IT.COM

Rate the Indian Languages

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I find Indian IDNs to be more difficult than some other IDNs because of all the different languages. Chinese has simplified and traditional, but that isn't too hard. Most other countries only have one main language.

So, my question is, which of the Indian languages are worth registering in IDN? If some of you with more knowledge of the Indian IDN market want to rate the top languages and put them in order of best to worst, I am sure that it would help a lot of us.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some things to consider for the future:

Soon 'virtual keyboards' will become mainstream. I guessing within the next 5 years, these backlit keyboards will contain most, if not all languages in them.

Internet by satellite will be available to every surface on the earth with the possible exclusion of the artic and antarctica.

The tech sector in India has increased at least by 10 million per year during the last 5-10 years.

Desktop computers will become much cheaper than TVs.

Most peoples love the tradition of keeping and promoting their own languages.

•••
Phio said:
Some things to consider for the future:

Soon 'virtual keyboards' will become mainstream. I guessing within the next 5 years, these backlit keyboards will contain most, if not all languages in them.

Well,
This won't address the problem #6 specified in my previous post. Whatever be the format of the keyboard, the procedure remains same for typing a particular letter.

Phio said:
Internet by satellite will be available to every surface on the earth with the possible exclusion of the artic and antarctica.

The tech sector in India has increased at least by 10 million per year during the last 5-10 years.

Desktop computers will become much cheaper than TVs.

Again, these points are not applicable for the illiterates.

Of the estimated population of 205 million in the age group 6-14 years on March 1, 2002, nearly 82.5 per cent was enrolled in schools. However, drop out in 2002-03 at the primary level was 34.9 per cent and at the upper primary level, it was 52.8 per cent.

The number of illiterates today exceeds the population of the country of around 270 million at Independence. The largest segment of the world’s illiterates is in India.

Tech sector is growing everyday, because of global collaborations and widespread trading activities which are conducted ONLY in English.

Have you ever found a technical job (Computer Industry) in India which requires a Non-English language as a mandatory one? The situation is entirely different for even technical jobs in China or in Japan. The applicant should know Chinese or Japanese, which is the basic eligibility in most cases.

One-third of India's population (roughly equivalent to the entire population of the United States) lives below the poverty line and India is home to one-third of the world's poor people. Whatever be the advancements in technology sector, these people will have no impact of it.

According to the new World Bank's estimates on poverty based on 2005 data, India has 456 million people, 41.6% of its population, living below the new international poverty line of $1.25 (PPP) per day. The World Bank further estimates that 33% of the global poor now reside in India. Moreover, India also has 828 million people, or 75.6% of the population living below $2 a day, compared to 72.2% for Sub-Saharan Africa.

Wealth distribution in India is fairly uneven, with the top 10% of income groups earning 33% of the income. Despite significant economic progress, 1/4 of the nation's population earns less than the government-specified poverty threshold of $0.40/day.

Do you think these people will ever buy a computer? :bah:

Last edited:
•••
I got PM for some appraisals but I will write a common thing that applies to all Indian IDN's. [I believe it applies, If someone else thinks it doesn't then its all okay.]

Do not buy any Indian IDN's

China has Chinese Operating systems.
Does India has Hindi Operating systems, Gujarati Operating systems?

I firmly believe there will be no value at all. Just see the mentality of Indian companies over here. They will register a long long long domain .org even if you offer them to sell your short and to the point .com for just 20 USD. They will still go for the $8 USD option.

Most of the companies/businesses here do not even have a computer tech department.

.in and .co.in are struggling it might take some years before they are established very well.

1 simple thing is an Indian who knows English earns enough to have a PC and Internet. Those who do not know English also earns but then they are in quite different business and as far as I am seeing they will not be using any PC's at all. To even read the instructions on the PC like "Click here" they need to know basic English and if they know Basic English then they can type in .coms

If you are considering people who really don't know English to surf the web. Then it is the most unrealistic dream you are looking at. The person who doesn't knows English doesn't even knows what is a computer. So forget him.

If you are predicting there will be a PC in every home by the end of 2015 then also you are dreaming as there aren't even TV's in every home right now. So they will first buy their TV and then they might think about a PC.

As far as new generation is concerned. As I mentioned before they are ready for English. Those who attend schools are taught Computers in English. Those who don't attend schools, don't count them as your target audience as they will not be visiting the internet.

