Dynadot

discuss Problems I am facing - December'21

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I am starting a new series where each month, either I will be solving all the problems that newbies are facing, or asking one of the experts here who could solve their problem if I am not the right person to solve it. I know domaining can be hard at times and you have to really scramble to make things work!

Here is how I propose we go about it:

1) What problem you have been facing?
2) What did you do about it and what results did you get?

3) Where are you stuck so that we can try to help?

The objective is, when writing the response to the 2nd question, you would be forced to think if you actually tried solving it yourself. It is kind of an introspection for you and a learning for the community.

Happy Domaining! Let's solve the problems together and co-learn!

Shoot your problems!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am a newbie, started domaining 6 months ago... I back-ordered my first domain .com on Dropcatch and I was the only one who back ordered so I got the domain at $60 (I should have tried to hand reg :xf.grin:)

I listed it at Dan and within 30 days, I sold it at $250 - this was my first sale in domaining.

I didn't know much about domaining so I registered owned 30 domains.. my domain portfolio was .com, .pro, .in, .co.uk, .io etc..

I mostly get domains from auctions and each cost me less than $15.. my highest investment on auction was only for two domains, one was one with .io I bought this for $100 and later sold it for $450

The other domain I bought via auction was a .com for $400 (I think I overpaid for this domain) haven't sold yet and I am not sure if I can even manage to get at least get the cost I invested.

In total, I invested almost $1000 (this is a lot of money for me) in my portfolio and I got my money back with small profit by selling a few domains and I still have 12 domains and I have no hope with them and the renewal cost for them is $25+ so... I gonna drop if they wont sell :zippermouth:

1) I don't know how to pick domains and what they are worth I am playing with my luck for now.

2) Still figuring it out....:notworthy:

3) I am not the kind of guy who can hold domains for years.. I would wait a few months and if nothing happens I auction it.. is this a good strategy? I need some help with how do you decide a price for a domain and how much should you invest during auctions if you are interested in any domain and how to get nice profits?

Last edited:
•••
1) I don't know how to pick domains and what they are worth I am playing with my luck for now.

3) I am not the kind of guy who can hold domains for years.. I would wait a few months and if nothing happens I auction it.. is this a good strategy? I need some help with how do you decide a price for a domain and how much should you invest during auctions if you are interested in any domain and how to get nice profits?
The good part is you know what you don't know. Here are my thoughts:

For 1 and 2, try to read as much as possible. Maybe understand what category of names exist, what you are getting a feel from, what are you understanding and developing an interest in. There are different domaining strategies:

Trend domains - Short-lived
Geo domains - Need outbound
Brandable names - Need to have a feel and volume
Liquid names - 4L, one-word names
Keyword domains

Maybe some others too. Try to understand and see what you would be able to sell and how

As for your strategy, here is one way to do it:

1) Know what you want from domaining - Immediately and 5 years from now
2) Try to see what can get your there
3) Try different segments, follow the champions from each segment - the variables could be extension, types of domains, platforms you are selling, pricing, personal expense etc
4) Know that this is a long term business which takes time
5) See what can help you sustain in the long term - If you have continuous small sales, that might help you hold good domains to realize the value they come up with

Have a game plan for 5 years and 1 year in place, investment, potential sale (if 1% sell at half the price you are expecting etc).
Maybe that helps! Let me know if you try this out.
Again, this is just one method and there could be 10 others like this. It's always what works for you!

•••
Thank you for your valuable suggestions and I will learn more about domaining and will improve my understanding and interest.

I have one strategy in mind, I will learn more and work on it.

Thank you bruh.

•••
I am a newbie, started domaining 6 months ago... I back-ordered my first domain .com on Dropcatch and I was the only one who back ordered so I got the domain at $60 (I should have tried to hand reg :xf.grin:)

I listed it at Dan and within 30 days, I sold it at $250 - this was my first sale in domaining.

I didn't know much about domaining so I registered owned 30 domains.. my domain portfolio was .com, .pro, .in, .co.uk, .io etc..

I mostly get domains from auctions and each cost me less than $15.. my highest investment on auction was only for two domains, one was one with .io I bought this for $100 and later sold it for $450

The other domain I bought via auction was a .com for $400 (I think I overpaid for this domain) haven't sold yet and I am not sure if I can even manage to get at least get the cost I invested.

In total, I invested almost $1000 (this is a lot of money for me) in my portfolio and I got my money back with small profit by selling a few domains and I still have 12 domains and I have no hope with them and the renewal cost for them is $25+ so... I gonna drop if they wont sell :zippermouth:

Number 3 is problematic because most domains take years to sell. With impatience you are almost canceling out potential for end user sales and your profit potential.

Who you are selling to under these circumstances is other domainers (most of the time) and you would be referred to as a flipper. Many flippers here can shed more light.

