they're seen by Google as parked (I just discovered that sedoparking.com has a poor rating at WebOfTrust...)?

2. when you buy a domain, how many days do you have to wait before selling it? Does this depends by Registrar?

3. is it legal/ethic/good pratice to register other person's name? I know that actors and other famous people have some sort of implicit trademark on their names, but if my name is Stephen Falken and I register the domain andrewmilner.com and I know there is no famous Andrew Milner, can Mr. Andrew Milner, a greengrocer from Ohio, sue me and get the domain? And what about a domain andrew.in? Is it possible that some Andrew AnyLastName sue me for this domain?

4. if I own a (now) meaningless domain like spoppo.com and next year some new company choose "SpoPPo Inc." as its name or create a new "Spoppo" product, can they sue me? Would it be different if the site is developed or not (parked)?

5. if I register a name like spoppo.in and there is already a site spoppo.com, but it is just a personal site where the owner(s) have no trademark or product, is this a problem?

6. are movies' titles (Like "The Expendables") to be considered as trademarks?

7. if I register a domain in good faith, ignoring or not knowing that I'm violating some trademark, in case someone write me to have the domain back is it possible to just give them the domain avoiding lawsuits, trials or, worse, claim for damages?

8. is it possible, in case you are aware you violated some trademark, to cancel domain registration?

Any suggestions is really appreciated. Anyway, if this may bring some differences in legal part, I live in Italy.

Thank you for your time.
S.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,

From now on, don't ask so many quesitons in one post. People feel like they have to answer all of them an may not answer any. :)

I will try to answer some of your questions.

In my opinion it doesn't hurt to park a domain, but you may not get much if people don't type in the name to see what is there. SEDO is generally not a good place to park them. Places like WhyPark and Noomle are better since you can add content and promote them to get traffic.

Avoid trademarks. Use Search Trademark Database to see if there the domain words are trademark. Don't use a person's name unless they can't afford to sue you or you have an honest use fo the domain. Some trademark holders MAY sue for damages, but in most cases they send you a letter or email and demand the domain(s). Depending on how you are using the domain and if a trademark is only part of the domain, you MAY be able to keep it, but you may need a lawyer and to spend some money to keep it. Avoid trademarks or be ready to have to give them up. I had trademarked domains a few years ago, but thought I was ok. Two companies contacted me, TracPhone and Ebay and I gave them the domains.

If you use the trademark of a US company and you are in Italy, you may be ore safe if the company is small and the domain is partly a trademark, like DELLusersforums.org, but the best thing to do is not take the risk.

Now, the other thing you can do BEFORE you get the domain is contact the company and ask for permission to register and use the domain. If they say yes then there are no problems. :)

•••
2. when you buy a domain, how many days do you have to wait before selling it? Does this depends by Registrar?

A: The selling is not the issue here. The timeframe before a domain can be transfered to another Registrar is the issue. After registration a Registrar has the option to block transfer for 60 days. Not all follow that rule so contact your Registrar in question.

8. is it possible, in case you are aware you violated some trademark, to cancel domain registration?

A: This depends on the Registrar. Some will allow it and refund your money others won't. Another factor is that if it is a ccTLD you registered the Registry will not allow it (the refund part) so the Registrar will charge you even if you delete it right after registration.

•••
nielsencl and realtimeregister, thank you very much for your advices... I have a lot to learn and I'm sure I will find every answer here on NP :)
Ciao!

•••
You questions are not look like newbie, been like well versed analyst person in domain field. :) and English is not bad. :) Hope u got good answers above, remind it. Good luck friend!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back