NameSilo

RETARDED.COM - Should this domain be auctioned in the largest domain industry convention?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RETARDED.COM - Should this domain be auctioned in the largest domain industry convention?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • NO

votes
    42.4%
  • YES

votes
    57.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Retarded.com - Should this domain be auctioned in the largest domain industry convention?

The term RETARDED is defined as "offensive" on Dictionary.com, Merriam-Webster.com, Vocabulary.com and Wikipedia.org. The latter one describes it: "The word retard was widely accepted in the late-1900s to refer to people with mental disabilities; however it is now more commonly used as an INSULT. The word has gained notoriety for causing a growing number of mentally disabled people to feel unfairly stereotyped."...

This insulting and offensive domain should not be part of the the largest domain industry convention. This reflects on sponsors and attendees alike. The auction has been advertised as "Super Premium" and there is nothing "SUPER PREMIUM" about offending and insulting mentally and physically challenged individuals. As a person who knows and works with autistic children I kindly ask for this domain to be removed from the sponsored industry event immediately. This domain does not and should not reflect on the entire domain industry, but at this point it does reflect, and it is insulting.... Here is a list of of the top sponsors for the convention that is promoting the auction with the offensive and insulting term to those that are physically and mentally challenged, through no fault of their own.

Uniregistry
RightOfTheDot
Namejet
Rightside
Verisign
Radix
InternetX
Affilias
GoDaddy
Escrow.com
101Domain
DomainSponsor
.WS
Donuts
CentralNic
.Blog

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Those of you who are bothered by retarded.com being in the auction,
Would you be upset if rape.com was in it? I know they're pretty different. just curious.
Or what about motherf****r.com?

•••
If it makes good business sense for them to do so? Absolutely.

But the OP is too busy labelling people immoral.

It's not a good business decision IMO on their behalf, ROTD but that's just my opinion. The OP is just expressing their feelings and has brought this to the attention of others which is fine.

•••
Would you be upset if rape.com was in it? I know they're pretty different. just curious.

Why does Rape keep getting mentioned? Not even relevant to the thread. Geesh...

Last edited:
•••
I would not have a problem with those domains.... At the same time if I was the decision maker I would not put those domains in the largest domain auction....Rape victims do not find offense with the term 'rape'...People with medical conditions and their families have asked that we do not use the R-word. I respect their request. It's called RESPECT... If rape victims started to get offended with the word 'rape' I would also honor that request. It's called RESPECT....

•••
I find it very offensive when someone advocates censorship as a means of furthering their own personal agenda.

Read my replies within the entire thread and you'll understand what my point is.

Again, NO agenda on the OP's behalf IMO, it's how they feel, among others like me and that's why this debate is ongoing.

The fact is there is no good purpose for this domain name and I challenge anyone that can show different. It will never be used, or accepted within the R community because they're trying to remove the name from being used. So don't tell me it could be purchased to help them, they don't want it, period.

What else could it be used for? Something funny, something cool, pizza related, etc... Never...

It will fail and at best will be a blank page, or just parked somewhere. If ROTD leaves it in the auction, some fool may buy it but they will loose their butt in the long run, my 2017 prediction! :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Fight for what you believe in.

•••
Okay, didn't need to compare rape.
Those were bad choices.
Thanks for clarifying though.

Maybe things like fatass, the n-word, and some others would make more sense.. can't think of many. Don't feel like continuing that :yuck:

Just found this
https://flippa.com/5992318-retard-com

http://domaingang.com/domain-news/retard-dot-com-domain-auction-suspended-at-60000-dollars/
Oh you commented on that too..lol

https://flippa.com/6257587-retard-co
"I have owned this domain for 6 years now and am not qualified to develop it to it's full potential. I believe the domain has great potential in the right hands." O_o

•••
Fight for what you believe in.
I am fighting for them.
2013-03.jpg

•••
"I have owned this domain for 6 years now and am not qualified to develop it to it's full potential. I believe the domain has great potential in the right hands." O_o

Let it drop, now I see why you defend this word. :xf.sick:.

