Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

private123

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks so much for the information @jmaurya and superb informative post, @OnlineDomainCom !

I suspect they felt the need to compete with Afternic (that had a much lower minimum) and Undeveloped (that I believe don't have a minimum?). Even though limited time, and only Category 1 main listings (almost all TLDs in that, but a few exceptions) I view the change as positive.

Another article (from Elliot at DomainInvesting( on the change is here:
https://domaininvesting.com/sedo-eliminates-minimum-fee-on-sales/

Competition in marketplaces is good for domainers.

Bob

•••
•••
I just saw that too on their LinkedIn. This is great for domain sale under $300. I have sold domain for $100 on Sedo once and received $40 after fees,, it sad but now looks more fair.

Agree with @Bob Hawkes (y)
Competition in marketplaces is good for domainers.
IMO,,,Undeveloped still the better for only 9% fees even for Make Offer (for domain sale under $12K) :)

•••
This could be good for Sedo Auctions.

•••
first of all... 60$ min fee is awful.
it is the worst in industry.. and they should be ashamed of it.
and not wave it for few months like they're doing someone a favor.
but reduce it forever.. cause all they do with this fee is hurt their reputation.
this is basically insane.

I just sold a xyz name there for $200 week ago.. and got $140.

even gd beats them with their 20$ min or 20%

either way.. this is of course better than nothing.. and tons of people complained so I am glad they listedn.. but still this is not something they should only do temporary.. or as some mighty promotion..

its never good to have the worst fee of all markets.

cheers

•••
This could be good for Sedo Auctions.
Although note that the recently announced Sedo expiring domain auctions are excluded from this temporary removal of minimum commission according to the fine print.

•••
Although note that the recently announced Sedo expiring domain auctions are excluded from this according to the fine print.

Oops, I meant our own auctions (free push to auction if someone makes an offer on Sedo on a name we listed there.)

•••
hmmmm, maybe I'll give some smaller sales a chance.

•••
Before it was $60 at Sedo it was $10 as I recall, and you could start an auction for $60 minimum bid.

•••
Before it was $60 at Sedo it was $10 as I recall, and you could start an auction for $60 minimum bid.

hmmmm.. normally this is not how it works... on most markets.. if min fee is $10 then there isn't really any point or reason to reinforce a start bid of $60...

•••
I found the specific wording Sedo used in announcing the change on Twitter particularly interesting. I have added the bold emphasis but note that they do not say earn more but specifically double. That would only be so if they expected many low value sales to result. I am probably making too much of this but it stuck out to me.

"Today we bid farewell to our minimum fee! Sell domains at Sedo and pay only the commission - no minimum fee charged. This means you can earn twice as much as before!"

I found the minimum they previously had too high, but by same token some minimum seems sensible. I think Afternic have it about right and would not be surprised if after end of year it moved somewhere similar (like $15 to $20).

Bob

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back