IT.COM

Pricing Domains @ DAN.com & Afternic

NameSilo
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
Ok, so the majority of my existing .com portfolio is listed at Afternic with BIN (to take advantage of their Fast Transfer service and audience reach). The same names are also listed at DAN.com - offers only.

No sales through Afternic so far (at least for 3 months or so) so I'm wondering if its time to switch around?

Have you had better experience with one or the other? What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last year Afternic for me far outperformed any other distribution channel even though I have make offer with modest minimums at Dan and generally lower BINs on my EFTY landing pages.

•••
You ask a good question about sales probability at a venue. Since we do not have stats for either, it is difficult to answer. Except for those with huge portfolios, individual stats will not be very statistically significant.

Generally it seems to me that where the DNS points to, i.e. where the lander is, is likely to be where the name sells.

You might try something selective. For example, if some of your names would benefit from an upfront payment plan option, that might be a reason to offer those at DAN.

The reach of the Afternic premium network is not to be discounted though.

So, I took many words to say, I don't know! :xf.grin:

Best wishes for success whatever you choose to do.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
What do you think?

I think the quality of your domain and maybe where it points to,
determines if a sale could happen and which platform it would be negotiated thru.

imo...

•••
Have you had better experience with one or the other? What do you think?

The offer of free/low priced escrow from Epik has made me rethink things for 2020. I will use voodoo to park and take advantage of their contact form that will offer a fixed 'buy it now' price for some names, 'buy it now with min offer' for some and for top tier names 'make offer' only with a minimum set for contact based on the quality of the name.

Due to hassles, charge backs, delays, etc. I am done selling with taking paypal as a payment option. I always offer bank transfer but the security of selling with Epik (for me and the buyer) is a plus. I always give the option for a buyer to use afternic, uniregistry or godaddy for purchase, but I add 20% if they want to take one of those avenues.

•••
The offer of free/low priced escrow from Epik has made me rethink things for 2020. I will use voodoo to park and take advantage of their contact form that will offer a fixed 'buy it now' price for some names, 'buy it now with min offer' for some and for top tier names 'make offer' only with a minimum set for contact based on the quality of the name.

Due to hassles, charge backs, delays, etc. I am done selling with taking paypal as a payment option. I always offer bank transfer but the security of selling with Epik (for me and the buyer) is a plus. I always give the option for a buyer to use afternic, uniregistry or godaddy for purchase, but I add 20% if they want to take one of those avenues.

So I assume those listed at Afternic are 'Make Offer'?

•••
All names listed on Sedo at make offer -

90% of my names point to Afternic ns3 & ns4 servers for the next 6 months to see what/if anything happens and all of these are BIN at Afternic with most having a floor price so I do not need to negotiate.

Saying this my last sale was via a price enquiry on Afternic, but I want to test the waters with their landers and BIN model - I have had a couple of sales via their make offer option though......

My last offer strangely enough came through a Godaddy listing (even though it is on Afternic as well) so I need to submit all my names there to make offer to see if there is any traction....

A few have Epik Landers

A handful on Dan - need to get rid of my listings on there completely......

•••
So I assume those listed at Afternic are 'Make Offer'?

If it is a name that I have a buy it now on at voodoo, anywhere else I list it with a buy it now option, I automatically add 20%. If it is a make offer only name at any marketplace, and the buyer appears to be legitimate, I let them know if they use Epik, it will be cheapest but it would be roughly 20% more to use one of the other options (afternic, uniregistry or godaddy). Hope that all makes sense...I'm late as usual getting out of the door.:xf.smile:

•••
A handful on Dan - need to get rid of my listings on there completely......
Interested if willing to indicate why you are saying this? Surely having a name listed at more places increases, at least somewhat, the chance of a sale? I can see why perhaps not making the effort to list multiple places, but not sure why one would take them off. Why not simply leave them up as Make Offer. Just don't see the downside.

The offer of free/low priced escrow from Epik
I realize you said free/low, but just so no one reading this misunderstands as always free, as I understand it there is a $75 fee if the domain is registered somewhere other than Epik, and also in some cases payment-related fees Rob explains them clearly in this post.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-escrow-and-fee-comparison.1120274/#post-7071663

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Interested if willing to indicate why you are saying this? Surely having a name listed at more places increases, at least somewhat, the chance of a sale? I can see why perhaps not making the effort to list multiple places, but not sure why one would take them off. Why not simply leave them up as Make Offer. Just don't see the downside.

