Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Rate the Indian Languages

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

Sleepys

Established Member
Impact
62
I find Indian IDNs to be more difficult than some other IDNs because of all the different languages. Chinese has simplified and traditional, but that isn't too hard. Most other countries only have one main language.

So, my question is, which of the Indian languages are worth registering in IDN? If some of you with more knowledge of the Indian IDN market want to rate the top languages and put them in order of best to worst, I am sure that it would help a lot of us.

Thanks
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
yes please dont buy Hindi / Gujrati IDN's yet. Let me register the good ones first :)
 
0
•••
I just want to say that this is the most informative thread I have read here on Namepros regarding IDNs - though specifically for India, it is a great example of how the views of an investor and the views of a person living in a particular region of the world are very different from one and other.

Great thread !!!

Alex
 
0
•••
Some very good cmments and views from all, it just goes to show what happens when many great heads get together, but more so the whole idea of namepros has proved invaluable in this thread :) Nice work everyone
 
0
•••
Yeah, there is always more we can learn. Thanks guys. :tu:
 
0
•••
How would you rate these:
श्री.com Sri
अविवाहित.com Unmarried
आसन.com Asana
गुरू.com Guru
गुरू.net Guru
घड़ी.net Watch
ध्यान.net Attention (meditation?)
पुरुष.net men
प्राण.com Prana
प्राण.net Prana
भक्ति.net Bhakti
भगवद्गीता.com Bhagavad Gita
महात्मा.com Mahatma
माया.com Maya
मुफ्त.com Free
मैथुन.net Sexual intercourse
वेद.net Veda
संयुक्तराज.com ?
संसार.net ?
स्वामी.com Swami
अश्लीलचित्.com ?
कैरियर.net Career
क्रय.com Purchase, buy
खुशी.net Happiness
गृह.net House
नीलामी.net Auction
पाकिस्तान.net Pakistan
बंधक.net Mortgage
ब्लॉग्स.net Blogs
योगाभ्यास.com yoga ?
योगासन.com Yoga ?
रूस.net Russia
विक्रय.com Sales
विचार.net Idea ?
सुरक्षा.net Security
सेल.net Sale

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Some things to consider for the future:

Soon 'virtual keyboards' will become mainstream. I guessing within the next 5 years, these backlit keyboards will contain most, if not all languages in them.

Internet by satellite will be available to every surface on the earth with the possible exclusion of the artic and antarctica.

The tech sector in India has increased at least by 10 million per year during the last 5-10 years.

Desktop computers will become much cheaper than TVs.

Most peoples love the tradition of keeping and promoting their own languages.
 
0
•••
Phio said:
Some things to consider for the future:

Soon 'virtual keyboards' will become mainstream. I guessing within the next 5 years, these backlit keyboards will contain most, if not all languages in them.

Well,
This won't address the problem #6 specified in my previous post. Whatever be the format of the keyboard, the procedure remains same for typing a particular letter.

Phio said:
Internet by satellite will be available to every surface on the earth with the possible exclusion of the artic and antarctica.

The tech sector in India has increased at least by 10 million per year during the last 5-10 years.

Desktop computers will become much cheaper than TVs.

Again, these points are not applicable for the illiterates.

Of the estimated population of 205 million in the age group 6-14 years on March 1, 2002, nearly 82.5 per cent was enrolled in schools. However, drop out in 2002-03 at the primary level was 34.9 per cent and at the upper primary level, it was 52.8 per cent.

The number of illiterates today exceeds the population of the country of around 270 million at Independence. The largest segment of the world’s illiterates is in India.

Tech sector is growing everyday, because of global collaborations and widespread trading activities which are conducted ONLY in English.

Have you ever found a technical job (Computer Industry) in India which requires a Non-English language as a mandatory one? The situation is entirely different for even technical jobs in China or in Japan. The applicant should know Chinese or Japanese, which is the basic eligibility in most cases.

One-third of India's population (roughly equivalent to the entire population of the United States) lives below the poverty line and India is home to one-third of the world's poor people. Whatever be the advancements in technology sector, these people will have no impact of it.