•••
Let it drop, now I see why you defend this word. :xf.sick:.
I guess I should have added a comment below that. That was a quote from the seller.. or maybe I'm misunderstanding you too :xf.laugh:
I thought it was an odd statement, but maybe it was just their sales pitch.. wondering what the 'great potential' is.

no I don't defend the word
edit: but yea, i was arguing the auction of this word might not be so bad, but I'm not set on that opinion. might give up thinking about it soon :dead:

Last edited:
•••
NP members vote in the OP's poll, it's private and you don't need to reply in the thread.

All the members here and only 99 votes, let's see how you feel! TY....

•••
Retarded? God knows how blessed they are : )

•••
The fact is there is no good purpose for this domain name and I challenge anyone that can show different. It will never be used, or accepted within the R community because they're trying to remove the name from being used. So don't tell me it could be purchased to help them, they don't want it, period.

What else could it be used for? Something funny, something cool, pizza related, etc... Never...

It will fail and at best will be a blank page, or just parked somewhere. If ROTD leaves it in the auction, some fool may buy it but they will loose their butt in the long run, my 2017 prediction! :xf.wink:

So now you speak with the voice of all mentally challenged people?? And you lovingly refer to them as "the R community"? This is getting beyond ridiculous.

If it's going to fail then let it fail. Relax.

31914460.jpg

•••
the word haves more than one meaning in fact it probably dident start out intended for what people think is offensive , on a bus and other large vehicles there is a device called a brake retarder, which help the bus slow down to help the brakes work better.

words are words should we ban the word rack , or breast or pound or wet or suck or finger or teabag or hung

•••
I guess it's almost like a domain like FAG.com (this is an offensive term for Gay people in many countries however in the UK it's a slang for a cigarette)

I think if there is merit to show that the domain name can be used for other purposes other than the blatant offensive purpose then it should be allowed...

Just my 2 cents though....

http://www.fag.de/content.fag.de/en/

Btw: FAG is a very successful bearing company in Germany, I recall learning about the name on a empty box thrown in the trash. I was in the shop of an Auto Mechanic friend, picking up my car. This was in the 70's. They have been around many years.

I hate getting involved in this sort of controversial discussion, however I have to agree that censorship is wrong, there are many good and bad points to this discussion and I don't like names that are offensive or illegal or whatever, however thinking positively that perhaps the purchaser of the name retarded.com will use the name to promote something positive when they take possession- and a group that supports autism as an example might benefit.

Excluding the sale would preclude both a positive and negative use of the name.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't like names that are offensive or illegal or whatever, however thinking positively that perhaps the purchaser of the name retarded.com will use the name to promote something positive when they take possession- and a group that supports autism as an example might benefit.

I don't see any potential for it being used in a positive way.

Has anyone heard of Rosa's law that Obama signed? If not you can learn more here:

https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2010/10/05/obama-signs-rosas-law/10547/

https://www.congress.gov/bill/111th-congress/senate-bill/2781/text

Last edited:
•••
In support I have changed my Avatar

Pledge to show respect to everyone - resources available @ R-word | Spread the Word to End the Word

Cheers
Corey

•••
In support I have changed my Avatar

Pledge to show respect to everyone - resources available @ R-word | Spread the Word to End the Word

Cheers
Corey
THANK YOU COREY!!!

•••
Has anyone heard of Rosa's law that Obama signed? If not you can learn more here:
Nope. But based on that legislation, the word will now be of little value even to Autism or Down's Syndrome people because of the change you just posted- and I can see your point. So I wonder who would buy it and what for??? Thanks for educating me, but more laws, more laws.... here we go another "law" that costs taxpayers millions of dollars to correct text, and books, and publications, etc. all for the sake of political correctness. Awash in 20 trillion in debt, just pile on another $x million, to change a name like that.

Record setting 2015 81,000 pages of new laws.
http://thehill.com/regulation/admin...record-year-for-federal-regulation-group-says

Great.. and even more in 2016- up to 97,000 new pages:
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog..._adds_97000_pages_of_regulations_in_2016.html

Or the Federal tax code ballooned to 74,000 pages
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/look-at-how-many-pages-are-in-the-federal-tax-code/article/2563032

Have you ever watched John Stossels "Lemonade Stand" episode?

