RIAA Sues 12yr old girl...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DSL

Established Member
Impact
What do you think of this?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/09/music.swap.settlement/index.html

I think the RIAA is playing a fair game to keep the music industry alive by taking the alocated money it needs but I don't know about going after 12 yr old kids... what do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think they can sue as many people as they want, but they'll never stop pirating and file sharing.

•••
Originally posted by wicked_gal00
I think they can sue as many people as they want, but they'll never stop pirating and file sharing.

Agree, and its pretty lame to sue children ..

•••
I guess the question is, now that the RIAA is suing users, are you using file swapping programs less? Are you pirating less music now?

Concerned? Worried? Couldn't care less?

•••
I have never done it much. I only used it to get serial codes for games that I lost them for.

•••
I don't use file sharing products because it ruins the market. For instance if people keep swapping music, artist won't beable to make a living off of the music industry and there we be less jobs. There will also be alot more companys going bankrupt.

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
I guess the question is, now that the RIAA is suing users, are you using file swapping programs less? Are you pirating less music now?

I could carealess. They'll never catch me.

•••
Part of why I never took any law courses or degrees - It was getting silly 20 years ago and just keeps getting worst.

•••
•••
daz: maybe we will finally get some good music after all these crappy pop artists go broke and beg for my change!

I also live in a country with no copyright laws... so worried? HAH! Not even a member of the WTO so they have nothing they can do to people out here ;)

•••
Agree

Originally posted by DaZ884
I don't use file sharing products because it ruins the market. For instance if people keep swapping music, artist won't beable to make a living off of the music industry and there we be less jobs. There will also be alot more companys going bankrupt.

Agree 100%

Because when Gta vice city came out what if everyone had a copy of it ? There will be no Gta 4 or 5 ;)

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-

abit concerned. but there are still other ways to get music..

•••
FYI - The RIAA settled out of court. She was potentially liable for $100,000 and court costs. After the huge publicity, it was settled on $2000 which her mother paid.

She also had to make a long, groveling announcement and her appologies to the labels and artists whose rights she infringed.

There are 268 other people on a target list the RIAA has at present in the US.

Fun and games....fun and games.

•••
Well it seems its the new way for the music industry to get it's money.

•••
With the exception of various High Profile Stars saying MP3 is a good thing, there just looking for scape goats. They have been over charging the consumer for years now. The consumer gets there own back, and all of a sudden, the "unfair play" rule comes out.

I think it'll just do them more damage!

•••
•••
•••
I think that the RIAA is abusing the artist's work more then the KaZaA users are.

•••
oh well I havent DL music in ages. New music is a bunch of junk anyway. Nothing I have heard on radio to even make me want to fire up kazaa

•••
No kidding. KaZaA's music quality is deffinatly going down hill. it's horrible now. Majority of the songs you download have scratch sound and stuff in them.. not satisfied. But hey, it's free :D

•••
The corrupted files were put on Kazaa BY the RIAA in hopes to piss you off and make you stop using it...

I use WinMX anyways, forget Kazaa. But it seems RIAA is doing exactly what they set out to do - show that EVERYONE is responsible, no matter how old...

•••
i believe file sharing and DLing takes some money away from artists but its not sending them to the poor house . i use to be a manager of a music store the company has 11 stores , the store i ran sold around 500-2000 cds a day, more around the holiday season . and thats not counting the band merch (t-shirts, hats, stickers) bands make more off selling their merch than they do selling their CD ... if someone likes a band they are going to go out and pick up the cd , thats just my 2 cents

•••
I can kind of vouch for what RIAA is fighting for... the whole time I had cable internet and Kazaa, I never bought a CD (I burned all of them). Now that Kazaa is pissing me off so much with their corrupt files and stuff, I've actually been buying CD's.

•••
I wish there was a system in place that would allow us to pay the artist directly.

•••
Ya that way both sides win...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back