Dynadot

"Search Engine Optimization is not a legitimate form of marketing."

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I found an interesting blog entry questioning the validity of SEO, and I'd like to hear what you guys think about it from the other side of the fence.

Search Engine Optimization is not a legitimate form of marketing. It should not be undertaken by people with brains or souls. If someone charges you for SEO, you have been conned.

Full article: Derek Powazek - Spammers, Evildoers, and Opportunists

Steve

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anyone who pays to do what he himself needs to do is not called being a fool. It is just called giving work to someone else to do the things on his behalf.

If everyone wants to do SEO himself then yes they can do it. Who has tied them up?

But many people don't want to do the hard work and that is why they take services from others. So they themselves can focus somewhere else. Maybe some other parts of development or maybe hang out with friends. The SEO guy just does the work for which he is paid for. Now that isn't being fooled.

I could have said same thing about programming. Like blah blah blah. Everyone can do their own coding. And those who pay for coding are fools?

Those who pay designers for designing are fools?

Irony is that his own blog post has this stuff :

"Spammers, Evildoers, and Opportunists"
In Advertising, Comment Spam, Geek, Google, Internet, Journalism, SEO, TILTHW, Technology, Weblogs

I say it is keyword spamming :D

Last edited:
•••
SEO is definitely LEGAL as per Google Webmaster guidelines.

•••
I will agree to what Nick said. Paying for SEO services is a normal and a ok thing. When a person build a home: he hire people to construct it. He can learn the constructing work himself too: so that he can do the work himself but is it a good idea if he is already doing another job in a office? :)

Not everyone can do SEO and many people are not interesting in learning it either. So for them, paying for SEO services is pretty much normal and ok thing.

•••
Isn't it Google's job to index our sites? Why do we have to build our site to cater to search engines, and not the other way around?

•••
I would say that taking into account the fact that the main part of users come to website from search engines make sure that proper search engine optimization will play an important role in your online advertizing strategy.

•••
Isn't it Google's job to index our sites? Why do we have to build our site to cater to search engines, and not the other way around?

Well it is :) But if you present it in nice way then you have better chance to out perform others.

I think SEO is about the way we present our site to the search engines.

Good links, Good structure, Good content etc.

On blackhat side No comments as we don't consider Blackhat SEO as SEO over here in this section :)

•••
great insight nick! People ask for the services of others because they want to widen their scope in the business by doing other stuff that can add up to their income. I believe it is also a way of giving more job opportunities to others and it is a great way to earn money too.

•••
•••
•••
So, if SEO is not a legitimate form of marketing, then how should sites be promoted in the space of the Internet? So, ads in the Internet are legitimate form of marketing, then what's wrong with SEO? I can agree that black hat SEO is not legitimate, but other kinds of SEO are legitimate as well as useful forms of e_marketing!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back