And to protect us all from offending someone, maybe the domain name industry might find itself with teams of lawyers in the US congress drafting up legislation next year to regulate the industry from registering "offensive names".

•••
Nope. But based on that legislation, the word will now be of little value even to Autism or Down's Syndrome people because of the change you just posted- and I can see your point. So I wonder who would buy it and what for???

The domain is good for nothing, you're correct, was wondering if anyone took the time to read that post and how relevant it is to this thread.

I deal with new regulations within my primary business that has cost me tons of money over the past three years but that's another thread. It is what it is, whether I/we like it or not.

Last edited:
•••
Retarded.com - Should this domain be auctioned in the largest domain industry convention?

The term RETARDED is defined as "offensive" on Dictionary.com, Merriam-Webster.com, Vocabulary.com and Wikipedia.org. The latter one describes it: "The word retard was widely accepted in the late-1900s to refer to people with mental disabilities; however it is now more commonly used as an INSULT. The word has gained notoriety for causing a growing number of mentally disabled people to feel unfairly stereotyped."...

This insulting and offensive domain should not be part of the the largest domain industry convention. This reflects on sponsors and attendees alike. The auction has been advertised as "Super Premium" and there is nothing "SUPER PREMIUM" about offending and insulting mentally and physically challenged individuals. As a person who knows and works with autistic children I kindly ask for this domain to be removed from the sponsored industry event immediately. This domain does not and should not reflect on the entire domain industry, but at this point it does reflect, and it is insulting.... Here is a list of of the top sponsors for the convention that is promoting the auction with the offensive and insulting term to those that are physically and mentally challenged, through no fault of their own.

Uniregistry
RightOfTheDot
Namejet
Rightside
Verisign
Radix
InternetX
Affilias
GoDaddy
Escrow.com
101Domain
DomainSponsor
.WS
Donuts
CentralNic
.Blog

to be honest you say it is insulting for them to be putting the name out there for sale and people should not have to see the name and it should be done privately , but yet you start a thread with the word in capitals and put it all over namepros ? if you believe they should not put the word on there marketplace then why do you put it on here in capital letters ? maybe change the title to R-Word ? :)

•••
Theoretically, there are ways to develop this domain in a non-offensive manner. The most straightforward way is to make a humane website that explains why this word makes some people sad and asks to think twice before using it in everyday conversations. So, a domain is not really something to fight against. Similarly, domains like nazi.com and the like: they could become nazi websites, academic history websites, or even websites that teach specifically why what nazi did was deeply wrong.

Nazi was a political party - This post is about a derogative slang. One might look at the two as the same, but they're not.

•••
I'm late to the discussion but I highly doubt this name would sell anyway or if it does, not for very much. Not much development or commercial potential there. Does it personally bother me that domain is being sold? Yes.

However, in the domain industry; words are words and words are domains. It really depends on what the buyer does with the name, imo. I hope it goes to a good cause.

•••
Regardless of the morality of the name, insinuating that it should be removed from auction and even be deleted because it may offend others is entirely the wrong approach. There has been an increasing amount of people who seem to have a blind obligatory need to push and preach the importance of morality to others. This is a trend that goes beyond domaining, this is a trend within our global society and it is wrong. Who will be hurt emotionally if this domain sells?

Maybe a few sensitive people but in reality the group that everyone seems to think will be offended will likely have absolutely no idea this sale even happened or even that retarded.com exists. The restrictions on this name are determined by the law and not the opinions of insignificant people like you and me, if you can't deal with that then too bad. There is a market for the name, regardless of whether people are offended by it and the law, whether you like it or not, permits the sale of the domain.

Restricting the sale of this name as others have said, is promoting censorship and that is something that should be avoided in not only our own little world of domaining but on the internet as a whole because the last thing anyone wants is to have to walk on eggshells just to do something as simple as buying a domain name, which is already increasingly difficult. You have to realize that actions like censorship are actually against the people because by nature it restricts our liberties and freedoms.

Don't put emotion into business. Especially when its something you have no control over...take it for face value and move on. Everything and everyone has a price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back