IT.COM

domain Selling 365jz.info (Alexa) ranked #1,117 in china (Appraisal?)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

McKay Taylor

Established Member
Impact
Hey guys I'm new to this forum, I had been given some advice to come here first. I'm looking for your guy's opinions on 365jz.info its alexa report ranked it, #1,117 in china and #12,847 Globally
I'm trying to find my best option as far as a domain broker, vs auction etc.
I have a portfolio of over about 200 names but this would be my first major sale and I want as many opinions as possible. This domain as well as one other I are have are generating substantial traffic (95-98%) all being from china.

Ive used all the different online site estimation tools and it rates its worth anywhere from 250K- 800 K. I just wanted a 3rd parties opinion on what all my options are vs. your own personal ideas of how you would do it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I speculated it two ways. for the Chinese its the individual characters of their numbers making it easy for them? i believe from what i could find from 4 ish years ago it used to be a Chinese news looking site. the other option is the 365 days in a year jz relating to something specific to Asia china since thats where all the massive traffic is coming from.

•••
•••
I would try to find a chinese buyer.
Otherwise, not even worth reg fee.
Maybe develop as a chinese site?

•••
The domain itself has no intrinsic value. The value here is the traffic tied to the domain.

I am not sure why the domain receives traffic, how much it receives, how it can be monetized, etc.

If the traffic numbers are legit & steady then it could be valuable, but there are too many variables at play to give an exact number.

Brad

•••
So my best option is to build a site on it for the value and traffic with ads? Or else try to sell it through a Chinese market like 4.cn? The other site is just ####.com once again all the traffic is from China.

•••
So my best option is to build a site on it for the value and traffic with ads? Or else try to sell it through a Chinese market like 4.cn? The other site is just ####.com once again all the traffic is from China.

I think you really need to figure out more information about the traffic.

Where is it coming from?
Why is it coming?
Is the traffic steady or declining?
What can be done with the traffic?

Those are important questions to answer when it comes to valuation.

Brad

•••
Well the site has held its statistics on Alexa ranked over almost 5 years. And it was parked practically the whole time. They were both parked at rookmedia. Do u suggest I just keep them parked as is and get stats myself? And not mess with whatever is working (cause it seems to be) or actually just build a Chinese site? And ad Google analytics to it?

•••
The keyword here is 'investigation'.

At face value, this domain seems to have no use and no value whatsoever. It was parked almost the entire time it was regged, zero development.

When a domain has zero development and a lot of traffic, the red flags are 'where does that traffic come from' and 'why bother to send a lot of traffic to that site when it's not developed'.

WaybackMachine took many snapshots of this site, dozens each year it was regged. For a parked site? It doesn't even take nearly that many snapshots of any of my websites, and some of them are well developed. Also, all those snapshots are blank. Even a parked page will show up on a few of wayback's snapshots, while the rest will come back blank. But for this domain, I couldn't find a single snapshot that wasn't blank. Very strange to have literally hundreds of snapshots for a domain and every one is blank.

And for a domain to rank so high in Alexa, almost immediately after registration, and with no development, and to remain so steady for years, with no development, is extremely fishy. You don't just reg a meaningless domain, in dot info, and then magically start receiving hundreds of thousands of visitors... who don't even type in that term in English.

You mentioned that you might want to 'not mess with what is working'; things might be working right now, but it's important to investigate what's happening. If you're making a bunch of ad-based income on this domain, and later you find out the traffic is driven there by shady/illegal methods (methods that go against your ad provider's TOS), then it'll eventually be discovered and you'll start to enter a world of problems and possibly litigation.

The huge red flag for me is: someone spent a good deal of energy driving tons of traffic to this domain, apparently only for the purpose of making cash via parking ads. Then they let the domain drop after 4 years. If it's receiving so much traffic and making good income... why did they let it drop? People and corporations literally spend tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars to get their websites such good traffic that they receive these Alexa rankings... the previous owner somehow does that, and then just drops the domain?

Everything about this domain yells out trouble, to me.

It might not be. It might be fine. But all the signs point to a trouble domain, possibly used for phishing or scams or perhaps a lot of blackhat backlink building, I don't know. With fishy domains like this, you investigate to make sure you're not inheriting a bunch of trouble that the previous owner is running away from (that's often why they let such a domain drop), and you investigate to find out how stable and whitehat the traffic is. If you sell this domain for a lot of money to someone, based on traffic and income claims, and then a week or a month after that the traffic 'scheme' (if it was a scheme) implodes and their traffic instantly dies down to 10 uniques per month - which is what it should be for this domain - then you've possibly got a lawsuit and more problems.

Investigate, so you know what you've gotten into. For starters, email the .com and .net owners, ask what the heck this domain means, ask why it has any meaning to the Chinese, ask why it might receive so much traffic? Especially when the .com is simply parked for sale and the .net is blank? How come the .info is receiving so much traffic?

Good luck :)

•••
IMO - Just park it with bodis and see any real visitors / revenue. If so, the appraisal would be 10X of monthly revenue ( 3 month average revenue )

If no revenue, the domain is worthless. Sorry if I am rude

•••
Assuming that ahrefs.com is a serious site checking backlinks, this are the results:

Backlinks: 122
Referring domains: 45
Domain rating: 26
Global rank: 76,492,681

Too many referring TLDs from different countries. Not good.
Not valid clues in anchor phrases of what the former site is all about.
Domain parked, at least, since 2011.

With this information at hand, I'd have doubts to register it, even at reg fee. That does not mean that one or two of the 45 referring domains are excellent sources of visitors. But you must have this data if you have parked the domain.

•••
Well the site has held its statistics on Alexa ranked over almost 5 years. And it was parked practically the whole time. They were both parked at rookmedia. Do u suggest I just keep them parked as is and get stats myself? And not mess with whatever is working (cause it seems to be) or actually just build a Chinese site? And ad Google analytics to it?
You CAN'T go by traffic stats from Alexa. As others have mentioned here and in other threads to you, they can be faked. You NEED to park it somewhere (either parking site or personal hosting) and see how many uniques you get, where they come from (country, backlink, etc). I've had domains that are high on Alexa that get less than 10 visits a month.... never go by that alone.

Hope this helps!

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back