Domain Empire

question Should I wait for 60 days before I do outbound marketing for the caught domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nihar Khurana

SpeedLearnerEstablished Member
Impact
Hi All,

I am 3-4 months into domaining and had few sales by outbound marketing.(Mostly Handregs at GoDaddy)
Now started buying some more valuable names by using drop catching service.

I understand that all drop catchers have their tie-ups with specific registrars. Like all domains caught by DropCatch.com are registered at NameBright.com and for 60 days I cannot move the domain to any other registrar.
And unlike GoDaddy which is quite popular among end users, NameBright is not that popular and end users might not want to receive the domain in a NameBright account.

So my question to all the experienced pros here is do you generally wait for 60 days and then do outbound marketing? So that the domain can be transferred to any registrar as per buyer`s discretion?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Excellent question, I want to know as well. I have wholesale accounts I use with DesktopCatcher and I have thought about if an atypical registrar would make a sale more difficult. Of course if it's a good enough name then I'd just wait it out.

•••
If it is in 60 day lock you cannot move it, most buyers will not want to wait 60 days for a domain. I personally wait until there are no restrictions.

•••
@NameZest Thanks! Thinking of doing the same...Its worth the wait!

•••
I guess if you are desperate for to sell then you could offer a discounted price if they are willing to either wait 60 days for the transfer OR accept the domain to be transferred into a Namebright account that they can create.

Like for example.....in your sales pitch u can say something like "Price within the 60day hold period is $500 (on condition you will accept transfer into a Namebright account) after 60 day hold period the price will be raised to $700"

•••
I usually wait until the "auction lock" is removed before attempting to market a domain. There are many obstacles to overcome in order to make a sale and having to explain the "60 day lock" to an industry outsider just muddies the waters more.

Also, I like to give each name a fair shake (6-9 months) to receive an inbound inquiry before setting a BIN price or contacting potential end users. Inbound inquiries will usually produce much higher sale amounts than outbound.

•••
I buy a lot of names on Namejet that are registered at Enom. They fall in a "42-day auction lock". So I do not try to sell these names during that period. I would not be able to neither PUSH nor TRANSFER the domain. That is a huge restriction.

If its not an auction lock, but just a "60-day locked" restriction for TRANSFER. Then I advertise because there is always the possibility to PUSH the domain to same registrar. If the buyer does not like the registrar, at least he can still buy the domain and transfer it himself after the 60 days.

•••
@Thanks all ! Got what I was looking for...Best option is to wait for 60 days...Thanks again! NP is awesome!

•••
I have had no problem having them just create an account where it is registered and getting it right away.
Since I mostly sell to businesses and like 99% of them have godaddy accounts because that is the only one that advertises on TV really, I started just registering everything at godaddy and that solved any problems if there was any.

•••
I had only one case when the buyer didn't want to use some less known registrar. But anyway, i never wait these 60 days. If you have a few buyers interested, you eventually sell the domain, maybe for a lower price but you get your cash a month earlier.

•••
In general I agree with waiting as others have said, but in the case of domains which are bought for a quick flip you don't want it sat there for 60 days. So, for example, Godaddy is well known and used by many people, so depending on where/how you market it you could make it known that "until 2016-XX-XX this will require a push to your Godaddy account".

However, that looks fairly unprofessional in some ways, so only do it if needed and it's not a longer term domain name which should be handled with more professionalism etc ;)

•••
It makes no difference IMO. Ask the customer to open an account with the domains registrar, do a push and let him worry about transferring out. It is much easier this way you do not have to worry about auth codes and stuff. If the customer complains show him the link to the 60 day rule and explain that rules are rules and that you do not make them. Its just 60 days, few people will mind.

•••
The worst is when the domain is caught by Snapnames... Then it usually goes to the most strange, weird, forgotten by god, even sometimes shitty registrars... That i just cant advise to any buyer to go and open an account there. Then i need to wait 60 days and transfer the domain elsewhere to a normal registrar... And it's frozen funds, for 60 days.

•••
The worst is when the domain is caught by Snapnames... Then it usually goes to the most strange, weird, forgotten by god, even sometimes sh*tty registrars... That i just cant advise to any buyer to go and open an account there. Then i need to wait 60 days and transfer the domain elsewhere to a normal registrar... And it's frozen funds, for 60 days.

Gungagalunga.biz <---For real :laugh:

•••
•••
First of all, start advertising 10 days before lock ends... then by the time the transaction is settled it's ready to move.

Second, you can offer to set the DNS at the buyer's request while in the lock period. That's enough to make most buyers happy because they can start using the domain right away.

•••
One more related question that`s coming to my mind. Please help :)
Suppose I dropcatch a domain at NameBright.com/Dynadot.com and suppose I list it at GoDaddy with a Buy Now option. In such a scenario, what will happen if the domain gets sold in the first 60 day registrar lock period??

•••
One more related question that`s coming to my mind. Please help :)
Suppose I dropcatch a domain at NameBright.com/Dynadot.com and suppose I list it at GoDaddy with a Buy Now option. In such a scenario, what will happen if the domain gets sold in the first 60 day registrar lock period??

That happened to me and it was somewhat of a nightmare, but only because the buyer was unreponsive after he bought it.

After the 5 days, when I was given access to his email, I tried many times to email him and tell him about the process for doing a push on namecheap, but no response and after contacting godaddy auctions and thy tried with no success, it was determined that after 1 more month the 60 days lock would be off and at that point they would do the transfer for the buyer with the epp code. and that is what happened and I finally got paid.

•••
It's good to start right away so you know hard it is to sell the domain before two months go by.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back