IT.COM

question Some good domain names and still no sales, what to do ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sdep777

Restricted (85-100%)
Impact
feel i have good domain names and still no sales, what to do ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't see any value. If I were you, I would drop them all and read more on domain investing.

•••
I doubt anyone would ever want to buy any of those names.

What made you think they are good names?

Take 6 months and just read this forum instead of buying any more names.

•••
Nothing personal but i dont like any of those, sorry

•••
3 are already bidded on

Last edited:
•••
•••
Good names are only good if someone needs or wants them. There is no secret formula to that, you just have to ask what industry would use the domain.

PERSONALLY, I can sell a domain with a few cold calls if its a good domain.

Lets pick apart one of yours...... UsedAirplanes.net
.net is for an internet or technology company so right away it is not ideal for you chosen target audience.

So lets pretend it's a .com for a second. Now research who sells used airplanes, a couple of well placed search queries will show you that. Visit their websites and see if they have a good domain. Then punch their domain into google and see how they are placed in ranking, backlinks etc. Now contact them and give them a reason why UsedAirplanes.com is a great domain.

I cannot tell you how many domainers just wait and think magically the sale comes to them. Yes that happens but if you have hundreds of domains you need to move them or renewals will eat into your profit margin.

In my opinion its all about sales, if you know how to research and sell then you will do well.

Other than that you can just pray to get a direct hit from someone, it happens but that is not a viable business motto.

Domainers often tell me they also sell at auction, but most businesses are not domainers, they do not check auctions. Domainers will buy at wholesale but to sell at retail you need an end user. An end user is yours for the taking if you just ask for the sale.

•••
•••
•••
Find better domains or advertise more.

•••
Take a deep breath every time you leave one.
Learn some other techniques to be patient. If you can think about using your domain in any way, they may sell someday. Read more and more in this forum.

•••
The minute you contact a potential buyer you drop your negotiation power down by 65%. I think everybody would agree there's more leverage when a buyer approach you rather than you approaching the buyer, so it will average out if you wait for a buyer to approach you.

Last edited:
•••
The minute you contact a potential buyer you drop your negotiation power down by 65%

You may be right if we were talking about a huge domain sale, but quite frankly most domainers will never see those type of sales. I can sell lots of smaller domains up to 5k and not lose anything by contacting the end user. You have got to make them want it, show them what your domain can do for them.

Lets give you an example of a quick 5k sale I made with one email.
(names are changed)

I stand in a parade and see a shiny black truck with 927hitsfm.com on it. Only problem is the radio station is called 92.7 hits fm. I go and register 7hitsfm.com for around 10 bucks. Now I create the subdomain 92 and I get 92.7hitsfm.com.

Now I create a zero margin frame and load the radio stations real website within my frame. Now 92.7hitsfm.com resolves just like 927hitsfm.com.

I contact the radio station with an email and the manager freaks, he calls and gives me an immediate order to stop. I ask him for 5 minutes time to explain and tell him he can have the complete site for 5k.

I said... think about it,you can now advertise 92.7HitsFM.com on the side of your truck. It is exactly the same website as your current no changes are required and it is the same price as a couple of newspaper ads.

Sold deal done

Now please tell me how I lost 65% of my bargaining power by contacting the end user.

In fact I made a sale, and in this business it's all about the sale.

Real story... real sale...

PS. If you think that is original you should see what you can do with domains when you add a sub domain. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities. You just have to think outside the box.

Last edited:
•••
That same $5,000 asking price could have easily been a $15,000 offer price. It's what the domain is worth to the radio station that counts. When they come to you it helps in any legal process that may take Place If negotiations break down.

Last edited:
•••
Agreed Mark, and I have had the big sales where end users come to me but while I'm waiting for one of those I still want to earn money to put food on the table. A few well placed calls and emails can make a quick 5k here and there.

•••
Agreed Mark, and I have had the big sales where end users come to me but while I'm waiting for one of those I still want to earn money to put food on the table. A few well placed calls and emails can make a quick 5k here and there.
We will always leave money on the table LOL your ideas so good if it was me I would definitely start the price very high to test their resolve and work my way down as you know most good sales I have been over a period of time however a big steak on the plate makes the waiting a lot easier

Last edited:
•••
Oh man, if you like that one I have better stories yet. Creativity with sub domains is my middle name. You can buy cheap ass domains and turn them into cherry pie for end users.

•••
I hear some of the things that investors do, and they're pretty good at it. But for investors like myself that prefer to let potential buyers come to them.

•••
You may be right if we were talking about a huge domain sale, but quite frankly most domainers will never see those type of sales. I can sell lots of smaller domains up to 5k and not lose anything by contacting the end user. You have got to make them want it, show them what your domain can do for them.

(names are changed)

I stand in a parade and see a shiny black truck with 927hitsfm.com on it. Only problem is the radio station is called 92.7 hits fm. I go and register 7hitsfm.com for around 10 bucks. Now I create the subdomain 92 and I get 92.7hitsfm.com.

Now I create a zero margin frame and load the radio stations real website within my frame. Now 92.7hitsfm.com resolves just like 927hitsfm.com.

I contact the radio station with an email and the manager freaks, he calls and gives me an immediate order to stop. I ask him for 5 minutes time to explain and tell him he can have the complete site for 5k.

I said... think about it,you can now advertise 92.7HitsFM.com on the side of your truck. It is exactly the same website as your current no changes are required and it is the same price as a couple of newspaper ads.

Sold deal done

Now please tell me how I lost 65% of my bargaining power by contacting the end user.

PS. If you think that is original you should see what you can do with domains when you add a sub domain. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities. You just have to think outside the box.

That was pretty ingenious, and not many people would have thought of that. Very interesting info. But I think this is the exception rather than the rule. My first big sale was from approaching a couple of end users, but I had a category defining name that was being used by several companies that weren't aware it was available. My other attempts at approaching end users have generally ended with no response or very low offers.

•••

(names are changed)

Sold deal done

Pretty ballzy Maple. Nice. I wouldn't do this based on numerous negativity of my domains similar to this scenario.

If I did this, I'd would be seriously frowned upon and TM would mentioned.

Plus asking $5,000 ( a price above what it would cost to pay a TM lawyer to go after you)

Would not be advised by NP experts.

Although your way seems safe it's not exactly the same.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back