According to the new World Bank's estimates on poverty based on 2005 data, India has 456 million people, 41.6% of its population, living below the new international poverty line of $1.25 (PPP) per day. The World Bank further estimates that 33% of the global poor now reside in India. Moreover, India also has 828 million people, or 75.6% of the population living below $2 a day, compared to 72.2% for Sub-Saharan Africa.

Wealth distribution in India is fairly uneven, with the top 10% of income groups earning 33% of the income. Despite significant economic progress, 1/4 of the nation's population earns less than the government-specified poverty threshold of $0.40/day.

Do you think these people will ever buy a computer? :bah:
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I got PM for some appraisals but I will write a common thing that applies to all Indian IDN's. [I believe it applies, If someone else thinks it doesn't then its all okay.]

Do not buy any Indian IDN's

China has Chinese Operating systems.
Does India has Hindi Operating systems, Gujarati Operating systems?

I firmly believe there will be no value at all. Just see the mentality of Indian companies over here. They will register a long long long domain .org even if you offer them to sell your short and to the point .com for just 20 USD. They will still go for the $8 USD option.

Most of the companies/businesses here do not even have a computer tech department.

.in and .co.in are struggling it might take some years before they are established very well.

1 simple thing is an Indian who knows English earns enough to have a PC and Internet. Those who do not know English also earns but then they are in quite different business and as far as I am seeing they will not be using any PC's at all. To even read the instructions on the PC like "Click here" they need to know basic English and if they know Basic English then they can type in .coms

If you are considering people who really don't know English to surf the web. Then it is the most unrealistic dream you are looking at. The person who doesn't knows English doesn't even knows what is a computer. So forget him.

If you are predicting there will be a PC in every home by the end of 2015 then also you are dreaming as there aren't even TV's in every home right now. So they will first buy their TV and then they might think about a PC.

As far as new generation is concerned. As I mentioned before they are ready for English. Those who attend schools are taught Computers in English. Those who don't attend schools, don't count them as your target audience as they will not be visiting the internet.

Okay I am an Indian and I am online from last 5 years everyday for atleast 14 hours per day. Did I myself ever typed a IDN? - NO

I might have visited more then 100,000 different websites but I still haven't visited one IDN till today. I am a domainer too and I have the knowledge of IDN and all this firefox support yet I am not using IDN's. So expecting a kid or two who don't know English to go to cyber cafe or get their Own PC and fireup their firefox and visit your IDN's is atleast 100 years from now.

If you wanna invest then invest in it but don't just buy in loads of IDN's because you can ask to big domainers what renewal fees means. Renewal fees can break a back financially when the domains are not earning.

[This is just my opinion]
 
0
•••
क्रय.com Purchase, buy [never heard of it]
विचार.net Idea ? - thought

A few typos too. Get these confirmed by a localite
 
Last edited by a moderator:
0
•••
Well after working with folks from India for the last 10 years, I somewhat agree with most of your points. Most of Indians speak English with us (Americans) but between themselves talk in their native tongues as much as possible.

I have asked many, more than 20 --their opinions of IDNs and most give the same standard answers as you do, with similar points to back them up. There are a few however who think IDNs will do well and because India has become one of the leading IT countries in the world, they see the changes as happening very quickly. Right now I would have to go with the majority.

There may also be other reasons for delay.

Because India is such a diverse country, with so many poor and undereducated, perhaps there are several class systems going on at once there. Those that can read and speak English have a clear advantage over those who don't.

It brings me to the idea that the internet may be a great equalizer in India.

What would happen if the internet was completely available in Hindi -- with no english knowledge required at all? Perhaps the advantage of those who speak Hindi and English would be lessened. And the Hindi only speaking people would have more of chance with education and growth.

Well it is here -- and basically one can probably without much trouble get a computer that is set up for the Hindi speaking only crowd. All navigation
enter keys, home, search, sitemaps, all are in Hindi. It's on many blogs I see already in Hindi, and some of the other Indian languages as well.

On point number 6, I have no experience typing in any Indian language so I can't say. If it takes 21 keystrokes to type in a domain, that is pretty long. However, as you are aware, it only has to be done once and bookmarked. Also, most browsers have good memories so I don't see it as much of a problem.

A big advantage I see with IDNs is that users who don't speak english will recognize words in their own language and choose accordingly. This is one hell of a reason IDNs will work and are working now.