Okay I am an Indian and I am online from last 5 years everyday for atleast 14 hours per day. Did I myself ever typed a IDN? - NO

I might have visited more then 100,000 different websites but I still haven't visited one IDN till today. I am a domainer too and I have the knowledge of IDN and all this firefox support yet I am not using IDN's. So expecting a kid or two who don't know English to go to cyber cafe or get their Own PC and fireup their firefox and visit your IDN's is atleast 100 years from now.

If you wanna invest then invest in it but don't just buy in loads of IDN's because you can ask to big domainers what renewal fees means. Renewal fees can break a back financially when the domains are not earning.

[This is just my opinion]

•••
क्रय.com Purchase, buy [never heard of it]
विचार.net Idea ? - thought

A few typos too. Get these confirmed by a localite

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Well after working with folks from India for the last 10 years, I somewhat agree with most of your points. Most of Indians speak English with us (Americans) but between themselves talk in their native tongues as much as possible.

I have asked many, more than 20 --their opinions of IDNs and most give the same standard answers as you do, with similar points to back them up. There are a few however who think IDNs will do well and because India has become one of the leading IT countries in the world, they see the changes as happening very quickly. Right now I would have to go with the majority.

There may also be other reasons for delay.

Because India is such a diverse country, with so many poor and undereducated, perhaps there are several class systems going on at once there. Those that can read and speak English have a clear advantage over those who don't.

It brings me to the idea that the internet may be a great equalizer in India.

What would happen if the internet was completely available in Hindi -- with no english knowledge required at all? Perhaps the advantage of those who speak Hindi and English would be lessened. And the Hindi only speaking people would have more of chance with education and growth.

Well it is here -- and basically one can probably without much trouble get a computer that is set up for the Hindi speaking only crowd. All navigation
enter keys, home, search, sitemaps, all are in Hindi. It's on many blogs I see already in Hindi, and some of the other Indian languages as well.

On point number 6, I have no experience typing in any Indian language so I can't say. If it takes 21 keystrokes to type in a domain, that is pretty long. However, as you are aware, it only has to be done once and bookmarked. Also, most browsers have good memories so I don't see it as much of a problem.

A big advantage I see with IDNs is that users who don't speak english will recognize words in their own language and choose accordingly. This is one hell of a reason IDNs will work and are working now.

I have actually come to believe that many of guys I have worked with from India will be shocked to wake up one morning and find hundreds of thousands of Hindi-only speaking people alive and well on the internet.

•••
Ok, there are so many misconceptions in this thread i dont know where to begin. That said, there are also some excellent points been made by .tv and -Nick-.

We had a similar conversation a year or so back, sashas and I gave our opinions. The ground reality hasn't changed much. IDNs might be worth something in a few years or maybe not, only get in with a huge appetite for risk.

If you must get Indian IDNs, stick to Hindi, unless you're familiar with the South Indian Languages like Tamil, Telugu and maybe even Bengali. On the whole, don't bet the farm on it and be prepared to wait 10 yrs or more to even get any ROI, let alone a great one.

•••
India and IDNs are not about home computers and TV's.

For India its going to be all about the phones that connect to the internet and will be not only dirt cheap, but commonplace (but maybe only affordable to a certain percentage of the population). The majority of users will be people that don't speak English and the internet will be mainly in Indian languages from those devices. In a country with 500,000,000 million people that speak Hindi more than English you got some awesome potential. :$:

Companies and businesses should certainly want to own keywords in the various languages of their customers if they learned anything about the .com and .in uptake and current prices for domains. IDN should be even more attractive since close to 100% of people seeing their ad, billboard etc. will know what it means.

Just my 2c, but based on what is happening with traffic and use of IDNs in Russian language already, I think this will happen across all languges eventually. India may indeed be a 5 -10 year hold, but massive IDN publicity is heading that way in 2009 and 2010. (google ICANN 2009 budget). Believe it or not...there are Hindi IDNs you can't touch for x,xxx and even low xx,xxx right now.

If you speak the language and want to make some quick domain flips with Hindi post em' up at the various IDNF for 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x reg fee and IMO there are waiting buyers. I would say you would get a LOT more but "those names" - the top Hindi IDN.com have been long ago registered and held since 2000' and 2001'

Last edited:
•••
Show me the money. I'd really be interested in seeing verified Hindi (or any Indian language) IDN sales that you know of. And that does not mean the 'so-called' sales that people seem to report when they buy / acquire IDNs for 'so-called' four figures. 5x might seem like a great ROI - if you can ever find a buyer, but 5x$8=$40 - not really earthshattering when the same $8 in a .com could get you upto $300 in a sale.

