Dynadot

Share Your Domaining Regrets

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ehugbo

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Just like every other business, as Domainers I believe there are times we have made wrong moves. There are times we wish we had taken a different approach to a situation, there are times we wish we had been a little bit more patient, there are times we wish we had done a little more research before making decisions, there are times we wish we should have put our fears and doubts behind and just do what we were supposed to do. Mistakes happen even to the best of us. I've read stories of people who sold their names for let's say XX and few days or weeks later the new owner gets an offer of XXX or XXXX for the same name. Others see a name available for hand reg but have doubts about it's value and ignore it, next the name is regged by some other person and sold for very nice profit. I have regged names which I felt were gold but then got disappointed after putting those names for sale in the market. Some domainers have been careless or moved too fast in a deal and got scammed along the way. I'm sure a lot of y'all have similar stories. Let's share our experiences here and learn from each other.
But then.. Whatever happens, don't stop believing. Sh*t happens most times, getting back up after a bitter experience will only make you stronger and more successful if you learn from those mistakes and try not to repeat them again. Good luck mates!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did lot of hand registration initially, it's the huge mistake I did and now slowly building my portfolio with proper names..

•••
I don't regret bad moves in business. In fact, there is always win-win. Either you earn or learn something. In fact, learning is more important for me. If I never fail, I won't learn anything new and won't grow at all. Everyone makes mistakes at start, which later on, they refer it as experience.

But the only regret I have: 'I started domaining quite late' :D

•••
During the 90-s I knew about domains, I knew It would be big, I had money, but did nothing.
If anybody wants to come over and smack me in the face I deserve it :laugh:

•••
During the 90-s I knew about domains, I knew It would be big, I had money, but did nothing.

Your address please?

•••
Was already in IT sector since early 90s. Only regret was not having the foresight to deal with the 'hassle' and 2 year minimum (35/year) registrations at NetSol with obligatory faxing in of info etc... Would have snared $xxx,xxx in LLL names.

That said, no point living in the past!

•••
I think a lot of us are in that same boat.
Well for me, I knew about domains in the 90's and figured it would be huge but unlike you I had no money back then (I was a student in the 90's ;) ). I do regret not asking my dad for a loan back then so I could have invested in domains though.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I think a lot of us are in that same boat.
Well for me, I knew about domains in the 90's and figured it would be huge but unlike you I had no money back then (I was a student in the 90's ;) ). I do regret not asking my dad for a loan back then so I could have invested in domains though.

Was already in IT sector since early 90s. Only regret was not having the foresight to deal with the 'hassle' and 2 year minimum (35/year) registrations at NetSol with obligatory faxing in of info etc... Would have snared $xxx,xxx in LLL names.

That said, no point living in the past!

Interesting, now I feel like a baby on here. Unlike y'all I was born in the early 90's and had no idea about domains and IM until sometime in 2010. I'd say you had better opportunity to make millions with domaining but.. ;)

•••
One of the biggest regrets I had was not listening to others when it came to different aspects of this business. Once I did start to listen and learn things took off just as they should.

•••
Was creating a thread on this, but found this :)

But my biggest regret to date was selling eVirtual.com for 2k in January of last year :(
I'm pretty sure could have sold for quite more had i held it just an year more.

Sigh

•••
Not buying bulk .com's back in 96/97 when I was advised to get involved in the net, oh well..

•••
Acquired dozens of hand reg. EMD names in the '97-2000 era.

Declined decent XXXX offers for some and held out for the XXXXX + offers to just come a rolling in.

Still awaiting the sounds of the five figure offers rolling down the driveway.

My Regret: Over valuing my names sautéed with a hint of greed.

•••
Not buying bulk .com's back in 96/97 when I was advised to get involved in the net, oh well..

I was a year old back then haha.

•••
Selling my 4L .com domains for $x-$20 during 2014/ 2015 and dropping all my LLL.net at the same time. Is probably my biggest mistake.

•••
Selling my 4L .com domains for $x-$20 during 2014/ 2015 and dropping all my LLL.net at the same time. Is probably my biggest mistake.

I remember those times lol!

I bet a lot of domainers here will resonate with this..

•••
3 regrets..

(1).buying 100+ long tailed keywords (dot) infos when there was a .99 cent special.. all in the same day...was shocked when registration was due! My pride used my credit card....

(2) not keeping all my domains in a spread sheet especially when I joined about 30+ registrars! Again, my pride made that decision..briguy will remember!

(3) Not joining Namepros before making (1) and (2).

•••
Although I bought my first domain in late 2004 but never got serious until 2010 so the gap of 6 years is my regret of not getting into this business with consistency. As of today, I feel okay since I made good comeback.

•••
When I started with domaining in 2015 I was very impatient and sold a few good domains in $xx range. However it was a learning process and today I'm smarter ! :xf.grin:

•••
My biggest Domaining regret is that when I have started Domaining in 2014, I have just spend lots of money on garbage domains but with the passage of time, I have learned a lot from my this bad experience and now I am careful in spending money on domain names. Infact now my focus is on quality and not on quantity.

•••
Couple silly ones hand regged in beginning, we all do it.

•••
Discovered domains back in 2010. Never gave it my full attention till 2015 when I discovered namepros which shined the light on the domain industry.

I'd also say investing heavy into the Chinese boom and not selling when it was at its peak.

Greed.

Yep, greed led to a massive loss.

You live and you learn :xf.smile:

•••
investing in chipshit

following the bandwagon

thinking that one thousand $1 domains are better investment than one $1000 domain

•••
Had a solid offer on an 8 letter.com @ 75k ten years ago and I decided not to sell and hang on for more. Fast forward 10 years and I still have the domain. No bites since... I was emotionally attached to the domain and have sworn that it would never happen again. To this date I look at all domains as a dollar value period. No emotional attachment whatsoever. It was an expensive lesson, but it set me on the right path in the domaining industry.

Last edited:
•••
Back in '04 or '05, I could have bought my NamePros username as a .COM for $12,000. I knew it was a good deal, but wanted it purely for vanity reasons, and money was tight, so I hesitated on making the purchase. Royal Jordanian Airlines got it instead.

:ROFL:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back