I have actually come to believe that many of guys I have worked with from India will be shocked to wake up one morning and find hundreds of thousands of Hindi-only speaking people alive and well on the internet.
 
0
•••
Ok, there are so many misconceptions in this thread i dont know where to begin. That said, there are also some excellent points been made by .tv and -Nick-.

We had a similar conversation a year or so back, sashas and I gave our opinions. The ground reality hasn't changed much. IDNs might be worth something in a few years or maybe not, only get in with a huge appetite for risk.

If you must get Indian IDNs, stick to Hindi, unless you're familiar with the South Indian Languages like Tamil, Telugu and maybe even Bengali. On the whole, don't bet the farm on it and be prepared to wait 10 yrs or more to even get any ROI, let alone a great one.
 
0
•••
India and IDNs are not about home computers and TV's.

For India its going to be all about the phones that connect to the internet and will be not only dirt cheap, but commonplace (but maybe only affordable to a certain percentage of the population). The majority of users will be people that don't speak English and the internet will be mainly in Indian languages from those devices. In a country with 500,000,000 million people that speak Hindi more than English you got some awesome potential. :$:

Companies and businesses should certainly want to own keywords in the various languages of their customers if they learned anything about the .com and .in uptake and current prices for domains. IDN should be even more attractive since close to 100% of people seeing their ad, billboard etc. will know what it means.

Just my 2c, but based on what is happening with traffic and use of IDNs in Russian language already, I think this will happen across all languges eventually. India may indeed be a 5 -10 year hold, but massive IDN publicity is heading that way in 2009 and 2010. (google ICANN 2009 budget). Believe it or not...there are Hindi IDNs you can't touch for x,xxx and even low xx,xxx right now.

If you speak the language and want to make some quick domain flips with Hindi post em' up at the various idnforums for 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x reg fee and IMO there are waiting buyers. I would say you would get a LOT more but "those names" - the top Hindi IDN.com have been long ago registered and held since 2000' and 2001'
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Show me the money. I'd really be interested in seeing verified Hindi (or any Indian language) IDN sales that you know of. And that does not mean the 'so-called' sales that people seem to report when they buy / acquire IDNs for 'so-called' four figures. 5x might seem like a great ROI - if you can ever find a buyer, but 5x$8=$40 - not really earthshattering when the same $8 in a .com could get you upto $300 in a sale.

I've been developing for the Indian diaspora worldwide since 1998. Have also seen the .com boom and bust, am also prepared for the one thats about to hit the fan. I just can't see the value of idn's for the forseeable future. Even if there is a value way into the future will it be for idn.tld where tld is ascii/english or idn.idn, specially since one needs local keyboards to type in the local language.

The numbers seem to confound a lot of people, 500 million out of 1.1 billion sounds reasonable, but see -Nick-/.tv's post for a correct perspective on the actual market space. There is a middle class of around 250 million, i don't see the internet expanding beyond this for the time being. Agreed its only at 20% right now, but thinking the growth will be in regional/local languages is misplaced. There are only 2 Hindi sites in the top 100 visited out of India. None of other languages. Not a very encouraging future.
 
0
•••
All dreams :D all of them beating their own drums because they have already invested into Indian IDN's

They do not want to except that it is a dead investment.

Waiting 5 years will make .coms more popular in India. Maybe co.ins and .ins but How can you expect an Indian to type in the IDN. This is the most foolish Idea I have ever heard in my life. Sorry to shatter your dreams but you people need to wake up from this Indian IDN dreams.

Someone says it is 80% illiteracy that is going to make them millionaires. But dude do you know what illiteracy means in India? It means they cannot write any language :D they cannot even write their own name that is called illiteracy. So you people are dreaming that they will type in your IDN's in firefox surfing the internet from a PC.

I will not post any more posts in this thread because I cannot tell you where to invest or what to do. But Yes if you really have money just to throw away then please do some charity rather then investing in Indian IDN's.

Thanks.
 
0
•••
I agree with Nick. I have not been to India (hope to go one day) but my wife went their with her Indian friends to the festival in Mysore/ Varanasi.
It's a fascinating country and culture but the poverty there is unimaginable.
I think these western folks who invest in Hindi domains need to travel more.
I still will keep the guru.com in Hindi, but that's about it.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Phio said:
A big advantage I see with IDNs is that users who don't speak english will recognize words in their own language and choose accordingly. This is one hell of a reason IDNs will work and are working now.

