IT.COM

Question for programmers: Arranging desktop icons .

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've a particular problem: I like order and perfection in anything I do.
I've about 70 icons on my desktop: some programs'icons, some folders and some txt files all placed on 7 lines and each line have from 6 to 11 icons.
I follow a personal scheme and each icon has a particular position; for example, starting from the top left corner, we've: Internet Explorer - Netscape - Opera - Mozilla Firebird etc ...

Well, every time I format my hard drive, I need to reorder them manually again ... nothing strange, you'd say.
Yes but I place each icon on a particular distance from the others basing on my personal taste.

Now: is there a software that can store and remember this scheme and, supposing it may find all the same icons on the desktop after having formatted the h.drive, is able to rebuild that original scheme ?

Not sure I explained clearly the concept but, if you think to have a free suggestion for me and you need more details, don't hesitate to ask, thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Re: Question for programmers: arranging desktop icons ...

Originally posted by DomainEmpire.com
I've a particular problem: I like order and perfection in anything I do.
I've about 70 icons on my desktop: some programs'icons, some folders and some txt files all placed on 7 lines and each line have from 6 to 11 icons.
I follow a personal scheme and each icon has a particular position; for example, starting from the top left corner, we've: Internet Explorer - Netscape - Opera - Mozilla Firebird etc ...

Well, every time I format my hard drive, I need to reorder them manually again ... nothing strange, you'd say.
Yes but I place each icon on a particular distance from the others basing on my personal taste.

Now: is there a software that can store and remember this scheme and, supposing it may find all the same icons on the desktop after having formatted the h.drive, is able to rebuild that original scheme ?

Not sure I explained clearly the concept but, if you think to have a free suggestion for me and you need more details, don't hesitate to ask, thanks.

Hi,

Here is what you do. After you arrange everything just the way you like it and have all the programs that you want installed.

Get a copy of Norton Ghost and ghost your hard drive. Put it on a cd and now after you format your drive just use the Norton Ghost utility to copy the cd back to your hard drive and it will be the same everytime.

Good luck!

•••
Uhm interesting solution that I think to test immediately, thanks.

•••
Do you reformat that often?

•••
lol i dont actually only once in a while but i do have a strange desktop setup

•••
Not very often, once every 2/3 months, when things begin not working properly :)

Now I've a second external hdrive too so I'm planning to keep all my data there permanently saving a lot of extra work.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back