IT.COM

status-resolved Profanity filter?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Want2learn

Top Member
Impact
I am curious about something. Does NamePros basically say no profanity to simply eliminate that downhill spiral? I think one time I wrote hell and it wasn't filtered, so I take that to mean it is okay.

I am a moderator on an unrelated sports forum. Anyways the way our board is set up is that posters/members opt in or opt out to seeing profanity. It edits like it does here, by default. But a poster can opt out and then be able to see profanity. Would Namepros consider something like that?

Thats all!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hell doesn't sound so bad.
I am sure there is worse.

•••
Who the *&^#$# wants to see profanity? : wink :

•••
Avoiding excessive and unnecessary profanity on a professional website such as NamePros is highly recommended. Since this is a business community, we’ve found that keeping profanity to a minimum really encourages a professional environment and helps members feel more comfortable when conducting business deals.

If the use of profanity is not excessive, explicit, or crude, then we likely won't intervene. If it crosses the line, then the content may be moved to the Adult area or deleted entirely. An example of when we would not allow any form of profanity is when it is in a sentence that is directed at someone in a forceful or aggressive way. Many uses of profanity are considered unnecessary, disrespectful or antagonistic.

Hope that helps,

•••
Profanity filters have a few issues:
  1. Sometimes domains contain profanity. We allow these domains to be sold on NamePros, though they often need to go in the Adult section.
  2. They assume users are too stupid to evade them. We like to think you're not stupid.
  3. Once people start evading them, we have to invest a lot of time improving them--which is a waste, because they're just going to be evaded again.
  4. We expect you to act professionally here. Yes, there are ares of the forums that have traditionally been laid-back, but when conducting business, act like you're conducting business.
  5. If you go around cussing people out, you're probably going to get banned eventually anyway, whether or not the foul bits are filtered.
Does NamePros basically say no profanity to simply eliminate that downhill spiral?

That's a pretty good way of putting it. More often than not, our rules reflect the expectations of our community, and they evolve as our community evolves. Everyone is expected to show self-control and the ability to step away when matters get too heated.

Anyways the way our board is set up is that posters/members opt in or opt out to seeing profanity.

We have something similar for our adult marketplace. It's based on age: if you're at least 18 years old, you'll be able to see the adult section. Of course, just because you can see the adult section doesn't mean you have to click it. We generally try to keep adult content confined to that area in such a way that people aren't likely to accidentally stumble upon it.

•••
Thank you for all the responses.

•••
Personally, I don't believe using profanity is professional.

If there is a legit reason (domain name for example, it belongs in the adult section

•••
I think one time I wrote hell and it wasn't filtered, so I take that to mean it is okay.

In Canada we say H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS :xf.laugh:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back