Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Related or random?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
NamecheapNamecheap
Watch

chimaera

Established Member
Impact
37
I'm in the process of setting up a new business ... which I hope and think could be huge.

Of course, as all people in this situation, I am struggling with a domain (and therefore company) name.

Do I go for something related to my business, but relatively "dull"? Or something meaningless but brandable, like meebo.com or flickr.com.

Ideally of course, it would be both - but having searched for a LOT of domains, I am of course not finding many available that I like!

I am currently leaning towards the latter ... ie meaningless and brandable.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Brandable domains seem to be more popular now than they were.
 
0
•••
They definitely are, but at the same time most globally successful companies have a related (but usually brandable) name.

I've found a couple that I am going to consider and have made enquiries about some more, so hopefully I'll come to something that hits me!
 
0
•••
Two other possibilities -
Consider alternate extensions - you will have to stress that it is not a .com in your advertising, but it works for some businesses and alternates are gaining recognition - as time goes by there will be less confusion. Not the best answer, I agree, but the best answer sometimes is not possible.

Consider using two names. That is what I have done - a brandable .com, that I use anytime I ask someone to type it in, that forwards to the base website located on keyword-keyword.net . This second name is for the search engines, I think it helps a lot to have the keywords in the domain. Yes, that is a hyphen - search engines like them. I also have the no-hyphen version (name number 3) which I use for a related informational site linking to the base site. Three names = ~$24 per year. Such a deal.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

More data. Your data. See what is new
Major update
We have made a number of features available to provide sellers more data for their domains and inquiries, and greater access to the data...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back