Domain Empire

services Request to hold/hide domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chacha Wixard

Established Member
Impact
I am new, but after a long gap (15 years) not doing buying/selling domains. I have a question. Is there any service/way that we request to hold/hide domain from Internet. Let's say A has domain with price $1000, and B wants to purchase the domain for a project with client. B does not want to spend $1000 upfront if the client does not want to execute the project. But B also does not want to lose the good domain name and B does not want anyone contact A about the domain including the client and the competitors. So can B asks A to hide the domain (of course not a domain with a functional website), which take down the sale page, take down all prices on internet (registrar, etc), and agreement to not answering in any leads for the domain. It's like renting but short period. Let's say with $1000 BIN, the price to hold/hide is $50/month. If at the end if rent, B wants to buy it, deduct the price with the renting money. But if B does not continue, A will keep the money and can open again the domain.

Is that a common practice in domaining? Or that is too complicated? If you are domain owners, are you willing to do that? If you are buying, is this practice something that you may looking?

regards

Chacha Wixard

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am not even going to try and understand what your getting at you can hide your whois and you don't have to host anything.

•••
This isn't a common practice and I am not sure it would make much sense for the seller, unless the domain name doesn't gather much interest to begin with. If you approach a seller asking them to do this, their first instinct would generally be to contact every previously interested party and tell them that there is a new potential buyer that put in some money up front to express their interest. Thus, as a buyer, your best move would probably be just to negotiate toward a price you find reasonable to begin with.

On top of that, we're not even getting to the fact that it may be difficult to remove the name from auctions at times because some have updating issues, in other cases there may be backlinks or historic evidence that the name was for sale. What happens if they breach this agreement either on purpose or by accident?

IR

•••
Well it is actually like renting. I see some domains are up for renting. Why not treat the request like renting.

Last edited:
•••
Well it is actually like renting. I see some domains are up for renting. Why not treat the request like renting.
If you rent a domain, you basically can do whatever you want with it. (whithin the limits of the contract)
-- Making the domain offline shoudn't be a problem though.
And depending on the terms agreed, you can get the exclusivity over the domain (agree on a BIN before starting the lease, which can be claimed at any time)

•••
If you rent a domain, you basically can do whatever you want with it. (whithin the limits of the contract)
-- Making the domain offline shoudn't be a problem though.
And depending on the terms agreed, you can get the exclusivity over the domain (agree on a BIN before starting the lease, which can be claimed at any time)

Yes. That is correct. So for example we are dealing with a project for a client. Potential domains are a1.com, a2.com, a3.com (just examples) and we try to hold/rent the domains for 3 months while developing the plan. All domain owners agreed to rent out those domain for 3 months with bin at anytime. Once the client (investor) make decision which name they want to go, we bin one of them. If none, we terminate all the renting.

•••
I am new, but after a long gap (15 years) not doing buying/selling domains. I have a question. Is there any service/way that we request to hold/hide domain from Internet. Let's say A has domain with price $1000, and B wants to purchase the domain for a project with client. B does not want to spend $1000 upfront if the client does not want to execute the project. But B also does not want to lose the good domain name and B does not want anyone contact A about the domain including the client and the competitors. So can B asks A to hide the domain (of course not a domain with a functional website), which take down the sale page, take down all prices on internet (registrar, etc), and agreement to not answering in any leads for the domain. It's like renting but short period. Let's say with $1000 BIN, the price to hold/hide is $50/month. If at the end if rent, B wants to buy it, deduct the price with the renting money. But if B does not continue, A will keep the money and can open again the domain.

Is that a common practice in domaining? Or that is too complicated? If you are domain owners, are you willing to do that? If you are buying, is this practice something that you may looking?

regards

Chacha Wixard

Rather unorthodox, but I believe you can come to a gentleman's agreement with the seller where you lease the domain for a period of time with an option to purchase at lease end. The agreement should state that you maintain first right of refusal during the short term lease. Everything is negotiable. You don't really have to hide anything. I've done similar deals in other industries.

•••
With money most things are possible, I take it you mean, I own example.com. you and your client have been discussing developing a website/product/service with the name Example.com. You would like to tie up the name without being committed to purchase it because you don't know if the client will get funding/Change their mind/pick a different name when ready to go live.

So you want an option on the name for 3 months say, you pay the option price and in 3 months you either buy the name or let the option expire.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back