Watch

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
Michael Ehrhardt

Real Account Real Name

Why use a username at all ❓

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Michael Ehrhardt

Real Account Real Name

Why use a username at all ❓

That's a good question. If namepros would make it that any member who pays for a business account has to display their real name it would give some more visibility to issues like this. It could be matched with the name on the card they used to pay their monthly fee!

Just a thought and our names are all over WHOIS records everywhere so no need to hide them.

•••
That's a good question. If namepros would make it that any member who pays for a business account has to display their real name it would give some more visibility to issues like this. It could be matched with the name on the card they used to pay their monthly fee!

Just a thought and our names are all over WHOIS records everywhere so no need to hide them.

Or a legitimate business name.... that would work too.

•••

Or a legitimate business name.... that would work too.

The idea sounds good but won't work. Business members pay to earn more freedom on the forum. They have the exclusive access. Putting restrictions on BM will make the whole user level absurd since BM have to display records that a regular member can avoid anytime.

If you want to make Real name / Business name mandatory, make it for all or no one.

•••
If you want to make Real name / Business name mandatory, make it for all or no one.

I'm all for that, I would feel much more secure if everyone had to use real name. That would add a whole new layer of security in auctions and sales.

•••
I only suggested real names for business members because there is a payment that can be cross referenced to their given name. If a process can be created where eveyone has to use their real name or registered business name (a listed llc, ltd, ag etc) I would be all for it.

•••
If it's mandatory for all, better. Only for some usergroup, drop it.

•••
Yeah I think it's a good idea.

If we are conducting business here, then everyone should use their real name(business name or website can always go under it). It should not be an option based on whether you pay for business account or not. Transparency shouldn't be an option of privilege. It should be mandatory. I think it will bring more sanity to the forum.

1. I be talking to people who use names that's not even their gender.
  2. People are prone talk alot of smack when they can hide behind a made up name
  3. It adds to the security. If we have to represent ourselves, then hopefully we will see less scammers. Because people just go create a new username. I'm guessing if their name is verified somehow.
  4. The problem is how do you verify someones name? Not everyone has a business account..or use their bank card on this site. And we can't turn into escrow.com with verification. Any suggestions?
What's the objection to using your real name?

•••
•••
There are many who believe if anonymous then those people should not be allowed to do business, and a lot of people here who think they are anonymous, a lot of people know their real names, I know people who have dedicated hours of their life to find stuff on someone, years ago someone once said in the Dot Tv community that they don't use their last name and no one will know. I had a guy call me and say Raymond me and about 5 other people spent a couple hours and we now know his name, do you want it? I said I already know it but thanks.

•••
Making real names / business names mandatory won't help a lot. You'll need a dedicated team to verify documents, to validate the name/business of a member. That'll add pressure and expenses on Staff. Plus, limitations will keep interested members out of the community.

NP already has a section where in you can add your real name. It's not mandatory, but yes, it's there.

upload_2018-5-8_11-15-2.png

I would say this feature won't help much. Since this is free to join and open community, I don't think @Eric Lyon and team would want to limit a member's experience on the forum.

Remember.
- Members with real name / business name, on forum, can scam too.
- Members without real name / business name, on Forum, can be genuine buyers/sellers too.

•••
•••
I suppose there is always the option to take more advantage of the namepros LinkedIn group. I've just requested to join but see there are only 14 members so far.

•••
I suppose there is always the option to take more advantage of the namepros LinkedIn group.
We do not have an official LinkedIn group. If one exists, then either it was created for brand protection purposes or someone is infringing. Please send a DM to this account with a link to it.

The only official group we have outside of NamePros.com is a Facebook group with over 18,000 members:
The rest of our social media accounts are not groups.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back