IT.COM

status-monitor REQUEST: Allow Longer Edits for Domain Coupons and Offers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should NP Allow Longer Edits for Domain Coupons and Offers?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    50.0%
  • No

votes
    25.0%
  • Up to 7 days

votes
    25.0%
  • Up to 30 days

votes
    25.0%
  • Indefinitely

votes
    37.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

usernamex

Top Member
Impact
I would like to request that it be considered to allow edits in the Domain Coupons and Offers section
https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-coupons-and-offers.358/

Many times coupons and deals change rapidly and it creates a lot of confusion and extra work when a deal cannot be updated as the situation changes. Even if changes are posted within the thread, the new information is difficult for members to find when they have to wade through pages of info for the good stuff.

It would be of tremendous value to the community if this section were changed to allow edits, I cannot see any reason why there would be any issues with edits

Helpful members who are frequent deal thread participants - lemme know if you would be supportive of this
@alcy @HKIBC @luantt @Nick V @thekiller @bazabizo @Silentptnr @baseballworld @Cdomains @Michael Ehrhardt @Avtar629 forgive anyone I missed

We also get a significant amount of duplicate threads in this section, or duplicates are posted elsewhere, and it would be awesome if there was a great way to handle duplicates or new ideas to prevent duplicates from happening in the first place.

Thank you for your kind consideration : smile :

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would like to request that it be considered to allow edits in the Domain Coupons and Offers section
Edits are allowed: Click Here. You want us to increase the time limit.

What's a more reasonable time limit to allow edits in that section? We'll increase it.

Thanks,

•••
Unlimited would be lovely, then I can fix my expired deals from last year : huge grin :

Are the only options unlimited, 7 days and standard 30 minutes?
And I am guessing if this change is possible it will not work retroactively?

•••
Are the only options unlimited, 7 days and standard 30 minutes?
We're moving away from unlimited except in the Marketplace.

7 days might be plenty for coupons or 30 days for month long promotions?

And I am guessing if this change is possible it will not work retroactively?
Yes it'd apply to all threads in that area.

•••
OK then put my vote in for 30 days, that is nicely in sync with most registrars promo windows. Coupons seem to either have clear expiration dates, or have a predetermined usage limit so 30 days will work for that as well. It doesn't help that registrars themselves aren't always clear on promo and coupon limits

Thanks!

•••
From my point of view, edits should still be allowed. And the current edit time limited is ok (for me). If you run out of the edit time, you can make a comment below and tell about your new contents.

By the way, I must say that there is still small inconvenient in Domain Coupons and Offers. Sometimes, duplicate threads are being created (Same deals, same time...). That will be the reason for making the information being dispersed, especially when people asks/ answers in many posts with the same things. @Eric Lyon, This is what should be figured out asap. Thanks

•••
@luantt - the challenge with the current 30 minutes is sometimes a coupon appears to work or not, then we get a bunch of frustrated users, who might read the post, then run off to try and use the coupon, then the post was wrong, and we're stuck with bad info. I have a few times reported my own wrong posts to be deleted, and that just creates a bunch of extra work for the mods.

For duplicate threads, one way of handling it would be link to the first posted thread, and then kindly ask the duplicate thread starter to close their thread, or the request could be made to a mod, but I was trying to lessen the mod workload. Plus then you still have the annoyance of people visiting a locked thread just to get to the open thread.

And speaking of edits, it would be great if this thread could be edited to "Allow LONGER Edits" since obviously that is what I intended all along!

•••
"sometimes a coupon appears to work or not, then we get a bunch of frustrated users" - I choose to check it first, see if it works or not. Or sometimes I will put a not or warning on my posts. I think that's the best and fastest way for all of us to get the news.
For duplicate threads, besides asking for mod help, whenever I wanna make a new thread, I will search for the same one if it existed or not :D
Somehow, it works.
But that's only my opinion, others might need longer time.

•••
it'd definitely be nice to have a min 30day window for coupon threads.
but unlimited would be imo even better.

perhaps in very least allow the original creator of thread to edit first post forever? I think its more coding, but I think the complexity level of this request is reasonable.

best regards
merry xmas.

•••
We've updated the Coupons forum to allow edits of posts for up to 7 days. Let's see how this works and then we can consider 30 days if others feel 30 days would be better.

Please post in this thread if you find that there is a need to edit posts for up to 30 days rather than 7 days in the Coupon forum.

I've also added more options to the poll.

Thanks for your help,

•••
•••
•••
*bump*

OK the current dot NET Flash Sale is going to go over our 7 day edit window, so here is a case where 30 days would be more useful

Also the DirectNIC thread would have been helpful to have longer.

perhaps in very least allow the original creator of thread to edit first post forever? I think its more coding, but I think the complexity level of this request is reasonable.

Is there any way to allow alcy's suggestion for the first post unlimited?

And longer edits for Title would be super, since I would have made it more clear the thread was for all registrars with Flash offers, we ended up with half a dozen threads. It wasn't clear just how many registrars would be participating when I started it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back