Dynadot

Recommendation for non-US domain name registrars ?

NameSilo
Watch

-__-

Established Member
Impact
I am currently looking for a good, reliable, secure non-US registrar that also offers private whois protection to register a few domains, please recommend me some good ones.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
there are many to choose from..
good+popular+affordable ones:

InternetBS.net
INWX.de
DomainMonster.com
Mitsu.in (for .IN)

•••
there are many to choose from..
good+popular+affordable ones:

InternetBS.net
INWX.de
DomainMonster.com
Mitsu.in (for .IN)

Do INWX.de private whois service?

•••
Do INWX.de private whois service?

Sure they do:

"At the moment the following TLDs can be used for the Whois Privacy service: ae.org, ag, ar.com, biz, br.com, bz, cc, cn.com, co, co.bz, co.lc, com, com.ag, com.bz, com.co, com.hn, com.lc, com.sc, com.vc, de.com, eu.com, fm, gb.net, gr.com, hn, hu.com, hu.net, info, jp.net, jpn.com, kr.com, l.lc, la, lc, me, mn, mobi, name, net, net.ag, net.bz, net.co, net.hn, net.lc, net.sc, net.vc, no.com, nom.co, org, org.ag, org.hn, org.lc, org.sc, org.vc, p.lc, qc.com, ru.com, sa.com, sc, se.com, se.net, so, tv, uk.com, uk.net, us.com, us.org, uy.com, vc, ws, xxx, za.com"

•••
Do you have particular extensions in mind?

One thing to bear in mind, regardless of where the registrar is, if you have .com or any of the other tld administered by Verisign, you are still subject to US law, and the whims of the US government.

Aside from that, if you are going to be registering cctld's, then I recommend using registrars in the respective countries for each extension. They are going to be the most knowledgeable in the intricacies of their own cctld.

•••
Sure they do:

"At the moment the following TLDs can be used for the Whois Privacy service: ae.org, ag, ar.com, biz, br.com, bz, cc, cn.com, co, co.bz, co.lc, com, com.ag, com.bz, com.co, com.hn, com.lc, com.sc, com.vc, de.com, eu.com, fm, gb.net, gr.com, hn, hu.com, hu.net, info, jp.net, jpn.com, kr.com, l.lc, la, lc, me, mn, mobi, name, net, net.ag, net.bz, net.co, net.hn, net.lc, net.sc, net.vc, no.com, nom.co, org, org.ag, org.hn, org.lc, org.sc, org.vc, p.lc, qc.com, ru.com, sa.com, sc, se.com, se.net, so, tv, uk.com, uk.net, us.com, us.org, uy.com, vc, ws, xxx, za.com"

Thank you so much! Have you ever used them for your domains before? are they good? I am glad that I ve found one that actually provide private whois, most european registrars don't provide private whois protection :)

Do you have particular extensions in mind?

One thing to bear in mind, regardless of where the registrar is, if you have .com or any of the other tld administered by Verisign, you are still subject to US law, and the whims of the US government.
Thanks and I know this.

•••
Have you ever used them for your domains before? are they good? I am glad that I ve found one that actually provide private whois, most european registrars don't provide private whois protection :)

using them for a small number of .de, .eu, .asia domains
they provide free .de trustee service which i use as i do not have required DE contacts
.asia trustee is free too
my experience with them is limited - less than a year i believe.. but have had no issues so far. they have english version of the site (inwx.com).

never used their private whois, it seems it's free too (for supported extensions)
i would ask for more info/reviews/opinions on .DE thread here on NP - i think there are many EU/DE members that have been with them for years / have numerous domains regged there

•••
using them for a small number of .de, .eu, .asia domains
they provide free .de trustee service which i use as i do not have required DE contacts
.asia trustee is free too
my experience with them is limited - less than a year i believe.. but have had no issues so far. they have english version of the site (inwx.com).

never used their private whois, it seems it's free too (for supported extensions)
i would ask for more info/reviews/opinions on .DE thread here on NP - i think there are many EU/DE members that have been with them for years / have numerous domains regged there

Thank you again!!!!:]
I put up a new thread there, hopefully someone will reply. Have you heard of any bad things about them thou?

and also, there is something I don't understand here:
www . inwx.de/en/offer/whoisprivacy

"If you want to transfer a domain with activated Whois Privacy to another provider it has to be disabled first."
is this something that everyone need to do when they transfer their domains to other registrar? need to disable the private whois first, or it is just required by INWX only? I mean, if I disable it(even for a min), then, everyone could see it? that sounds kind of strange..

just curious, so you feel comfortable enough to not use private whois?

Last edited:
•••
One should not rely upon a third party whois privacy service. Instead, set up your own. A P.O. box + VOIP number for example. Incorporate so you don't have to use your personal details, and your assets are protected because technically they don't belong to you but to a legal entity.

That being said, privacy is not the same as anonymity. The registrar will have to know your identity one way or the other, just because you have to make payments to them. If you are hit with a UDRP one day, the account holder data will be released to WIPO.
If you want true anonymity you have to plan ahead and everything comes at a price.

•••
One should not rely upon a third party whois privacy service. Instead, set up your own. A P.O. box + VOIP number for example. Incorporate so you don't have to use your personal details, and your assets are protected because technically they don't belong to you but to a legal entity.

That being said, privacy is not the same as anonymity. The registrar will have to know your identity one way or the other, just because you have to make payments to them. If you are hit with a UDRP one day, the account holder data will be released to WIPO.
If you want true anonymity you have to plan ahead and everything comes at a price.

:o that kind of makes me worried:o So those whois privacy service is not really private at all, this is what you are saying?!:o But some registrars told me that they will not release my personal info until they receive a court order, do you think I can trust them for this?

I don't mind the registrar knowing my identity, as I am not planning to do illegal things, but I just feel uncomfortable that people(pretty much eveyone) can find out my phone number, email address etc easily, I don't want people to stalk me or send me some hate emails and stuff..

so can people get an UDRP very easily then ( now, you mention it, I am worried) are people allowed to file a (fake)UDRP complaint without a good reason? and after they release the personal info to WIPO, what will WIPO do with the info? will they release it for the public to see? ( I don't know much about WIPO, as I am new to domain names and registrars and stuff)

I wonder if it is worthy to set up a mail box just for a few domains....

and do you know If it is important to fill out my personal phone number? I saw some sites offering free voice mail service online, I wonder if it is ok for me to use them instead of providing my personal phone number?(I mean, will they need it to verify my identity, when ,for example, someone steals my domains in the future)

Thanks for sharing your opinions:)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back