Domain Empire

question Reducing WHOIS spam -- Ideas?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Most of us in this forum probably get more than our fair share of WHOIS spam emails, given our above average holdings of domain names compared with the general population. Any ideas on how to reduce it? I seem to get endless "Expired SEO" spams, for example.

I was thinking that the amount of spam I receive might be lower if I switched my admin email address to a Google Gsuite/Gmail powered account. My theory is that spammers don't want to get banned by Google Gmail or Google GSuite, and so there'd be above average spam to domains hosted elsewhere. Alternatively, Google might be quicker to slow down such bulk mail, since they see more of it compared to smaller email providers. In other words, there's some extra protection being part of the Google Gmail/Gsuite "herd", so to speak.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As far as whois goes I use...

P.O. Box ($76.00/Year, Price varies by location) Can use street addressing, signature on file for deliveries that require it.
Pre-Paid Cell (Grandfathered in to old deal as been using it for years so I can basically pay as little as $10.00/Year)

Custom email strictly for whois so I know every email received is coming from whois lookups. So kinda considered a garbage box to begin with as since my domains point to sales pages most offers come through those sales pages and I don't see many whois offers anyway. Can add filtering as well but since I know it's basically a dedicated junk whois email I usually just peep it real quick to make sure no offers and bulk delete them once a week/month or so. So send all the SEO offers ya want as they find the bulk delete button on a regular basis.

So any emails, mail, calls are seperated from my real business as those 3 things are only listed on whois so it doesn't disrupt my real business as all 3 are filtered away for $86.00/Year or considered "garbage" to begin with.

If your not okay with custom email/filtering spam assassin etc...

http://mailwasher.net

still lets the email get to your server so basically just a program to delete all the junk so no chance of opening an email with virus etc... So basically a way to bulk delete junk from an application before logging into your server and seeing it all.

If your really trying to not even receive any of it even in spam folders an old school program can do that...

http://www.spamarrest.com/

Aggressive as hell but it does work if ya really never wanna see it on your server. They have to confirm their email before it delivers which spammers won't so ya never get any of it. Same principle as running your own box trapper but I'd caution against running your own as then your server is sending out tons of confirmation emails which might get your email ips blacklisted. Annoying for real business=yes unless ya white list regular contacts For Whois emails okay as mostly garbage anyway.

Sure hundreds of other programs out there as well but I've tried the 2 above in the past.

Last edited:
•••
I use an Hotmail address and they block a lot of spam. When I'm doing outbound I'm always bored if it's an Hotmail account because also If you create a manual mail, more often than not, the prospect will get that mail in the spam folder

•••
Which domain are you calling about again?
I am looking for testimonials from developers that only develop quality names would you be prepared to give a testimony on the quality of the domain you choose to work on? you can see my email in the whois if you send that testimony i may consider working further with you.

•••
For those running their own mail servers:

If you have Exim:

As an example, if you want to block those annoying "domain expiration SEO" spam mails.
Here is how to drop the SMTP connection immediately, before the mail is even accepted by your mail server.

You can either add a rule in your exim.conf file, or use an include file.
Open you exim.conf file.
In the ACL section, locate the check_message section. It might be empty. Before the final accept statement add this:

Code:
# block Expiration SEO spam
deny message = "Bye bye spammer"
regex = ^(?i)Subject:: .*Expiration SEO
The regular expression is case-insensitive.
So the section should look like this:
Code:
# ACL that is used after the DATA command
check_message:

# block Expiration SEO spam
deny message = "Bye bye spammer"
regex = ^(?i)Subject:: .*Expiration SEO

accept
Then apply the configuration:
Code:
service postfix reload

SMTP test:
Code:
telnet #########.### 25
Trying ###.###.###.###...
Connected to #########.###
Escape character is '^]'.
220 #########.### ESMTP Exim Sat, 30 Sep 2017 19:40:04 +0200
helo #########.###
250 #########.### Hello #########.### [###.###.###.###]
mail from:<[email protected]>
250 OK
rcpt to:<[email protected]>
250 Accepted
data
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
Subject: domain.com expiration Seo

blah blah blah
550 "Bye bye spammer"

Exim log on the server:
Code:
2017-09-30 19:38:51 1dyLin-00032N-Tz H=#########.### [###.###.###.###] F=<[email protected]> rejected after DATA: "Bye bye spammer: ^(?i)Subject:: .*Expiration SEO"

If you have Postfix, I can give you a formula (using header_checks).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back