discuss Sedo launches "Direct Auction", Listing Fees at €59

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoWebnames.com

Truth alone triumphsTop Member
Impact
Just got this mail from Sedo.com:

Sedo’s Direct Auction
Auction off your domain names at Sedo any time.
Just choose the starting time and your desired reserve price - that's it! No application or initial bid needed!
Your benefits
    • High flexibility: Start an auction any time you want
    • Maximum exposure: Featured on Sedo's homepage & search results
    • Full control: Choose your desired reserve price
With our new Direct Auction, you are in control of when and at what reserve price you sell your domain. Additionally, your domain auction will be featured on our homepage and in matching search results, attracting new bids.

That's good news and great move by Sedo, it seems you can now launch your own auction any time for a plain fees of €59.

This is going to be quite exciting. With their much greater userbase, Sedo will give Flippa a tough competition for listing of the top notch domains. I believe many people, including myself, will prefer these direct auctions compared to taking a $350/$250 listing package at Flippa. I hate paying the $350 "premium" listing fees, that's actually a ripoff.

Probably Sedo's trying to kill two birds with one stone: drying up Flippa revenues and taking away the business of Escrow.com after the Freelancer deal. Great move and great timing for this announcement.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm under the impression that you can only set your reserve to a maximum of $10,000!? :xf.confused:O.o

Not sure why they would limit it like that! Takes all the really premium names out of the loop, no?

•••
Thats why Sedo is my Love ;) :D

•••
@Go Time Ventures, that's largely true for the normal listings but for the direct auctions, I guess they state quite clearly you can set the reserve at WHAT YOU WANT. See above, I have copied their email.

•••
It is interesting to have this option makes the most versatile and useful place for us.

•••
I'm under the impression that you can only set your reserve to a maximum of $10,000!? :xf.confused:O.o

Not sure why they would limit it like that! Takes all the really premium names out of the loop, no?

I see some names with reserve of 25,000-49,000. i havent tried it yet but i dont think they would limit like that.

•••
Well good news for domain flippers I guess.

•••
•••
Looks like Sedo is now separating itself from the rest of the marketplaces with this move. Flippa was making a push but this might effect Flippa and all the other domain marketplaces.

•••
There is a niche for domains that are expected to sell for middle xxx. They are not great enough to justify investing $250-350 on Flippa premium upgrades, but a fee under $100 can be viable.

•••
What is the period of the auction, one week?

•••
@Go Time Ventures, that's largely true for the normal listings but for the direct auctions, I guess they state quite clearly you can set the reserve at WHAT YOU WANT. See above, I have copied their email.

I agree that this is a great move by Sedo, but i'm still not certain about the $10k rule. Here is a screenshot of their Direct Auction page, "Set a price between $90 and $10,000". I am hopeful that they remove that maximum requirement, if it is indeed a ceiling.

Direct_Auction.jpg

•••
For sellers looking for liquidity and which have quality names with reasonable reserves, this option could work. However, fees will get expensive very quickly for those with unreasonable reserves or poor-quality domains. Imagine starting twenty domain auctions with so-so names at unrealistic reserve prices. None sell and you just lost ~$1200.

•••
This is a very clever move by Sedo.
Paying $250-$350 for a premium auction listing on Flippa is indeed a ripoff.
I may try Sedo auction soon with a very good .io domain which may fetch a max of $6k or a bit more.
Setting a reserve of $5k will be enough for me, in case there is a upper limit of $10k reserve.

Flippa will have no choice but to lower the prices of the premium packages due to this new development.
No one will think to pay them so much for premium auction listing unless the domain is extremely valuable.

Last edited:
•••
It's not clear to me whether there are any "Final Sales" Fees? Is this a simple $59 Flat Fee so that when it sells there are no other fees? The entire transaction only costs $59?

•••
I agree that this is a great move by Sedo, but i'm still not certain about the $10k rule. Here is a screenshot of their Direct Auction page, "Set a price between $90 and $10,000". I am hopeful that they remove that maximum requirement, if it is indeed a ceiling.

Direct_Auction.jpg
A price limitation seems quite contradictory to what they state earlier on in their email ("Your own desired minimum price").

But it's a good start anyway, many great names are offered at "NO RESERVE" at Flippa.
I do hope though that they remove this limitation completely or at least for really good domain names.
If not, it could prove to be a game spoiler for them.

Anyway, I will try out this auction. Not sure if they will provide a "free review" direct auction. :)

•••
It's not clear to me whether there are any "Final Sales" Fees? Is this a simple $59 Flat Fee so that when it sells there are no other fees? The entire transaction only costs $59?

i would think you still pay the 10-15% commission, which is same as other marketplaces

•••
A price limitation seems quite contradictory to what they state earlier on in their email ("Your own desired minimum price").

But it's a good start anyway, many great names are offered at "NO RESERVE" at Flippa.
I do hope though that they remove this limitation completely or at least for really good domain names.
If not, it could prove to be a game spoiler for them.

Anyway, I will try out this auction. Not sure if they will provide a "free review" direct auction. :)

Definitely a good way to start, i'd like to see that reserve ceiling be removed. Or at least have a curator that allows premium domains to set higher reserves. Either way, let me know what your experience is with your auction! :)

•••

€59 is only listing fees I guess.
You still pay the regular commission if your name sells.

•••
Thanks for the replies guys. If there is a "Final Sale" fee, then what is the rate? The 10%, 15%, or 20%? (Or other)???

•••
Thanks for the replies guys. If there is a "Final Sale" fee, then what is the rate? The 10%, 15%, or 20%? (Or other)???

i think its 10% if you have it parked with sedo and someone clicks on the "buy this domain" link from the parked page. if not then its 15%

•••

I guess 15% since Sedo probably considers auctions as "Marketplace" (https://sedo.com/us/services/price-list-for-services/):

Sale Type Commission

1. Buy Now sale originating on Sedo's Domain Marketplace in which the domain is also parked3 with Sedo
10% of sale price* (minimum fee applies)

2. Sale originating on Sedo's Domain Marketplace
15% of sale price* (minimum fee applies)

3. Sale originating on the SedoMLS® Promotion Network
20% of sale price* (minimum fee applies)​

•••
One of the things a like about this is that Sedo is probably the best place to sell domains in languages other than English. Names that I doubt would do well on Flippa, German names, for instance, may do well on Sedo auctions.

•••

I believe that with additional verification's you can exceed the $10,000 limit. I think that is there to make it easy for those that don't want or need the additional verification's.

•••
I believe that with additional verification's you can exceed the $10,000 limit. I think that is there to make it easy for those that don't want or need the additional verification's.

That would be fantastic!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back