NameSilo

Remove Domain History

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bought a domain with no privacy and then realized that I should get privacy so I paid for it. But now anyone can just view the domain history and see my public information before it became private. How can I have the old public history hidden or removed for free or at a cost.

matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Matt,

Only someone with a subscription to Domaintool's would be able to view the history of your domain name, and thats assuming they've even recorded it. Domaintools does not capture all data changes, so you are probably good.

Justin

•••
it will update and show private. just give it some time.

•••
Yes, the WHOIS takes some time to be updated and the current information removed. But you need to realize that the privacy only protects against a quick look. If someone really wants to know who owns a domain they are going to find out who you are.

•••
Here is what I have learned.

1. If you every buy a domain without privacy it is impossible to ever remove your information that you owned it.

2. If you get privacy AFTER the information is public you still can not make the old public information private. So this means that it will appear private but someone can just click on history and see that you owned the domain.

Domain tools made the following comment:

"All the information we display on our website is legally-mandated public information and easily obtainable. Domain Tools is only a third party displaying this information. Historical information is never deleted as we consider deleting history the same as burning books."

"It is private once it became private at the registrar. History prior to that is available."

Personally I think its crap, you should be able to make your information private when you pay for it.

•••
Ok, what your still not acknowledging is that not everyone has access to that data. Domaintools is a subscription service (with limited subscribers), only those people can access it, IF its there.

PM me your domain name and I will tell you.

Justin

•••
Spade said:
Ok, what your still not acknowledging is that not everyone has access to that data. Domaintools is a subscription service (with limited subscribers), only those people can access it, IF its there.

PM me your domain name and I will tell you.

Justin

I understand not everyone has that access, but for $10-15 someone does.

I look up my domain and it shows private now, BUT if I go and click on any of the listings in history it shows my name before I made the domain information private.

I don't expect to delete someone else's history, I just believe that if I am paying for privacy why can't the privacy go back to when I registered the domain.

Matt

•••
archiman said:
I understand not everyone has that access, but for $10-15 someone does.

I look up my domain and it shows private now, BUT if I go and click on any of the listings in history it shows my name before I made the domain information private.

I don't expect to delete someone else's history, I just believe that if I am paying for privacy why can't the privacy go back to when I registered the domain.

Matt

Well, the issue here is info. Once something is published on the internet, it is very hard to get it removed, if not impossible. Your paying for privacy from your registrar, not domaintools which is basically just a data company archive company. The same exists for domain sales with NameBio.com (my site). We record all domain sales from all different auction houses, the buyers and sellers dont typically like that information being archived, but it is.

Justin

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back