NameSilo

.pro domains...

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

redtophank

Established Member
Impact
3
Anything important I should know before purchasing one for myself? I'm a .pro believer, especially after reading the popular thread here, I just want to make sure I know anything I should know before letting go of that much money for a single domain.

I've heard you can have problems transferring them, etc...

I plan to register one tonight, so please let me know. Thanks so much!
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Unless you hold credentials in two professions such as a CPA, lawyer, doctor, or engineer, you can't really register within the reigstry rules. Encirca has created a work-around where they are actually the registrant for you, which is what was done with most if not all .pro names in the secondary market. Registrypro and ICANN have pretty much turned a blind eye to it for quite a while. If you register, just make sure you know the rules and consider the risks.

ICAAN registry contract:
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/pro/registry-agmt-appl-03mar02.htm

Registry rules:
http://www.registrypro.pro/support_faq.htm

Encirca's work around to the professional credential rules:
http://www.encirca.com/html/proforwarding.shtml

Specifically note this part:
# Your domain is registered in the name of EnCirca's ProForwarding Service, so that we can submit and maintain the professional credentials required for .pro domain names.

# You retain the FULL BENEFITS of domain registration. As Admin, Technical and Billing Contact: You can sell, renew or cancel your domain; set-up the nameservers for your domain; and resolve disputes involving your domain.

As far as ICANN or Registrypro are concerned, you are NOT the legal domain registrant. You are in effect leasing it from encirca with similar rights to a registrant given by them. My main concern would be that if they went the way of Registerfly, you could lose your domain since you are not the legal owner/registrant per ICANN rules and may not have the rights you have under other TLD's.

Is it still worth the risk? Maybe or Probably. But don't go into it without knowing the situation. As an end user for the long term, I'd certainly have concerns if I knew I wasn't listed as the actual "registrant".
 
0
•••
I would suggest buying a name that you plan to develop. You won't see much PPC traffic and the resale market is anything but a sure thing for .pro right now. If you develop a simple site, however, you may find that you're able to get enough traffic and ad revenue so that the domain will pay for it's reg fee. At that point you are set to hold the domain for the long term and watch it's value increase without worrying about renewal costs. I see a lot of people registering a .pro and expecting to get 10x the reg fee in a sale within the next week. While this might happen, I don't think it's a realistic expectation.

With regards to the registration issues mentioned by the poster above, I would agree with the point that if Encrica goes out of business or the like that there may be a big mess. Barring that scenario, I don't see anything different about registering through Encrica or any other registrar. In my research I've found there is much evidence to support the notion that the .pro extension will eventually be "opened up" allowing for anyone to register a name directly at which point it can be certain that a massive "land rush" will ensue.
 
0
•••
I personally have owned and sold .pro domains with no problem. That is not a thumbs up for everyone. But it is a simple statement of fact.

(Taking offers above $500 for Videogame.Pro)
 
1
•••
with so many extensions out there I personally dont have much faith in .pro extension.
 
0
•••
Lawns.Pro going for $399
 
0
•••
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back