I've been developing for the Indian diaspora worldwide since 1998. Have also seen the .com boom and bust, am also prepared for the one thats about to hit the fan. I just can't see the value of idn's for the forseeable future. Even if there is a value way into the future will it be for idn.tld where tld is ascii/english or idn.idn, specially since one needs local keyboards to type in the local language.

The numbers seem to confound a lot of people, 500 million out of 1.1 billion sounds reasonable, but see -Nick-/.tv's post for a correct perspective on the actual market space. There is a middle class of around 250 million, i don't see the internet expanding beyond this for the time being. Agreed its only at 20% right now, but thinking the growth will be in regional/local languages is misplaced. There are only 2 Hindi sites in the top 100 visited out of India. None of other languages. Not a very encouraging future.

•••
All dreams :D all of them beating their own drums because they have already invested into Indian IDN's

They do not want to except that it is a dead investment.

Waiting 5 years will make .coms more popular in India. Maybe co.ins and .ins but How can you expect an Indian to type in the IDN. This is the most foolish Idea I have ever heard in my life. Sorry to shatter your dreams but you people need to wake up from this Indian IDN dreams.

Someone says it is 80% illiteracy that is going to make them millionaires. But dude do you know what illiteracy means in India? It means they cannot write any language :D they cannot even write their own name that is called illiteracy. So you people are dreaming that they will type in your IDN's in firefox surfing the internet from a PC.

I will not post any more posts in this thread because I cannot tell you where to invest or what to do. But Yes if you really have money just to throw away then please do some charity rather then investing in Indian IDN's.

Thanks.

•••
I agree with Nick. I have not been to India (hope to go one day) but my wife went their with her Indian friends to the festival in Mysore/ Varanasi.
It's a fascinating country and culture but the poverty there is unimaginable.
I think these western folks who invest in Hindi domains need to travel more.
I still will keep the guru.com in Hindi, but that's about it.

Last edited:
•••
Phio said:
A big advantage I see with IDNs is that users who don't speak english will recognize words in their own language and choose accordingly. This is one hell of a reason IDNs will work and are working now.

I have actually come to believe that many of guys I have worked with from India will be shocked to wake up one morning and find hundreds of thousands of Hindi-only speaking people alive and well on the internet.

Interesting. You are in confusion.

Native speakers and people who write in Hindi are ENTIRELY different.

More than 70% native Hindi speakers are illiterates and they even do not know what a computer is. Moreover, the majority of this group live below the poverty line. These people DO NOT know how to write in Hindi! :td:

This fact is common for almost every language in India. Don't think all speakers have the ability to write even in their own language.

The people that you are referring will come under the second category. They are well educated, and use computers in their regular life. Again you are missing the fact. 99% of these people use ONLY English to surf the net.

Phio said:

Oh I see, ask them to type a few sentences in Hindi. Most of them won't even reply because we don't use localized keyboards like Chinese and Japanese people.

Do not expect a person who knows ONLY a local language will use his/her language for browsing - The truth is that he does not even know what a computer is!

In India, if a person does not know English, he knows nothing about computer, period!

Last edited:
•••
mwzd said:
Show me the money. I'd really be interested in seeing verified Hindi (or any Indian language) IDN sales that you know of. And that does not mean the 'so-called' sales that people seem to report when they buy / acquire IDNs for 'so-called' four figures.

Only Hindi IDN Purchase reported in DNJournal was हिन्दी.com and I was the buyer @ $4000.
http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2007/domainsales03-20-07.htm

This purchase was more to hedge my bets. Will I ever recover the money, maybe not.
That said, I have under 50 Indian IDN.com's (Hindi & Tamil).
At present, it's still a speculative investement.
I am still looking for strong commercial keyword Hindi IDN's for mid to high $xx.
(If I can find any).

-Nick- said:
So you people are dreaming that they will type in your IDN's in firefox surfing the internet from a PC.
Thanks.
I agree, Indian IDN.com may not be a great investment for everyone.

People are searching in Hindi & Other languages.
Check the Google trends for the keywords like हिन्दी, shaadi, yatra. You would notice the increasing trend for हिन्दी.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=हिन्दी,+shaadi,+yatra&ctab=0&geo=IN&geor=all&date=all&sort=1

Have you noticed the Google Keyword Suggest in their regional sites.
http://www.google.co.in/intl/hi/
IMO, a developed IDN site will rank well in these search results and people will be indirectly typing Hindi keywords using Google Regional suggests.