This flipping game only works well if you know how to pick good names, pick them up cheap as possible and sell low. Even then, there will be years where you will just break even or not have profit.

This method probably works better with alot of names because average holder only sells 0 to 5% max of portfolio a year.

•••
The OP is my problem this month........

You commenting, pricing and leaving negative comments about other peoples domains......

I have posted in the relevant thread and here as I think it shows a lack of professionalism and consideration to other people

You keep doing it......Stop bloody posting about other people's domains

Thread is below.......

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...s-domain-and-why-week-3.1260729/#post-8474135
I really wish we had emoji reactions 🤦

•••
Number 3 is problematic because most domains take years to sell. With impatience you are almost canceling out potential for end user sales and your profit potential.

Who you are selling to under these circumstances is other domainers (most of the time) and you would be referred to as a flipper. Many flippers here can shed more light.

This flipping game only works well if you know how to pick good names, pick them up cheap as possible and sell low. Even then, there will be years where you will just break even or not have profit.

This method probably works better with alot of names because average holder only sells 0 to 5% max of portfolio a year.
hmm, you are right though... whatever I did the past six months is exactly flipping... Finding a good domain and holding is pretty hard these days and I always think what's gonna be the domaining future? There are so many extensions and less usage nothing like .com....

The technology improvements are moving fast (my English is not good plz bear with it :xf.laugh:) and what happens the day when they come up with the new system without any domains and the domain extensions like .com and others are useless? Will that happen one day?

For example, we now access all the big platforms via apps from our phone and hardly type in a browser.... the PC market is slowing down? and the mobile market is moving fast?

So I always doubt what if one day all these domain extensions become useless when they come up with a new network-type thing?

this is going off-topic lol :ROFL:

Anyway, I think flipping suits me well because it's hard for me to stick for years holding...... I'll learn more and try to build a strategy accordingly...

Thank you for your reply bruh :xf.smile:

•••
Stop posting all the B.S. to waste other people time and lure all the newbies into the no man land.
Try to spend the time for yourself and sell some names (you have ZERO feedback and keep acting like you are an expert here).
That's the least you can do for the New Year.

•••
The Hostile Domainer strikes again!
I don't want to name any names, but someone here really needs to lighten up.

•••
I am newbie too. But I have no budged or very small budget. I just build an script that generate domain names(AI powered) and more. Please check my tools

namelooka.com

Thanks.

•••
The Hostile Domainer strikes again!
I don't want to name any names, but someone here really needs to lighten up.
Why are people not posting on forum? Why are people posting a detailed new thread rather than searching the answer? Well all a lot slower on here now days my old friends are watching the politics and thinking let them work it out. On bright side posts are better from abstract but still called out as all posts thread starters.
Problems i am facing is cool people that were regulars aren't here.

Last edited:
•••
hmm, you are right though... whatever I did the past six months is exactly flipping... Finding a good domain and holding is pretty hard these days and I always think what's gonna be the domaining future? There are so many extensions and less usage nothing like .com....

The technology improvements are moving fast (my English is not good plz bear with it :xf.laugh:) and what happens the day when they come up with the new system without any domains and the domain extensions like .com and others are useless? Will that happen one day?

For example, we now access all the big platforms via apps from our phone and hardly type in a browser.... the PC market is slowing down? and the mobile market is moving fast?

So I always doubt what if one day all these domain extensions become useless when they come up with a new network-type thing?

this is going off-topic lol :ROFL:

Anyway, I think flipping suits me well because it's hard for me to stick for years holding...... I'll learn more and try to build a strategy accordingly...

Thank you for your reply bruh :xf.smile:
I think that's a personal opinion and the fact that you shared it is what matters! Undoubtedly anything can happen! You should only bet on things long term, on which you have confidence. Crypto is another industry which is divided on the long term value.
And it's alright! I personally think the domains would grow in value as we go forward especially one word .COM names.

•••
Stop posting all the B.S. to waste other people time and lure all the newbies into the no man land.
Try to spend the time for yourself and sell some names (you have ZERO feedback and keep acting like you are an expert here).
That's the least you can do for the New Year.
Ignoring the negativity, yet again! My apologies if I am not responding to your messages.
Will respond to all constructive feedbacks, debates, suggestions, advice, and any other experience that you share..

I am newbie too. But I have no budged or very small budget. I just build an script that generate domain names(AI powered) and more. Please check my tools

namelooka.com

Thanks.
Sure will check it out but a lot of tools these days, offering AI powered domain name generation. How good those names are, is the question.

