Domain Empire

discuss Scam Alert: 5-Figure Offer For A Domain With a $2.5k Buy Now Price

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JMbusiness

Established Member
Impact
Hi, so I got this message via GoDaddy for one of my domains that is listed with a Buy Now of USD 2,499:

Hi! I'm contacting you regarding the domain you listed for sale. Our clients wants to acquire it and make five figure usd offer to secure it for his new web project. Regards, E. Yoshida *CENSORED* Inc. 26-2 Sakura*CENSORED* Tokyo, Japan

This must be a scam, and they must hope to get the domain transfered to them outside GoDaddy, while they don't send the money. I haven't bothered with replying because I can't see another way how this could go. The domain is listed for 2,499 dollars, 4 figures. Why the hell would they want to make me a 5-figure offer (10,000 dollars or more) when they can hit Buy Now and buy for 2,499, at least 4 times less than what they intend to pay? I received one more identical message for another domain listed for 4,999, which is still 2x less than 10,000.

What do you guys think about this? And have you gotten a similar message over GoDaddy recently?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This seems to be happening all the time at GD lately. Report it to GD as the fraudy spam it is.

•••
This sounds like the "Appraisal Scam"

You show interest, they ask you to get an "Official" appraisal using their link of course. You pay for the appraisal certificate and then you never hear from them again...

There's a new thread like this on a weekly basis...

Last edited:
•••
Hi. Thanks for sharing. I just received the same exact email from the same source offering $55K for my domain name. I did reply requesting details and the response was exactly the same as noted above. Definitely seems scammy. Maybe I should counter with them paying all the fees (korean certificate, appraisal up front) using an escrow account or agency that I trust and see how they respond....

has anyone reported them to GD auction or domain who service?

•••
Hi. Thanks for sharing. I just received the same exact email from the same source offering $55K for my domain name. I did reply requesting details and the response was exactly the same as noted above. Definitely seems scammy. Maybe I should counter with them paying all the fees (korean certificate, appraisal up front) using an escrow account or agency that I trust and see how they respond....

has anyone reported them to GD auction or domain who service?

Don't waste your time with these people. It's 100% scam. This has been going on for many years and it seems a lucrative business for them. Eventually, they will ask you to do some appraisals which you will need to pay. Beware and stay away!

•••
Don't waste your time with these people. It's 100% scam. This has been going on for many years and it seems a lucrative business for them. Eventually, they will ask you to do some appraisals which you will need to pay. Beware and stay away!

Thankyou!, i am blocking their emails

•••
I got that too, it was dubious when the "multi milionare business owner" couldn't pay for research and a "validation certificate"... lol wtf? O_o

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back