Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You are talking about a domain hack. As such, it has no value if there is intention to infringe on the copyrights.

But if you just want a site with price comparisons, why not shopcost.com then? Or .net?
Why go for .co unless you intend the name to be read as ''ShopCostco''?

I don't really get it. I don't like the .co version.

•••
You are talking about a domain hack. As such, it has no value if there is intention to infringe on the copyrights.

But if you just want a site with price comparisons, why not shopcost.com then? Or .net?
Why go for .co unless you intend the name to be read as ''ShopCostco''?

I don't really get it. I don't like the .co version.

The .com would be sweet but would cost a fortune as it's already registered and same with similar extensions.

As a hack domain it is definitely something that will draw attention because of how it looks when spelled out but the intention would be not to infringe on any trademarks. It would simply be ShopCost as in shop the cost of something with the .co extension.

The domain will attract attention though, but technically the word is cost not costco so the trademark issue would only be a thing if someone was silly enough to infringe on the costco business motto. Simply providing a service like cost pricing should hopefully not infringe on anything.

Now it would get really interesting if it was used to reveal cost on costco products, that would be a court case waiting to happen, but we already know they mark items up by 13% less manufacturers coupons. I think I read that somewhere.

•••
I guess I'm just confused as to why you are talking about domain hacks here. Not sure what your point is.

If you want to make such a website and all the ''good'' TLDs are taken, then yeah, I guess that leaves .co.

Now it would get really interesting if it was used to reveal cost on costco products,

They could just...visit the costco website but yeah, I agree that it would be an interesting court case.

•••
I'm not looking purely for a monetary appraisal here but more so at the idea of the domain as well.

I was shopping at costco the other day and saw a giant banner with the words...

ShopCostco Online

The way they were spaced I remember thinking.... wow costco also owns ShopCostco.com

Turned out that was an optical illusion, or simply what I wanted to see, after all I am a domainer and always looking for ideas. So after some pondering I thought about it and asked myself if I could use it for a play on words.

Eventually I came up with ShopCost.co and I thought it would make a good domain for someone looking to make a website where people could shop the cost of products similar to sites that show you the cost on cars.

Now I only dabble in gTLD's and this one is technically a ccTLD but it is also in strange territory for me because I traditionally only shop ccTLD's from Canada (.ca)

What got me is the renewal price of this on go daddy $34.99 CAD as opposed to $11.49 CAD for a .com. So it is for sure that I will not be registering too many .co's unless I think there is something special there.

So my fellow members...

1. Would you have registered ShopCost.co

2. Do you think it has value?

3. Do you think it's worthwhile pursuing similar .co hack domains?
I personally do not think it has value, and I would not go for similar type of names (legal battles can get pretty expensive). But I am not lawyer by profession, so I might be wrong of course. But honestly, I do not feel this idea.

•••
legal battles can get pretty expensive

You are making two assumptions....

1. That costco would see it as a legal claim - doubtful unless it infringed in use.

2. That I would allow it to get as far as legal if costco did lay a claim :xf.laugh:

Trust me, for a 15 buck investment I am looking to see if I can make a $250 return.
If I can do that in the first year the idea had merit. If not it will be a failed experiment with a .co and will end there..

Too many domainers get attached to domains and try to defend them out of so called "principle"

I have no principle involved here, it either flies or it does not, quite simple. :xf.smile:

•••
You are making two assumptions....

1. That costco would see it as a legal claim - doubtful unless it infringed in use.

2. That I would allow it to get as far as legal if costco did lay a claim :xf.laugh:

Trust me, for a 15 buck investment I am looking to see if I can make a $250 return.
If I can do that in the first year the idea had merit. If not it will be a failed experiment with a .co and will end there..

Too many domainers get attached to domains and try to defend them out of so called "principle"

I have no principle involved here, it either flies or it does not, quite simple. :xf.smile:
That sounds reasonable. You are right, I was somehow making an assumption that you will defend the domain - but if you hand it over after first C&D letter, then it will be fine, imo.

I also think you can make 250 return on that, no doubt, but this requires that you need to find out someone who is dumb enough to ignore all potential concerns..this is the reason I do not feel it much.

All this has nothing to do with .co as such, if one can buy nice keyword in .co it can be very nice investment.
Anayway, enough of bashing of your domain, just wanted to share my opinion on this particular name experiment :)

•••
Do you want to soil your brand, remember there is no criteria to file a UDRP, any company can do so for any reason. Given you have your brand, on your whois, and that directs to all your domain, do you want to be labelled a domain squatter if you were to lose a UDRP, all for $200?

•••
Hmmm

The domain is two words
Shop Cost and the extension is .co

That is a far shot from a UDRP especially if the domain is used to shop costs of products or services.
I understand that the mind immediately goes to costco and that is why I registered it because one could use the novelty factor of the domain.

It was an experiment with my first .co and that is why I posted the topic. Of course one would have to be careful how you use the domain but I will have to dig a bit to see if the extension itself other than the domain could even be used in a UDRP.

Also if costco ever wanted it I would simply say here you go give me a free years membership and it's yours :xf.laugh:

I'm not fool, I won't be fighting over a 15 dollar hand reg :ROFL:

It's funny though how many new domainers that hand register something and get a notice will immediately post and spend thousands defending a simple hand reg. My opinion is and always will be that there are easier ways to make money.

That said.... $250 buys it if anyone wants it. Papa needs a new pair of jeans :playful:

•••
Terrible name, who pays $250 for the chance to have lawyers chasing?

•••

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back