•••
I started my domaining a year ago. I invested around US$ 6000 in various extensions based on trends and dictionary keywords. However, until now, I have not been able to benefit from it. When I started my domaining, I invested more money in .irish domain names thinking that this will have a great future as the Irish economy and dotcom industry is growing rapidly during Post-Brexit. I have very trendy keyword domains such as dog.irish, freelancer.irish, cryptocurrency.irish, cow.irish, jet.irish, gym.irish, health.irish, and many more. I also started an exclusive domain aftermarket platform DNS.irish for Irish domains. However, unfortunately I could not sell a single name even though all domains generate high traffic across different aftermarket platforms like Dan, Sedo, Afternic, etc. I was wondering why there are no .irish domain takers, even though it was launched several years ago. If this post does not match this discussion, please take the liberty to remove it.

Last edited:
•••
I invested more money in .irish domain names thinking that this will have a great future as the Irish economy and dotcom industry is growing rapidly during Post-Brexit.
"...and dotcom industry is growing rapidly during Post-Brexit"

Just because trendy keywords are available in a particular extension other than .com doesn't automatically mean they will be highly sought-after or even sell at all. Speculation can pay off sometimes, but--more often than not--there is little to no reward to match the associated risk. There could also be a hold time factor at play. If you truly believe you have valuable domains, it may take more time for interested buyers to appear.

Finally, It would probably be best to research sales in said extensions before spending, as that metric might be a better indicator of potential demand.

Good luck!

•••
I started my domaining a year ago. I invested around US$ 6000 in various extensions based on trends and dictionary keywords. However, until now, I have not been able to benefit from it. When I started my domaining, I invested more money in .irish domain names thinking that this will have a great future as the Irish economy and dotcom industry is growing rapidly during Post-Brexit. I have very trendy keyword domains such as dog.irish, freelancer.irish, cryptocurrency.irish, cow.irish, jet.irish, gym.irish, health.irish, and many more. I also started an exclusive domain aftermarket platform DNS.irish for Irish domains. However, unfortunately I could not sell a single name even though all domains generate high traffic across different aftermarket platforms like Dan, Sedo, Afternic, etc. I was wondering why there are no .irish domain takers, even though it was launched several years ago. If this post does not match this discussion, please take the liberty to remove it.
3 months back I guess I registered Game & Games.irish once they were dropped and was very excited that I got these two domains.. after a few hours I researched namebio to see past sales with irish but NameBio didn't have irish extension and then I asked on reddit if irish domain are worth it or not and mostly said to drop them right away, then I immediately got back to Dynadot and asked for a refund for those domains.. I am glad Dynadot has this feature (grace period) something and I got my money back.

Also, I don't hold domains for years so the best I thought to get my money back and move on.

•••
Your points are very valid. Thank you so much!

But, I still expect the Irish domains to gain value soon because the market for ccTLD .IE is nearly saturated and it's more expensive than the. Irish names. In addition, .ie can only be registered by natives in Ireland. However, as the Irish domain name is a top-level domain that can be registered and used by entrepreneurs throughout the world. Statistics show that there is a large Irish population worldwide. So, the Irish TLD is ideal for entrepreneurs looking to start their online business with an emphasis on Ireland and the global Irish community.

I also did a quick market study on the Irish dotcom industry and various industry reports show that Irish electronic commerce is in its early phase. But the Irish economy is the fastest growing economy currently in Europe and almost all multinational corporations invest heavily in the Irish economy, particularly in the FINTECH segment.

I also made a brief research before registering domains and it can be read at dns.rish, if you wish. The special feature of any Irish domain is that you can quickly understand the business idea behind every name in their slogan itself. The tagline of each domain name may be read from right to left. (E.g. The tagline of the domain name health.irish will clearly convey the message that “Irish Health”. That would be far more sensible than the name health.ie in my view! ). But your point is that hold time is an important factor!

I have yet to test what would be the result of outbound possibilities. Google analytics show that all domains of my portfolio receive a good number of traffic each day. So hopefully that traffic would translate some sales soon. At first I priced the names in 4 high digits and now I lowered it in 3 digits! Once Irish entrepreneurs realize the value of .irish names expect it to generate a boost like that XYZ currently gets.

•••
You are fishing in the wrong pond, my friend. Always, always, always do your research.
Had you tried properly in .COM, .NET, .ORG, .CO, .IO and similar extensions, things may have been very different, possibly.
Next up, here is my advice. Forget the .irish extensions and names, and whatever you did so far.
Start reading for 1 month or close to 100+ hours on namePros, podcasts, DNjournal, DomainSherpa etc. Take notes, and then start off again. I am sure your journey would be very different.

Let me know if you try that out.

•••
I've been taking on too many responsibilities.
I took responsibility for taking on too many responsibilities.
I need help to responsibly take on fewer responsibilities so that I can have less responsibilities, and therefore be a more responsible person (without having too many responsibilities).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back