NameSilo

advice Preventing loss of brand name domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Cal2

Top Member
Impact
After reading the OP on the following 2 threads: What are the best practices to prevent losing a brand name domain you want to sell or keep for a time before selling, while the market develops - eg. VR domains. I'm meaning without having to do things like file a trademark once you get it, or start an actual business using it. If there's a thread that already answered this well enough, could someone post a link.

Startup Sues A Domain Name Owner To Grab A 16-Year-Old URL
https://www.namepros.com/threads/startup-sues-a-domain-name-owner-to-grab-a-16-year-old-url.867613/

Microsoft Files HoloNotes and HoloShot Trademarks
https://www.namepros.com/threads/microsoft-files-holonotes-and-holoshot-trademarks.865606/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Adding to my OP: There's other brand name domains that I'm thinking to develop at some point for projects I'm doing and will be doing. Some will be a little while till I get to them. Best way to prevent the loss of them?

•••
I would say start a informational site like a personal blog - grab some content and put it there..using wordpress or something...

•••
I would say start a informational site like a personal blog - grab some content and put it there..using wordpress or something...

I'm wondering if that would be enough in some instances? Eg. You have a 3D printing domain name that you're going to be offering 3D products or services through at some point. But if it's just an info blog when someone TM's the name for offering 3D products or services before you get to doing the same things, wouldn't that then exclude your using the domain for such things, should they care to come after you about it?

•••
well 3D is is a generic technology which cannot be TM'd. If you are just 'technology fan' and discussing it in your blog, that shows you have bona fide interest in the technology and hence you have a name for that.

•••
Right now I'm thinking that showing interest through a blog wouldn't be enough to later use it commercially in ways that someone has a TM on it, even if the TM was taken out after you'd registered the domain.

On my 3D example: The brand name doesn't have to have '3D' in it to be suggestive/representative of 3D printing - eg. PrintMyPet might be the brand name. But it also could have 3D in it and still be a brand name, where other terms used are what's claimed to be the trademarked part. Eg 3DPrintMyPet, where 'PrintMyPet' is the TM'd element. Or maybe it would be 'MyPet' as the TM'd element, if the full term '3DPrint' was considered the generic. That's my understanding of TMs to this point, anyway.

•••

i had done it and it's my best choice.

BTW: i added disclaimer, haven't use any google adsense / affiliate products. Everyone have rights to write about what they love / using it. In this way they can't blame you unless you are involved commercially in anyway.

Read: http://kotaku.com/oculus-fights-fan-group-over-oculusrift-com-1714962624

Oculus take down the website but not domain because it's a fan site.

let's see what others think about it.

•••
if you don't spam people with solicitations, then who knows you own it?

let them find you, then leverage is on your side

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back