Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

viikka

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone,

I own a domain name minecraftie.com and I just got an offer of 12K for it. Do you think it's a good price? Or I should keep it and wait ? Minecraft will have a movie in 2019 and I believe price may increase. What do you think?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Take it and run! It can easily get you a UDRP. Its a ticking time bomb. I hope your buyer knows what they are getting into.

•••
But it's not trademarked. I don't see the problem.

•••
But it's not trademarked. I don't see the problem.
The word itself is not but its very similar to trademarked version. Thats my 2 cents. The link I had was probably not the best examples but anyone would tell you that if it sounds similar to the Trademarked version, they can easily file a UDRP. Trust me you dont want to go down that road especially in this case.

Last edited:
•••
Someone offered you 12k for a name thats only a few days old? The only thing I can say is make sure you tell them that they can take the cost of the apprasial that they are going to want you to get out of that 12k and see what happens.

•••
I just checked euipo. europa.eu /eSearch/#basic/1+1+1+1/50+50+50+50/minecraft and it seems we are safe. Me and my buyer are from Europe. Maybe I should register TM in Europe?

•••
It may be an appraisal scam..Search the threads to know about it..Don't take any appraisal service offered by them. If its genuine, go for it..

Last edited:
•••
It may be an appraisal scam..Search the threads to know about it..Don't take any appraisal service offered by them. If its genuine, go for it..
Thank you! I didn't even know about this type of scam. Studying now!

•••
Thats the only explanation really. Nobody is crazy enough to offer 12K to a name they could easily lose to a UDRP.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, i would have my money on an apprasial scam. 12k? I may only be a lowly chimp, but that seems like 1 or 2 zeros too high to me! Ooh ooh aah aah eee eee

•••
Set up the Escrow for them to make payment.. That will show if they are serious or not. If they say you have to appraise it at one of their trusted appraisal providers then run. Or play with them, tell them you'll make payment immediately and let them wait.. Forever.

•••
•••
It would be nice from Namepros if they would have some sort of mini guidebook for beginners about things they should be cautious about. TM infringement, these appraisal scams, don't handreg bs, etc... I mean I know it's not NP's duty to do so, but this is a place where a lot of domainers starts this business for the first time, and so it could save some unpleasant surprises for newbies.
These appraisal scam efffers literally approach every new domainer.

Last edited:
•••
Listen to what @Jman92 and see if the buyer will go along with what @rivey001 advised. I received a 5K+ offer for a mediocre name as well. No way it was worth that much.

•••
I just checked euipo. europa.eu /eSearch/#basic/1+1+1+1/50+50+50+50/minecraft and it seems we are safe. Me and my buyer are from Europe. Maybe I should register TM in Europe?

A Common law trademark or Unregistered trade mark is just as enforceable as a registered one. Especially if the holders have a lot of money. Minecraft is the most sold game of all time. You would lose in court in a bad way.

As for trying to register a Minecraft TM in the EU, I can envision the face of the patent lawyer when you start explaining your plan :laugh: on exactly what grounds do you claim a TM on Minecraft? Not to mention that TM-s for entire regions cost in the $xxx.xxx region.

My friendly advice to you is to not mess around with TM if you do not know exactly what you are doing, especially if there is big money behind the TM.

Last edited:
•••
Actually the domain is minecraftie NOT minecraft, but thanks for advice anyway.

•••
@Jman92 is spot on here - Take the money and run if it's a legit offer.

•••
Thank you all for your suggestions!

•••
1.) The domain is a clear TM issue. Would this domain exist without the famous game? The answer is obviously no.

It is simply Minecraft + some letters. Saying they don't have a TM for "Minecraftie" is like registering Microsoftie or Paypalie.com. The TM in there is obvious.

2.) It was recently registered and received an absurdly higher offer. This is clearly the appraisal scam.

Brad

•••
Yeah, i would have my money on an apprasial scam. 12k? I may only be a lowly chimp, but that seems like 1 or 2 zeros too high to me! Ooh ooh aah aah eee eee

Yes, definitely brother.
bananaeating.png

•••
Now I am wondering how Minecraftly managed to register a trade mark? They are not a part of minecraft... I am just being curious now.

•••
Now I am wondering how Minecraftly managed to register a trade mark? They are not a part of minecraft... I am just being curious now.

Anyone can basically file a TM for anything. In this case it was only recently filed (Jun. 20, 2016).
It will take months until the USPTO even reviews it. Microsoft can also file an objection if they want.

Microsoft is 7/7 in UDRP involving the term "minecraft" since 2015.

Brad

•••
Thank you so much, Brad! Really informative!

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back