Selling via PayPal - Great tool here.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Picture0016.png

https://www.shopify.ca/tools/paypal-fee-calculator

It's by shopify and it's great because it shows you exactly what you need to ask for if someone wants to pay via paypal and you wish to recover the fees.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for that but those calculators are not always correct.
I have tried in the past quite a few of them and they were all wrong in my case (probably they are all based on the same api).

For example, I always pay 5.41% in fees but no calculator uses that % . To arrive at that percentage I had to check the numbers of *a lot* of transactions from the past.
Needless to say I was shocked with the sums I have paid to PPal so far :/

•••
Shopify is usually pretty good with their tools

Try it and see how accurate it is.

I would love feedback, I have used it a few times and it was pretty accurate.

•••
its an ok approximation nevertheless. paypal is very dependant on countries.
so where receiver lives vs where sender lives. that changes many things and fees.. typos of payments allowed etc.

a lot of variable there.. cross border fees.. exchange rates.. overheads on exchange rates. etc etc.

just do 4% flat.. and you'll be close enough for most cases.

•••
Here is one of my last transactions for money I received:

do the math

as @alcy very correctly said, it all depends upon the country, currency and I don't know what else but it definitely is not the percentage I see on the OP screenshot.

Last edited:
•••
Here is one of my last transactions for money I received:
Show attachment 81330

do the math

as @alcy very correctly said, it all depends upon the country, currency and I don't know what else but it definitely is not the percentage I see on the OP screenshot.
That fee is ridiculous!

•••
•••
That fee is ridiculous!

Tell me about it :(

Just think of this:
-I pay that fee for the tools to find domains
-I pay that fee to buy domains
-I also pay that fee when I get paid for selling domains

EDIT: sorry for taking that image down but the only reason I put it there was to prove my point :)

Last edited:
•••
Picture0017.png

@Hypersot you are being ripped off..... see attached right from paypal

•••
•••
Show attachment 81333

@Hypersot you are being ripped off..... see attached right from paypal

It's more complicated than that.
Please search for 'zones' regarding paypal fees. You'll see that things are not as simple as what you see on that screenshot.

Don't forget also the currency conversion and what is the 'base' currency in the country you are registered in.
For example, I believe I get those exorbitant fees because in my country they use euro while I work with US dollars.. that creates a problem for the paypal department here (which works with euros).

at least that's what I think of it

•••
I am currently working on a 20k transaction and my fee is $580 and I think that is already insane.

Any more and byebye paypal

•••
It's more complicated than that.
Please search for 'zones' regarding paypal fees. You'll see that things are not as simple as what you see on that screenshot.

Don't forget also the currency conversion and what is the 'base' currency in the country you are registered in.
For example, I believe I get those exorbitant fees because in my country they use euro while I work with US dollars.. that creates a problem for the paypal department here (which works with euros).

at least that's what I think of it

Ahh, yes... I see

Canada and US this is cut and dry, cannot say the same for europe.

•••
I am currently working on a 20k transaction and my fee is $580 and I think that is already insane.

Any more and byebye paypal
Why not use Payoneer Escrow or similar for the txn? It's a very high amount and PP is always risky and expensive

•••
It's a purchase and the seller is kind of a noob, I had to promise to pay the paypal fees. Ordinarily I have an in house payment system when I sell a domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back