Domain Empire

question Refund of premium domain.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainzy

RetiredTop Member
Impact
NOTE: this was NOT an auction.

Couple days ago we bought a domain from godaddy from the 'premium' listings. Some of our domains are also listed at godaddy under the 'premium' listings. Every time someone buys from us its final. Done deal.

However we got a email with a refund, saying the seller priced the domain wrong, and the domain can't be moved. WTF!

So he relished the domain and priced it way higher....

This guys tactic is to price a domain at a reasonable price on premium godaddy listing, once it sells, he says he priced it wrong and then relist it for more.

Watched this domain for over a month, it wasn't like he priced it yesterday.

This happen to anyone else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This guys tactic is to price a domain at a reasonable price on premium godaddy listing, once it sells, he says he priced it wrong and then relist it for more.

Do you have evidence the seller's done that before? Anyway, a month, that is highly suspect.

I've had similar experiences on GoDaddy, except it was an unauthorized listing (at least the 'true' owner denied listing the domain).

•••
Waiting for a "call back". No info just that it was priced wrong.

The seller has 1,107 domains at godaddy. He is not a noob

•••
It is extremely frustrating. Especially since GoDaddy is completely unsympathetic (sorry is a cop-out).

I'll tell you something also. I had another experience where I purchased a domain at Buy Now price, and then GoDaddy canceled the sale claiming it was improperly listed (something about a dual listing at Afternic, blah blah) but I wasn't buying it. The seller is a "respected" registrar owner. Still owns the domain. So much for integrity, huh?

•••
As far as I know in such cases godaddy recovers some fees from the sellers. The fine would be double the amount they would make in case of a smooth sale.
Once I had a domain listed on godaddy as buy it now but I forgot to remove it and sold to someone else. Then it was sold on GD auctions too. So I contacted GD auctions support and they fined me and suspended by GDA account until I paid the fine. After I paid it was all okay.
So I think your sellers must have paid the fees/fine too.
There is nothing else godaddy can do if the seller says "I already sold it sorry" etc.

Last edited:
•••
NOTE: this was NOT an auction.

Couple days ago we bought a domain from godaddy from the 'premium' listings. Some of our domains are also listed at godaddy under the 'premium' listings. Every time someone buys from us its final. Done deal.

However we got a email with a refund, saying the seller priced the domain wrong, and the domain can't be moved. WTF!

So he relished the domain and priced it way higher....

Is this domain registered at GoDaddy? I ask because, now that Afternic premium listings show up on GoDaddy, premium listings might be coming from a different registrar. Also, were you in possession of the domain for any length of time?

•••
Is this domain registered at GoDaddy? I ask because, now that Afternic premium listings show up on GoDaddy, premium listings might be coming from a different registrar. Also, were you in possession of the domain for any length of time?

The domain was registered at Godaddy and list on godaddy. The domain was in my account for less than one day and they sent me a 'delete domain from account confirmation' email, so yes i did have it, and no i did not confirm the delete or have a say in it

•••
The domain was registered at Godaddy and list on godaddy. The domain was in my account for less than one day and they sent me a 'delete domain from account confirmation' email, so yes i did have it, and no i did not confirm the delete or have a say in it

I think the relevant TOS is here:

https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=reg_sa&ci=61805&isc=gdbb2745&marketID=en-US

There's a section on Premium listings that says that premium domains are non-refundable. Also, in the seller's agreement it says:

"In the event that you update your sale price, you acknowledge and agree that it may take up to 24 hours to update the price shown to buyers. In the event your domain name sells prior to the price being updated on the website, you agree that the price listed will be enforced."

This seems to suggest that the seller agrees that whatever price is listed at the time of purchase is the price the seller has to live with. I haven't found anything in there that allows a seller to cancel a premium listing after it has sold ( maybe I missed it? ).

•••
That's pretty crappy! I didn't think GoDaddy allowed this.. I too thought the seller would need to pay if he wanted to do this kind of thing?

•••
When the domain went in your account did it change to your whois? If not you could have it transferred out in 15 minutes flat - they would not get it back.

If the WHOIS entry had changed you hit the 60 day GD lock - but if you pushed it into another GD account at once it might be harder for them to get it back from another owner.

Second thread like this lately - the other did not say where it happened. IMO as soon as you get a domain, get it out of that registrar at once.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back