IT.COM

Recent Ventures

NameSilo
Watch
I always find it fascinating how people get into this industry, by this industry I mean anything web related.

I think what started me off was an online game called Runescape (dunno if it's still around, was like 5 years ago), I started a "clan" and began creating a small fan site from there it just grew into a fascination with web design and PHP. Over the next few years I found myself going from one project to another, earning a lot more money than any of my class mates.

That's a small insight into my life, I've done everything from importing goods from china to running several web hosting ventures.

What's your story?

Regards,
Sean

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I bet 99% of the teens here started first in Gaming. :)

I started gaming too, then I created an InvisionFree forum for a fan site ( just like yours ) then I tried playing with css and photoshop. I read tutorials and stuff. and my friend in our place taught me how to do html and flash. but I was more hooked on Photoshop. and then I started designing websites, then developing them... then poof! money, It helped me in my studies right now and It helped me pay our house's taxes too.

Glad It could be a big help to my life and especially to my family. :)

I'm really Thankful I joined NamePros, it motivated me, to learn domaining, developing or even designing.

Btw. Nice Topic :)

•••
Yep - Runescape is still running strong.

When I started - I was a news junkie and started this news blog - I wanted to make it better so I was reading up on it, and joining these webmaster forums and eventually I was hooked

•••

I started gaming too, then I created an InvisionFree forum for a fan site ( just like yours ) then I tried playing with css and photoshop. I read tutorials and stuff. and my friend in our place taught me how to do html and flash. but I was more hooked on Photoshop. and then I started designing websites, then developing them... then poof! money, It helped me in my studies right now and It helped me pay our house's taxes too.

I'm really Thankful I joined NamePros, it motivated me, to learn domaining, developing or even designing.

I like some of your work, I accidental came across a short URL site you designed, the moving background was awesome.

I'm finding this topic really interesting, please keep those stories coming!

•••
I like some of your work, I accidental came across a short URL site you designed, the moving background was awesome.

I'm finding this topic really interesting, please keep those stories coming!

Aww. Thank you. :)

I like your avatar and your signature :bingo:

•••

Gaming isn't what got me in this industry. Strangely enough, torrents got me to where i am today. I had first discovered about torrents back in 2004/2005 when i was reading a computer magazine. I always use to use public torrent sites such as isohunt, torrentportal and mininova. This urged me to create my own torrent website so i registered the domain torrentrealm.com back in 2006. I slowly learnt from there about hosting and creating websites. I closed it down in 2008 due to the lack of funds and haven't reconsidered opening it again since there are many private trackers out there now. I've ran and owned hosting companies over the years.

Web design is my weakest area and system administration is my strongest :P

•••
Gaming isn't what got me in this industry. Strangely enough, torrents got me to where i am today. I had first discovered about torrents back in 2004/2005 when i was reading a computer magazine. I always use to use public torrent sites such as isohunt, torrentportal and mininova. This urged me to create my own torrent website so i registered the domain torrentrealm.com back in 2006. I slowly learnt from there about hosting and creating websites. I closed it down in 2008 due to the lack of funds and haven't reconsidered opening it again since there are many private trackers out there now. I've ran and owned hosting companies over the years.

Web design is my weakest area and system administration is my strongest :P

Great story, It looks like most of us started the industry in-directly, so we gained interest because of having a current interest in something else. I suppose that's how we come to learn a lot of things in life.

•••
I joined up to a Proboards forum for aussie homeschooled teens just after I turned 13. One of the kids on there used PSP X2, and I used Photostudio 2003 which came with out scanner. We had battles and I did fairly well. Then I created a Proboard for my mum using Photostudio and by ripping images from other successful Proboards. Then I got Gimp and started playing around making sigs. Then I started playing around with Blogspot's and create one for my mum and myself with some colour changes and headers. I then started playing around and created my own Proboard which was never finished. Then I saved up and bought PSP X2 which was apparently very good. I got it and was impressed and gradually got better at sigs. I then started a vForum, which died. :P Then I bought Creative Suite Design Premium CS4 and got into web design. Then I created yet another Proboard which eventually died. Then I got into xhtml/css and now I'm learning online marketing and Jquery.

•••
•••
The title of this thread is a bit misleading. :P

Anyways, recemt ventures are:
My design portfolio(Just acquired domain from BuyDomains)
URL Shortener site
backlink checker site
logo gallery site
personal site

•••
I pretty much started out on Neopets probably 10 years ago, I never really played it for the pets just the guilds and the guilds got me in to designing pages for the guild, then setting up invisionfree forums, from there I switched pet sites and then decided I wanted to create my own so thats when I began teaching myself php and mysql. So from all of that I've basically done everything I wanted too online, I've made and sold websites, scripts, designs, goods, etc. I'm not really actively developing anymore because I've kind of lost the sense of fun in developing.

•••
sorry about the title, I realized after that it could have been worded better.

anyway, its still turned out to be an interesting thread.

@chicken: I remember neopets, there was a JavaScript cheat on the potato counting game, LOL, that was a loooooong time ago!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back