I realize you said free/low, but just so no one reading this misunderstands as always free, as I understand it there is a $75 fee if the domain is registered somewhere other than Epik, and also in some cases payment-related fees Rob explains them clearly in this post.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-escrow-and-fee-comparison.1120274/#post-7071663

Bob
Good question Bob,

I don't like the amount of low ball, non paying time wasters that they attract (DAN)
I prefer the look of Epik's landers as I get to choose the way they look
I also want to test the effect of having the Godaddy name on Afternic's landers has....

All my names have landers but as you can only have 1 I have decided the majority will be with Afternic for the next 6 months with a handful on Epik and then review.....

•••

Bob
Bob,

As this post is a year old, and there was some lively discussion on the "If you are not using Epik.com for escrow, you are wasting time and money!", it may be worth clarifying with Rob that these fees are to date unchanged.

@Rob Monster

Are these still precisely the same fees as they pertain to NP members, or have they been restructured alongside the launch of escrow.epik.com?

Cheers,
Joshua

•••
it may be worth clarifying with Rob that these fees are to date
It is a good point. The $75 minimum is still what they show today on their webpage here if you scroll down to Simple Principles.
https://escrow.epik.com/

But a good idea to confirm with @Rob Monster so thank you for tagging him. In case they do not apply to Epik members.

Bob

•••
I still have dozens of domains at SEDO which get offer page views but it has been several years since my last SEDO sale. I decided to set the name servers on those domains to DAN to see if any offers cam through. The minimum offer may prevent the lowballed from wasting my time but I have not seen many offers through DAN. I do have one open now but my experience with that is the offers are actually peoe who want buy Bitcoin rather than the domain itself.

•••
Bob,

As this post is a year old, and there was some lively discussion on the "If you are not using Epik.com for escrow, you are wasting time and money!", it may be worth clarifying with Rob that these fees are to date unchanged.

@Rob Monster

Are these still precisely the same fees as they pertain to NP members, or have they been restructured alongside the launch of escrow.epik.com?

Cheers,
Joshua

No changes there.

If the domain is on Epik at the start of the transaction, the buyer is paying via wire or BTC, and the seller is a NP member, we can process an escrow transaction without fee.

In this case, the sell-side and buy-side risk are both essentially zero. As such, it just becomes an alternative way for a seller to fund their Epik account even if they redeem their proceeds immediately.

The new real-time escrow dashboard and process automation is making the experience increasingly efficient and 24/7 while still having the overlay of concierge support as before. High tech. High touch.

•••
No changes there.

If the domain is on Epik at the start of the transaction, the buyer is paying via wire or BTC, and the seller is a NP member, we can process an escrow transaction without fee.

In this case, the sell-side and buy-side risk are both essentially zero. As such, it just becomes an alternative way for a seller to fund their Epik account even if they redeem their proceeds immediately.

The new real-time escrow dashboard and process automation is making the experience increasingly efficient and 24/7 while still having the overlay of concierge support as before. High tech. High touch.

When initiating a transaction, there exists an option to select the payment method for the seller. What is this for? If it's to pay the escrow fee, why is it not simply taken out of the overall transaction price, at settlement?

Cheers,
Joshua

•••
When initiating a transaction, there exists an option to select the payment method for the seller. What is this for? If it's to pay the escrow fee, why is it not simply taken out of the overall transaction price, at settlement?

Cheers,
Joshua

We have situations where the buyer wants to pay in BTC and the seller wants Euro or USD. Or vice versa. So, we try to anticipate that when managing treasury operations, e.g. where to hold balances. For example, we save folks a lot of money by moving USD to Transferwise, and then converting to Euros there.

•••
We have situations where the buyer wants to pay in BTC and the seller wants Euro or USD. Or vice versa. So, we try to anticipate that when managing treasury operations, e.g. where to hold balances. For example, we save folks a lot of money by moving USD to Transferwise, and then converting to Euros there.

Ahhh - so it's the payout being selected in this drop-box, not the fee payment method. Understood.

Thanks, Rob.

•••

Thanks for posting the link...I figured Rob would respond at some point (for those that missed it, see above).

•••
Good question Bob,

I don't like the amount of low ball, non paying time wasters that they attract (DAN)
I prefer the look of Epik's landers as I get to choose the way they look
I also want to test the effect of having the Godaddy name on Afternic's landers has....

All my names have landers but as you can only have 1 I have decided the majority will be with Afternic for the next 6 months with a handful on Epik and then review.....

Can you provide us with an update? Afternic, DAN or Epik - Which one got you the most offers and sales?

•••
Back