Last edited:
•••
Reading above, I admire the fact that you are ready for a long term investment. It could be really long one from what I understand. I just decided to drop my 30 or so Hindi (which were not good anyway) and picked up 20 Portugal's towns (all .coms). I think it will be a better investment short term. Of course, I would not drop top terms in Hindi but it seems that I am late here, besides I don't know the language.

•••
a2zofb2b said:
Only Hindi IDN Purchase reported in DNJournal was हिन्दी.com and I was the buyer @ $4000.
http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2007/domainsales03-20-07.htm
I remember this name from somewhere else too ;), its a very nice name (now that hindi idns render properly on my comp). And I really hope you can flip it and your others for much higher markups sometime soon.

a2zofb2b said:
I am still looking for strong commercial keyword Hindi IDN's for mid to high $xx.
(If I can find any).
मुफ़्त.com - free (free.com :D)
सही.com - right (legal / consultancy)
हां.com - yes (weddings)
If you're interested pm me.

a2zofb2b said:
People are searching in Hindi & Other languages.
What are the absolute numbers? Trends and stats can be deceiving if not analysed properly.

•••
Wow, good to see natural script content picking up in India.

हिन्दी के लिए लगभग 37,000,000 for hindi in hindi

Now regarding hindi IDNs I wonder which one of these makes more sense.

हिन्दी-समाचार.com

or

हिन्दीसमाचार.com

•••
mwzd said:
What are the absolute numbers? Trends and stats can be deceiving if not analysed properly.
Here are some average search volumes for this month based on adword keyword tools.
हिंदी 9900
दैनिक 6600
हिन्दी 1600
शायरी हिन्दी 1300
हिन्दी समाचार 1300
भविष्य 1300
समाचार 4400
भाषा 1300
भारत 3400

Granted, these numbers are low compared to the english equivalent, but the number has been increasing after google introduced the search suggestion in their hindi site.

Last edited:
•••
I have no doubt that sometime in the future Indian idn will make their presence felt but I do believe it will be some years after the Chinese,Arabic, Japanese ,Russian idn (no particular order) have established themselves.

Why :? - simply because english is the predominant language of the Indian internet and is well established in online usage.

•••
Some interesting estimates and facts regarding India.

Population:
1,147,995,904 (July 2008 est.)
Age structure:
0-14 years: 31.5% (male 189,238,487/female 172,168,306)
15-64 years: 63.3% (male 374,157,581/female 352,868,003)
65 years and over: 5.2% (male 28,285,796/female 31,277,725) (2008 est.)
Median age:
total: 25.1 years
male: 24.7 years
female: 25.5 years (2008 est.)

Languages:
Hindi 41%, Bengali 8.1%, Telugu 7.2%, Marathi 7%, Tamil 5.9%, Urdu 5%, Gujarati 4.5%, Kannada 3.7%, Malayalam 3.2%, Oriya 3.2%, Punjabi 2.8%, Assamese 1.3%, Maithili 1.2%, other 5.9%
note: English enjoys associate status but is the most important language for national, political, and commercial communication; Hindi is the national language and primary tongue of 41% of the people; there are 14 other official languages: Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Oriya, Punjabi, Assamese, Kashmiri, Sindhi, and Sanskrit; Hindustani is a popular variant of Hindi/Urdu spoken widely throughout northern India but is not an official language (2001 census)
Literacy:
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 61%
male: 73.4%
female: 47.8% (2001 census)

Telephones - mobile cellular:
296.08 million (2008)

general assessment: recent deregulation and liberalization of telecommunications laws and policies have prompted rapid growth; local and long distance service provided throughout all regions of the country, with services primarily concentrated in the urban areas; steady improvement is taking place with the recent admission of private and private-public investors, but combined fixed and mobile telephone density remains low at about 30 for each 100 persons nationwide and much lower for persons in rural areas; rapid growth in cellular service with modest declines in fixed lines

Internet hosts:
2.306 million (2007)
Internet Service Providers (ISPs):
43 (2000)
Internet users:
80 million (2007)

