NameSilo

So you think soya is a safer choice than meat?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Everything in moderation.

Don't get me started on soy sausage, veggie burgers, etc. - they're processed foods and just as bad in their own way as any other processed foods. The labels promoting them as "healthy" neglect to point out the whopping overdose of sodium in most of them.

•••
Everything in moderation.

Don't get me started on soy sausage, veggie burgers, etc. - they're processed foods and just as bad in their own way as any other processed foods. The labels promoting them as "healthy" neglect to point out the whopping overdose of sodium in most of them.

Processed meat + foods, Frozen meals, GM foods, decaffeinated coffee + tea, sodas + diet sodas, diet foods, fast foods, light coke, low fat milk, low fat this, low fat that, margarine, etc.

WOW, so much crap for the body to process. No wonder there's so many fat people full of allergies and other illnesses, especially the younger generation.

•••
Diet sweeteners - we know even LESS about the long term effects of those than we do soy.

Blame the food industry - they engineer foods so people eat/buy more of them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/m...science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I'm vegetarian so I eat some soy products, but it's not the majority of my diet, and ever since I got serious about reading labels I stay away from the processed crap.

•••
Soylent Green 2013.
Bon appétit :sold:

•••

Every day, it seems that some new alarmist study comes out about our food supply. Don't eat this, don't eat that. Don't drink coffee, do drink coffee. Red wine is good for you, but sometimes it's not.

Yada, yada, yada...

I suspect that our bodies adjust to whatever we eat.

Once, when I was in Greece, I had a horrible case of food poisoning (the whole nine yards, use your imagination). I traced it to some chopped meat, probably not thoroughly cooked.

Now when I'm overseas, I avoid chopped meat of any kind (in restaurants). Kebabs are safer.

I no longer eat "rare" hamburgers, and if something seems "off," I throw it away.

Chemicals?

Piffle.

I don't worry about it because obsessing itself can be bad for you.

Common sense needs to rule.

•••
It was easier to ban people smoking tobacco in public places than it will ever be to ban crap food.

Junk food is great business for the major food companies and Big Pharma. After being convinced by TV ads, many people will stuff themselves with garbage, get fat and ill and then go buy some pills to fix themselves up.

Last edited:
•••
Every day, it seems that some new alarmist study comes out about our food supply. Don't eat this, don't eat that. Don't drink coffee, do drink coffee. Red wine is good for you, but sometimes it's not.

Yada, yada, yada...

Funny I was having this same conversation with someone else earlier - there are a lot of alarmist articles and questionable "studies" .

I know people who are aghast because I sometimes eat potatoes and blueberries (<- not together - that would be weird.) "Never eat those unless they're organic," they say, then they post another article that organic food from China has been watered with heavily polluted water and is dangerous to eat.

Yeesh!

Overall I eat mostly healthy foods, but if I threw things out of my diet every time I read another piece of "the sky is falling" journalism, I'd have starved long ago.

Last edited:
•••
I know people who are aghast because I sometimes eat potatoes and blueberries (<- not together - that would be weird.) "Never eat those unless they're organic," they say, then they post another article that organic food from China has been watered with heavily polluted water and is dangerous to eat.

Yeesh!

Overall I eat mostly healthy foods, but if I threw things out of my diet every time I read another piece of "the sky is falling" journalism, I'd have starved long ago.

'Organic' from China exposed: The shocking truth about 'organic' foods grown in the world's worst environmental cesspool

Read more: http://www.naturalnews.com/039195_organic_foods_China_pollution_nightmare.html

•••
Now we (in the West at least) are dying of cancer. Isn't it great to be part of the first generation whose life expectancy will be shorter than the previous generation... 8-X

•••
Nothing is healthier in excessive amounts. As far as I'm concerned, soya is rich in calcium. I eat both soya and meat (all kind of meat), along with a variety of vegetables and fruits.

•••
I spent 3 years in China exporting fresh and frozen veggies and fruits. Now that I'm back in Japan, I avoid buying Chinese spinach and leafy vegetables. I buy the garlic and onions, and avoid pretty much everything else. This is easy to do when you buy unprocessed, or minimally processed foods, that are clearly labeled as to origin.
The problem comes when you buy processed foods. Your "Mexican" salsa may say "Made in Australia," but the ingredients (the tomatoes, chilis etc.) could be from just about anywhere.

Even people who arte obsessed with natural foods, like my sister in Canada, make awful decisions. She rejected the hamburger I bought from a local butcher, and opted for the more expensive, paddy shaped frozen hamburger make by some large company. She liked the familiar packaging, and assumed that the higher price reflected higher quality (rather than processing costs). I like buying local, because I can put a name and a face to the food - and a person who I can come back to is likely to be more careful about what he sells me.

So much more... I could rant on, but my kids are fighting....

•••
The problem comes when you buy processed foods. Your "Mexican" salsa may say "Made in Australia," but the ingredients (the tomatoes, chilis etc.) could be from just about anywhere.

And it's pretty futile to try to find out where every ingredient in everything you buy is sourced.

However since they only eat one type of food, I did my research and am very careful about that with my dogs/cats. If you have a pet, stay far, far away from feeding them anything from or using ingredients from China.

•••
•••
Excellent article. Here are some excerpts from it:

"Three companies now account for more than 40 per cent of global coffee sales, eight companies control the supply of cocoa and chocolate, seven control 85 per cent of tea production, five account for 75 per cent of the world banana trade, and the largest six sugar traders account for about two-thirds of world trade," according to the new publication from the Fairtrade Foundation.

"through the aggressive marketing of ultra-processed food and drink, multinational companies were now major drivers of the world’s growing epidemic of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes."

Food companies seek to shape health legislation and avoid regulation by "building financial and institutional relations” with health professionals, non-governmental organizations and health agencies, distorting research findings, and lobbying politicians to oppose health reforms"

"States are adopting laws meant to keep consumers in the dark about where their food comes from."

"An official U.S. government report finds that Americans ‘are sicker and die younger’ than people in other wealthy nations. There are a number of factors making us sick … but unhealthy, cheap food is part of it"

All in all it's pretty disgusting what Big Agro is doing. They are just as bad as the tobacco industry... if not worse. At least with tobacco you have a choice of stopping smoking or banning it in public places, but bad food is now so widespread that it hardly leaves any choices to find truly healthy biological food... even for vegetarians, unless you grow it yourself.

I remember when I lived in California for 7 years back in the mid-seventies, the very first thing I noticed was how foods, like eggs, fruit, meat, milk and other tasted so bland. I can only imagine almost 35 years later how much it's gotten worse.

Perhaps they've added all sorts of additives and poison to tickle the taste buds, but I'm sure it must be more garbage than food that Americans are eating.

In Europe, thankfully there are many countries that have restricted or banned GM foods, despite strong political pressure from the US Government and companies like like Monsanto that want Europe to accede to this crap. still, if Europe is not vigilant, it will be like the US in terms of junk food

Problem is we still eat processed and GM foods that come disguised in other ways such as cereals, which everyone would imagine as unsuspecting.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back