I have actually come to believe that many of guys I have worked with from India will be shocked to wake up one morning and find hundreds of thousands of Hindi-only speaking people alive and well on the internet.

Interesting. You are in confusion.

Native speakers and people who write in Hindi are ENTIRELY different.

More than 70% native Hindi speakers are illiterates and they even do not know what a computer is. Moreover, the majority of this group live below the poverty line. These people DO NOT know how to write in Hindi! :td:

This fact is common for almost every language in India. Don't think all speakers have the ability to write even in their own language.

The people that you are referring will come under the second category. They are well educated, and use computers in their regular life. Again you are missing the fact. 99% of these people use ONLY English to surf the net.

Phio said:
I have actually come to believe that many of guys I have worked with from India will be shocked to wake up one morning and find hundreds of thousands of Hindi-only speaking people alive and well on the internet.

Oh I see, ask them to type a few sentences in Hindi. Most of them won't even reply because we don't use localized keyboards like Chinese and Japanese people.

Do not expect a person who knows ONLY a local language will use his/her language for browsing - The truth is that he does not even know what a computer is!

In India, if a person does not know English, he knows nothing about computer, period!
 
Last edited:
0
•••
mwzd said:
Show me the money. I'd really be interested in seeing verified Hindi (or any Indian language) IDN sales that you know of. And that does not mean the 'so-called' sales that people seem to report when they buy / acquire IDNs for 'so-called' four figures.

Only Hindi IDN Purchase reported in DNJournal was हिन्दी.com and I was the buyer @ $4000.
http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2007/domainsales03-20-07.htm

This purchase was more to hedge my bets. Will I ever recover the money, maybe not.
That said, I have under 50 Indian IDN.com's (Hindi & Tamil).
At present, it's still a speculative investement.
I am still looking for strong commercial keyword Hindi IDN's for mid to high $xx.
(If I can find any).

-Nick- said:
So you people are dreaming that they will type in your IDN's in firefox surfing the internet from a PC.
Thanks.
I agree, Indian IDN.com may not be a great investment for everyone.

People are searching in Hindi & Other languages.
Check the Google trends for the keywords like हिन्दी, shaadi, yatra. You would notice the increasing trend for हिन्दी.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=हिन्दी,+shaadi,+yatra&ctab=0&geo=IN&geor=all&date=all&sort=1

Have you noticed the Google Keyword Suggest in their regional sites.
http://www.google.co.in/intl/hi/
IMO, a developed IDN site will rank well in these search results and people will be indirectly typing Hindi keywords using Google Regional suggests.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Reading above, I admire the fact that you are ready for a long term investment. It could be really long one from what I understand. I just decided to drop my 30 or so Hindi (which were not good anyway) and picked up 20 Portugal's towns (all .coms). I think it will be a better investment short term. Of course, I would not drop top terms in Hindi but it seems that I am late here, besides I don't know the language.
 
0
•••
a2zofb2b said:
Only Hindi IDN Purchase reported in DNJournal was हिन्दी.com and I was the buyer @ $4000.
http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2007/domainsales03-20-07.htm
I remember this name from somewhere else too ;), its a very nice name (now that hindi idns render properly on my comp). And I really hope you can flip it and your others for much higher markups sometime soon.

a2zofb2b said:
I am still looking for strong commercial keyword Hindi IDN's for mid to high $xx.
(If I can find any).
मुफ़्त.com - free (free.com :D)
सही.com - right (legal / consultancy)
हां.com - yes (weddings)
If you're interested pm me.

a2zofb2b said:
People are searching in Hindi & Other languages.
What are the absolute numbers? Trends and stats can be deceiving if not analysed properly.
 
0
•••
Wow, good to see natural script content picking up in India.

हिन्दी के लिए लगभग 37,000,000 for hindi in hindi


Now regarding hindi IDNs I wonder which one of these makes more sense.

हिन्दी-समाचार.com

or

हिन्दीसमाचार.com
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

Scheduled posts now show a small calendar icon
When NamePros posts something for you on a schedule, you will now see a small calendar icon before its date. Move your mouse over the...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back