IT.COM

status-resolved Question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

promo

MemberRestricted (85-100%)
Impact
Impersonation is not allowed on NamePros, and we actively combat it. We have an entire spreadsheet of cases where we've stopped it.

Please don't spread lies like you've just done. Your assumptions about how we operate are often wrong and I'm constantly correcting you. Please post more responsibly.

Ohh so I am a liar now am I?

Let me ask you, are you a liar or do you just suffer from bad memory?

Because according to my memory a few people, myself included, brought this persons shenanigans to YOUR attention in September of last year.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/billionaire-paypals-500-good-or-bad.1040320/

Now what did you chose to do? Ask the person why they were impersonating someone that they were clearly not? Or did you delete all the hard questions from the thread and close it so no-one could get any answers? If my lying memory serves me right, you chose to close the thread and let the person prepare his scam instead of acting on our warnings.

So please ACT more responsibly in future. Maybe fever people would get scammed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe instead of deleting those posts, do what we did in another forum, move them to a section where only admin/mods can see. Even banned or restricted members had access to that forum and can give their side to the story.
We need them in the thread where they're deleted in case we need to reference them, just like we did here. We wouldn't be able to easily find them with only that thread link if we moved them elsewhere. It'd take us hours if we had to piece it back together in order with the other posts in the thread to get the full context of what was going on. We also don't have time to review each deleted post as its own report and it wouldn't be a good use of time because 99% of them have nothing in them that we need to review, this rare circumstance is a minority.

It would be a good idea for us to have a way for members to respond to customer support regarding a deleted post of theirs. That's been suggested before but it's something our forum software would have to add. We're hopeful they will improve the moderation-to-user communication system in the future.

I didn't delete it and pretend I didn't see it.
It's not about anyone pretending they didn't see something. They're focused on the task at hand, which is deleting off-topic posts. If they happen to notice something else and it occurs to them, then they'll take care of that too, but it'll be very unlikely because we're dealing with so many reports that we're only solving the reported issue and moving on to the next. There isn't enough time in the day to scrutinize every post we see for every possible violation.

It's also not easy to remember every rule/ToS/policy at the time of reading every post we see. There are hundreds of things we'd have to look for / recognize in every post. We try, but we're not robots. ;)

Hope that helps explain more,

•••
@Eric Lyon

What I am very tired off is that you post in public that I am a liar when I am clearly not. I post a link for you to see and you instantly delete that comment but leave yours where you call my a liar.

You are wrong, it was posted in thread. It was deleted and I am not a liar. Be a man and walk your comments back please.

•••
I post a link for you to see and you instantly delete that comment but leave yours where you call my a liar.
I didn't delete your post. It's right here: https://www.namepros.com/posts/6556473/

I moved it to the appropriate feedback forum to start this thread. If I hadn't moved it, then there would be 27 posts (The posts in this thread) in that thread that would have all been off-topic and would need to be deleted. Rather than having to delete all of those posts and derail that thread, it was made into its own support thread (This one) for us to discuss.

As I mentioned, what you wrote was a lie. I never called you a liar, but you most certainly lied in the post that I quoted. I went into more detail here:
If that's not a lie, then please feel free to reply here and explain how it's not a lie. Please keep in mind that just because we missed one issue that was never reported to us in a proper support channel doesn't mean we allow the practice. In fact, we have tons of evidence proving that we don't allow it. You said we do allow it, which was a lie.

Hope that helps,

•••
I didn't delete your post. It's right here: https://www.namepros.com/posts/6556473/

I moved it to the appropriate feedback forum to start this thread. If I hadn't moved it, then there would be 27 posts (The posts in this thread) in that thread that would have all been off-topic and would need to be deleted. Rather than having to delete all of those posts and derail that thread, it was made into its own support thread (This one) for us to discuss.

As I mentioned, what you wrote was a lie. I never called you a liar, but you most certainly lied in the post that I quoted. I went into more detail here:
If that's not a lie, then please feel free to reply here and explain how it's not a lie. Please keep in mind that just because we missed one issue that was never reported to us in a proper support channel doesn't mean we allow the practice. In fact, we have tons of evidence proving that we don't allow it. You said we do allow it, which was a lie.

Hope that helps,

It does not help at all. I did not lie. Multiple people clearly posted this was another person. Those post were deleted. You say it does not matter because it was not reported to you through proper channels. But I say that I dont think its much of a defence to claim that you do not read what you delete.

You call me a liar all you want. I know better.

EDIT
Also I find it in poor taste that you leave your comment in thread calling me a liar but move/bury my reply.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@Eric Lyon

What about something like this, which I don't understand:

"The thread is closed / Member does not own the domain / Infraction has been issued and the member has been restricted from the marketplace."

https://www.namepros.com/threads/deal-com-70-000.1063692/

Restricted. Does that restriction wear off after some time? This is somebody that tried to sell a name they didn't own. That's fraud. Why mess around with restrictions and infractions, why not just hit the ban button/close account? Permanently. Or is restricted already that?

Last edited:
•••
Restricted. Does that restriction wear off after some time?
Whether a restriction is temporary or permanent depends on the infraction. If anything was stolen, then their accounts are kept restricted until that is made right (E.g. money returned). It does not expire.

If it's something like multiple failures to sell a domain at the agreed upon price (nothing was stolen), then the member can request an account review after a period of time and if we see they haven't done anything else wrong and that they've learned from the experience, we unrestrict them in hopes that they won't back out of a deal again (Second chance).

The restrictions can include as much restriction as banning, but it gives us more control over what they can and can't do. If we ban, they can't access anything (They can't talk to mods either) and can't report back that they returned the money (As an example). With restrictions, we can restrict members from receiving DM's, from sending DM's, from viewing posts, from responding to posts, from creating threads in specific sections, and/or all other things. In more serious situations, it's a form of granular banning.

EDIT
Also I find it in poor taste that you leave your comment in thread calling me a liar but move/bury my reply.
I've removed the part from my post where I explain that what you wrote was a lie.

Hope that helps,

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back