Economy - overview:
India's diverse economy encompasses traditional village farming, modern agriculture, handicrafts, a wide range of modern industries, and a multitude of services. Services are the major source of economic growth, accounting for more than half of India's output with less than one third of its labor force. About three-fifths of the work force is in agriculture, leading the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government to articulate an economic reform program that includes developing basic infrastructure to improve the lives of the rural poor and boost economic performance. The government has reduced controls on foreign trade and investment. Higher limits on foreign direct investment were permitted in a few key sectors, such as telecommunications. However, tariff spikes in sensitive categories, including agriculture, and incremental progress on economic reforms still hinder foreign access to India's vast and growing market. Privatization of government-owned industries remains stalled and continues to generate political debate; populist pressure from within the UPA government and from its Left Front allies continues to restrain needed initiatives. The economy has posted an average growth rate of more than 7% in the decade since 1997, reducing poverty by about 10 percentage points. India achieved 8.5% GDP growth in 2006, and again in 2007, significantly expanding production of manufactures. India is capitalizing on its large numbers of well-educated people skilled in the English language to become a major exporter of software services and software workers. Economic expansion has helped New Delhi continue to make progress in reducing its federal fiscal deficit. However, strong growth combined with easy consumer credit and a real estate boom fueled inflation concerns in 2006 and 2007, leading to a series of central bank interest rate hikes that have slowed credit growth and eased inflation concerns. The huge and growing population is the fundamental social, economic, and environmental problem.

source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/print/in.html

•••
Just to make a point, IDNs may well be used in the near future.
consider 40% of people in india are below poverty line and illiterate( fairly accurate, check it out) but its not necessary that those who are illiterate are poor or vice versa, but still lets take 40% as the benchmark.
Considering the increase in the no. of government schools offering free education, i think in about 2 generations from now, the illiteracy rate is going to drastically drop, but can't say about poverty.
Back to numbers, suppose 40% are illiterate, consider India's population to be 1.1 billion (its actually about 1.128 billion as of 2008)
60% of that is 0.66 billion, or 6600 million!
By sheer numbers, that too is quite huge!
OK, i believe all literate people will know to write in hindi ATLEAST?
out of the 660 million, about only 100 to 350 million speak english.
Now, its only a matter of time, before companies such as microsoft start making cheap OSes for regional languages, i know for a fact such a version along with a cheap computer was introduced in some asian countries such as indonesia. With a rise in such numbers it is bound to rake in atleast some of the people still now knowing english to start using computers!
Consider some companies, who may realise in some time, the amount of people they are losing due to their site being only in english.
Eventually, they WILL introduce hindi sites to encourage more people to use their services.
You may argue that they may use their existing domain for sites in hindi, but as they are only redirecting traffic from their own site, they may, for aesthetic purposes buy a hindi domain.
I dont think many such companies now realise that IDN domains are available.
As soon as someone jumps on the bandwagon, it is bound to take off.
I would give it 5 years, not more :D

•••
If any of you want to buy Indian IDNs, PM me. No $XXX offers please.

•••
Hindi is the national language of India and so you will have a much larger reach. But most of the people using computers in India have English as the default language. The people of India are not alienated from English as such.

I would say do not venture into India specific IDN's. I do not think its worth it.

•••
Sleepys said:
Any other opinions?
Hindi is the most widely used language in our country. Other "popular" languages that are being used on internet (or are wanted to be there on internet) are:

> Punjabi
> Gujrati
>Tamil
> Bengali

These cover all the four regions North India, West India, South India and East India respectively.:)
bill786 said:
क्रय.com Purchase, buy [never heard of it]
विचार.net Idea ? - thought

A few typos too. Get these confirmed by a localite

क्रय means price that is needed to be paid for a particular item, and विक्रय means what you spend to purchase that item. :hehe:

Your names are very good though because many Indians are using internet for
क्रय-विक्रय these days..;) (for spending-buying)

I know Hindi,Punjabi, Gujrati and Urdu. If anyone needed any help regarding the translation ever, you are always welcome guys! I feel so proud that my country is making progress over internet too! :hearts:

•••
Follow the money

I would like look at who is going to be spending the money online...Folks in India who are driving the current economic growth are the youth and are college educated and work in English....

Granted there is money to be made catering to rural folks and there is a native language attraction...but I agree its a stretch..

The bigger pie is in the cities...

•••
Keyboard problem is solved, when Indians start using mobile phones, which have touch screen. With touch screen you can write Indian easily.

Does anyone know when IDN.in domains can be bought?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back